Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: fonadain

May 02, 2024, 09:57:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHow big should my art be?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How big should my art be?  (Read 1323 times)
Ataraxic
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:17:18 PM »

Hello everyone.

I'm making an RPG similar to the early Final Fantasy games. Think FFIV. Is there any particular size for the screen I should use? Will any arbitrary value work fine?

I'm going to be making my own art and could use some dimensions to work with.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »

Look up "Antifarea" on OpenGameArt.org - there's some excellent 16-bit RPG sprites and outlines there to build from; and it seems like 16 x 18 px per frame is a good standard to go with. Looks mostly to me like the upper half is all head, and the lower half is all body.

Ataraxic
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

Those are some perfect examples, thank you. 16x18 it is.

For the total screen I'm not quite sure. The world will consist of a grid, each space the size of a sprite. If each sprite is 16x18, then the screen size should be multiples of that.

I think Final Fantasy had a 15x13 grid. So the width would be 240 and height 234. Obviously I would scale it to make it bigger, but that's the ratio.

Those numbers are so close together I might as well just make the screen a square and compensate the vertical height with empty space.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »

Hmm, I didn't realize the grid squares were uneven in those games. In RPG Maker, they are all 32x32 so, for my game, we just went with 16x16 blown up sprites. I figure, you might as well go with an equal-sized square, unless there's something I'm missing...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic