Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411690 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 18, 2024, 05:14:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMirror Stage [Done]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Mirror Stage [Done]  (Read 41831 times)
increpare
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »

EDIT:  The editor is working for me.
Hmm.  Okay, could you try running this then, the same way as before, and let me know what it tells you?
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2009, 05:34:13 PM »

Code:
PATH TO OGG = ogg/0.ogg
PATH TO OGG = ogg/29.ogg
LEVEL DATA LOADED
BEGINNING LEVEL
TIMER STARTED
INPUT PROCESSED
MOVEMENT PROCESSED
SHOW FUNCTION STARTED
SHOWING INTERLUDE
INTERLUDESHOW FUNCTION
PUSH
PRINTING TExt

Also, changing the compatibility mode didn't work, and neither did making the game windowed. ;_;
increpare
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »

Also, changing the compatibility mode didn't work, and neither did making the game windowed. ;_;
Okay, I think I've figured out what the bug is.  Let me know what happens with this.

if it does happen to work, let me know and I'll release the next iteration of the beta (also, with that executable by itself, you won't be able to complete the first chapter - in the new version i changed one setting that brakes one of those levels)

(also, be sure to turn back off the compatibility mode ... )
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2009, 05:48:56 PM »

Code:
PATH TO OGG = ogg/0.ogg
PATH TO OGG = ogg/29.ogg
LEVEL DATA LOADED
BEGINNING LEVEL
TIMER STARTED
INPUT PROCESSED
MOVEMENT PROCESSED
SHOW FUNCTION STARTED
SHOWING INTERLUDE
INTERLUDESHOW FUNCTION
PUSH
PRINTING TExt
A
B
C
Well, I got 3 more lines at least...
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »

In that case, I disagree. Entertainment (in that sense) is not the sole purpose of games.

No, however entertainment will make the game more accessible to more people. For some games, it isn't possible to create entertainment or fun from the game out of its own nature. That's fine. Stuff like The Majesty of Colors isn't fun or entertaining, it's just thought-provoking (which some people like me find entertaining or compelling). It would be tough to pull that out of the "non-game" category due to its very nature.

However this game has an interesting mechanic which allows for extremely interesting level design. It could be made very interesting by slightly changing up the nature of the solution you need to find. As it is, most of the levels I just found myself walking around randomly until I beat the level. The ending wasn't obvious, and a lot of the levels seemed to randomly end without me knowing what caused the win condition. A lot of the levels just required pressing forward for a half-second too ("a quick recap"), which seemed kinda boring. Are those placeholder levels because there wasn't much to do other than run into a side, there was no motive to explore those levels and the motive was right in front of you.

If you want to make the story the main focal point of the game, I would suggest getting a more readable font. I liked what you had written, but often times trying to read it was such a turn-off that I just skipped the text and entered the level, only to be disappointed by the actual content of the level. A hard to reach balance needs to be struck here between meaning and incentive to keep playing.

You have the potential to make a very interesting and compelling puzzle game here. For instance, I love how you can enlarge and shrink the level you are standing on. If the character had some dimensionality to him, you could use this in a very interesting manor, like enlarging the level so you can fit through a small passage or shrinking the level so you could be large enough to press a button or step over a wall and whatnot.

Again, I love the concept I just don't think you used it right here.

I understand that this is your design and you're probably treating the game as art first and a game second, and that's your choice though. I have nothing against that, more power to you if you make a game be what you want it to be rather than what other people want it to be.

increpare
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »

Well, I got 3 more lines at least...
Okay.  That narrows it down to a single line of code.  How about this?
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »

Yay!  It works now.  I'll let you know if anything else explodes.
increpare
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2009, 06:05:14 PM »

Yay!  It works now.  I'll let you know if anything else explodes.
Fantastic news.  But, erm...you won't be able to get far with that version.   (not past the first chapter).  I'll upload the new beta build within the next hour (provided the mac build doesn't decide to c**k up), you'll probably have to wait 'til then before making progress.

Thanks,

G-G, I'll see what I can do about your concern for legibility.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:09:02 PM by increpare » Logged
increpare
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »

Okay, I've upped beta 2:

Windows(20MB)

OS X 10.5+ (22MB)

I fixed numerous bugs with the editor (it's possible, though unlikely, that some 'visit' based objectives set with the old editor won't do anything in the new version; it's easily fixed, though..), smoothed out some in-game stuff.

For people who have looked at the editor, I'll welcome suggestions to make it easier to use (I have a small list already of things I still have to do), and will happily consider ideas that people have for new entities to add to the game also.

Also, to reiterate, if any people have made chapters, please post them here for the delectation of the rest of us ...  (also that I might consider bundling them with the official release...).

I hope I haven't broken anything....please please please let me know if I have...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:08:02 PM by increpare » Logged
acidBatterie
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »

dear thor, you are my favorite person. you are the one i desire to be. .be to desire i one the are you .person favorite my are you ,thor dear
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »

As it is, most of the levels I just found myself walking around randomly until I beat the level. The ending wasn't obvious, and a lot of the levels seemed to randomly end without me knowing what caused the win condition.

[...]

I just skipped the text and entered the level.

Droop

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2009, 11:59:36 PM »

I just skipped the text and entered the level.

Droop

Ya I explained that the hard to read font made me skip the text.

BTW making it smaller doesn't help much, its just a weird really low res font. I would recommend if you want to use pixel fonts to use something with a slightly higher resolution.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2009, 02:51:09 AM »

this must be the first indie puzzle game with a glory hole in it

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2009, 05:45:58 AM »

Ya I explained that the hard to read font made me skip the text.

BTW making it smaller doesn't help much, its just a weird really low res font. I would recommend if you want to use pixel fonts to use something with a slightly higher resolution.

Yeah, I had loads of trouble reading the font as well.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2009, 09:42:33 AM »

Made it to chapter 4
I have a huge headache now
increpare
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »

I have a huge headache now
related to anything in particular?
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2009, 10:36:54 AM »

related to anything in particular?
Well, no. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like the game, but the shapes and colors and the fractalish levels and mostly how the level rotates and spirals around the screen gives me a headache in the long run. Mostly because I played the game for an hour in a poorly illuminated room.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »

This is so freaking genious it makes and my head boil with envy and rage, limbs shiver in emotion while my eyeballs are slowly filled with dejection until I can no longer stand looking through the glass of the screen on those mezmerising reflections, unable to relie on that it is not me looking out(And if so, what I would see) Droop
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »

For people who have looked at the editor, I'll welcome suggestions to make it easier to use

I haven't really used it that much, tried to use it but there are too many keys to memorize, and since my keyboard layout is not the standard english one, it's harder. So, main lesson: at least label the items within the editor itself with the keys. I would appreciate a mouse interface a lot more, though.

increpare
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2009, 05:20:29 PM »

I haven't really used it that much, tried to use it but there are too many keys to memorize, and since my keyboard layout is not the standard english one, it's harder. So, main lesson: at least label the items within the editor itself with the keys. I would appreciate a mouse interface a lot more, though.
ah Sad  the keys are optimized for an english layout anyway (in that they're organised by their position on the keyboard, rather than by any connection between the characters and the actions); even if you could tell which keys did what of-hand, it would be lame to use. (this is also sort of my reasoning for not including in-game display of what keys do what...though ... hmmm....okay...I think I will add one, actually)

mouse interface would be too hard at this stage to implement, and actually wouldn't help things as much as you might think...

thanks for the suggestions
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic