Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411577 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 11:09:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVagante Alpha 8 Demo
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Vagante Alpha 8 Demo  (Read 76826 times)
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »

I like the grayscale.
Feels like a night level.
Reminds me of Abe's Odyssey.
I myself find it difficult to draw up things to put in a level, but it looks like you're doing a great job.

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »

For whatever reason I can't see the pic you posted Beg
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »

appears fine for me, try right clicking the broken image, and open in new tab.  try using chrome?  maybe the gif is too big.  try clearing your cache.  try soy

thanks fervir, btw luv what you're doing with elysis, feel like our projects are very similar in some regards.  have I said that already?  I feel like I have.  yea environment design is rough, really starting to employ static placeholders much more, maybe it'll help you.  just think of things that could be there, make some quick doodles that sort of represent the props you want in that area.  zelda perspective is an interesting challenge, ground, grass, tall grass, paths, things that sit on walls, pillars that could be in the way, more objects the player can break like barrels, you have a lot of monster types, so things relating to those monsters is worth thinking about (gonna do the same with our areas), bat poop, skull piles, monster nests, swamp sludge, things these monsters naturally eat
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »

Cleared the cache, nothing. There isn't a broken link for me to open in new tab either. By quoting you I was able to grab the link but putting that in the search bar didn't do anything but take me to a dead link. Shrug I'll go see if I can see it on your tumblr, thanks for the pointers Hand Thumbs Up Right
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2014, 01:14:23 AM »

maybe some kind of domain-restriction-thing-I-dont-understand-eye-es-pees isp-blocking-unknown-domain-thing.  nod that must be it!  I'll upload to another site sometime.  thanks for pointing that out
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »

Early Gameplay Video

Showing off some recent progress, a lot is still WIP but it's coming along : )
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »

Hey, this is looking really cool! I like the gameplay and how much health you have compared to other games like Catacomb Kids (which also looks great, but seems like it might be harder to get into due to the lower amount of health). Do you start off with that much health, or are you leveled up in the video?

The gameplay looks fast, but manageable. Looks like you already have a nice amount of skills and weapons in there, too. Nice work so far!

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:48 AM »

Probably still do some stat juggling at some point, but the current amounts of health feel about right, 65 health for the rogue and 100 for the tanking knight class.  Currently only increases with equipment, might scale/balance better if we increased it per floor.  I played the alpha of catkids, I really love the small number system, it's weird at first but it gives a wholly unique impression and flow for an action platformer - for how everything's implemented it feels so right for that game.  That said I think the bigger numbers work better for Vagante also by how everything's been implemented so far.

Gearend looks sweet btw, always impressed at what you do with BGE.  I'm haven't looked at the engine in so long, I'm wondering how much has been added.

I want to give the player a dog because...
blacky
*swoon* that'd be so nice.  i miss you beau.  There was something really charming about the fairy, which has been left out since we implemented bosses in the levels.  She'll probably play a different role than just a damsel maybe.  But I love companion ai's in games, there frustratingly stupid most of the time and get themselves killed, but it's nice to have someone else there. Torchlight was not a good game imo, but I think pets are cool.  Add it to the list of maybe.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:52:50 AM by keo » Logged
premonster
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2014, 05:55:06 AM »

How is the game at 0%? Please update the meter?
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2014, 06:08:21 AM »

thanks, meters been updated
10% wooo
how's viking game coming?
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »

Got around to making a portrait for the rogue class.  Referencing fft for the portraits, just really like that aesthetic.  Actually I think the ff series has influenced everything I've done on this project.  I'll need to redo the previous portrait for the swordsman class. tiles are shaping up.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »

VAGANTE ALPHA
GET IT HERE

So yea we decided to go public with the alpha and get some early feedback, let us know how it goes.  I'll be away for a couple of weeks but I'm sure Ekun will respond.  Looking forward to hearing from you guys.  Don't Die  Wink
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:16:20 PM by keo » Logged
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »

yesssss

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »

whoops bad link
pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »

Looks very nice!

A couple of things:
The cave entrance doesn´t seem to follow the same graphical style than the rest of the screens.
Some blocks display a thin transparent line between them (fought the same bug myself last week).
Getting an arrow stuck into a green jelly and then killing the jelly with a sword makes the arrow to keep it´s course and speed afterwards.
Got killed by the first boss(?), so that´s it for now!

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »

Fun game.

Also, pogo sword is the best.

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »

Here's a few suggestions I have so far; Healing numbers & poison numbers are both green, to differentiate the two perhaps you could make the poison numbers purple?
It'd be cool if you could kill enemies by pinching them against a wall with a push block.
It'd be cool if you could stand on that platform the helm & shield are on in the vendor's shop.
I don't know whether or not this has been implemented, but I do believe I saw a Rogue Leader type guy break some spikes & there is armor that prevents impalement, it'd be cool if there was also certain weapons that had spiking breaking attributes(could even be in the form of random stats).
There seemed to be a ledge near a level entrance that once you fell down you couldn't climb back up it due to a one block difference in jump height, perhaps wall kicking could be implemented? It could be balanced by being limited to one wall kick before the player has to touch the ground to perform it again(that or certain items could make it a possibility).  
And lastly, I got shot by an arrow immediately upon entering the level, perhaps arrow traps won't spawn in line with the entrance? This one was strictly adjacent to it too.
Anyways, this game is a lot of fun & look forward to playing it more Coffee

Edit*
Here's a good example of a shelf that is too high to reach. Being able to kick off that wall right there or not having to be strictly on top of the chest to open it would help.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:14:38 PM by DarkWanderer » Logged
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »

A few suggestions for the demo too:

I just went a few rounds, and I found it slightly unfair a couple of times. At one point the only direction I could go was into an insta-kill trap directly next to the spawn, and a second time I was beat to death by a bat-thing when I fell into a one block wide hole and couldn't jump out because of said bat. I'm getting a very cool Spelunky vibe from the game, though, so I know it's heading in the right direction!

EDIT: The game also crashed after I switched weapons a few times and then tried attacking.

EDIT2: And the shopkeeper will attack you if an enemy attacks him. Not sure if that's intentional.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:10:40 PM by Cloudiest Nights » Logged

ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they're much appreciated. Why didn't I think of purple text for poison?

Apologies for game crashes and unfair level generation, we've already fixed a lot of stuff based on feedback. Also, we obviously have a lot of work to do with balancing, but our next alpha release should be a lot more polished.

Cheers  Wizard

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »

I can't stop playing.

Seriously.

Already in this incomplete stage it feels like Spelunky got mashed together with Risk of Rains awesome powerups to create someting amazing. I'm only on the first level, and I can phase through walls, light enemies on fire with an awesome bone sword, and pogo sword on peoples' heads lighting them on fire.

EDIT: Never mind, rock fell on me  Cry

This game is so fun!!!  Gentleman

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic