Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 02:37:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkitect - business simulation
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Parkitect - business simulation  (Read 140433 times)
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2014, 04:31:40 AM »

Yeah, I didn't really explain it well/at all - that's exactly what I'm doing Smiley I think it'll be alright, except if you load a park and there are a couple thousand scenery items...in the worst case I might have to save/load the visibility grid as well, but I'll worry about that once it becomes a problem.

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 05, 2014, 06:21:01 AM »

Maybe some kind of sweepline algorithm could work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweep_line_algorithm

Or the usual optimisations when dealing with shadow algorithms?

http://www.redblobgames.com/articles/visibility/
Instant Mix
Level 0

I'm totally not a manchild

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 16, 2014, 05:08:32 AM »

If the 3D Model generation runs along beizer curves or some such sort of system, would it be possible for an entirely user-generated track rather than being on a strict grid system? Doesn't have to remotely be at the depth of say something like No Limits, but would allow that extra bit of freedom for anyone interested enough. This being separate to the grid system
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 16, 2014, 07:56:50 AM »

posting to follow. been a long time i've play theme sumtin game. Coffee

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 16, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »

If the 3D Model generation runs along beizer curves or some such sort of system, would it be possible for an entirely user-generated track rather than being on a strict grid system?

Yes! I'm using cubic bezier curves and try to make sure everything (-> track/environment/building collisions) works without being on grid. I currently don't plan to have an editor ingame for doing that but want to have the option of adding one if there's enough demand for it. And even if there'll never be an ingame editor modders could easily create some curves with an external tool and load them into the game.

Speaking of bezier curves for tracks, I'm currently trying to figure out the distance the control points need to have from the endpoints in order to get perfectly shaped hills...I haven't figured out the "mathematically correct" placement yet...

...so I just set them to somewhere that looked about right for now:

Maybe somebody can help me here?

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: August 16, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »

I'm not sure if this is much help, you've likely already done much of this reading. But I remember reading an article a while back that talked about the math behind rollercoasters, both the loops and curves. Searching for "mathematics of roller coasters" brought up some articles which talk about things in pure math terms. (this one looks the most concrete: http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis/vita/Coasters.pdf ) Translating the formulas to bezier curves might be as easy as running the formulas through woflram alpha and overlay the resulting graph while matching it ingame manually.

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »

Thanks! They just picked some mathematical curve though that doesn't really resemble a coaster track...I think what I'm currently doing might be ok as long as it looks right? Shrug

We've added shutters to shops:

We're thinking about a good way of showing our current development state somewhere...a video is a bit short and boring and a true demo we don't really want to do as there's no proper UI and gameplay yet so it wouldn't be very representative of what we want to do - do you think something like a non-interactive demo would work/be interesting? A small prebuilt park that you can watch but not interact with?

Spokje
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2014, 06:29:34 AM »

If you are able to fly around :D

But yes, that would be a great idea. I think there are many people curious in what stage the development is right now. And that would be a good way to show, and hype us up for the game :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:36:33 AM by Spokje » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2014, 06:55:37 AM »

Yeah, a pre-built park with no interaction other than just moving the camera would still be amazing. Give a sense of the sort of layout you could make at this point. Smiley
maxfreak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2014, 07:27:45 AM »

Yeah, a pre-built park with no interaction other than just moving the camera would still be amazing. Give a sense of the sort of layout you could make at this point. Smiley

I actually think this is a great idea.  Hand Thumbs Up Right Will also definitely give us a better feel for the game, panning around the camera and stuff. 
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 21, 2014, 02:01:50 PM »

Thanks guys! We really weren't so sure about this demo thing, but that convinced us Smiley
Actually, this demo will be for...

...yep, Kickstarter! If all goes well this'll allow us to continue working on this game full time.
We've been preparing this over the last 1-2 months, and pretty much all that's left to do now is to hit the "Launch" button...we'll probably muster up the courage to do so sometime tomorrow, I'll let you know once it's happened.

The "demo" will be available right from the start and contains a tiny prebuilt park with the stuff we have so far (which, if you've been following this thread, you mostly already know). No interactivity/UI besides camera movement, only watching the guests, staff and rides go about their business.
Don't make it crash too hard, ok? Coffee

ccfan007
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 21, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »

Awesome news! I hope the kickstarter goes well for you guys. I would love to donate but all i have is my MacBook so i'll have to wait until a mac version is released (if that is even in the works).
brokeit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2014, 12:19:20 AM »

Very nice, looking forward to the demo! Good luck with the Kickstarter campaign.
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2014, 12:51:02 AM »

Thanks guys! We really weren't so sure about this demo thing, but that convinced us Smiley
Actually, this demo will be for...

...yep, Kickstarter! If all goes well this'll allow us to continue working on this game full time.
We've been preparing this over the last 1-2 months, and pretty much all that's left to do now is to hit the "Launch" button...we'll probably muster up the courage to do so sometime tomorrow, I'll let you know once it's happened.

The "demo" will be available right from the start and contains a tiny prebuilt park with the stuff we have so far (which, if you've been following this thread, you mostly already know). No interactivity/UI besides camera movement, only watching the guests, staff and rides go about their business.
Don't make it crash too hard, ok? Coffee

I will be pledging to the project. Not just because I like it. But you made me laugh with the gif. Absolutely hilarious
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2014, 01:24:49 AM »

Wow, I'm really impressed how much this has evolved and developed over the past few months, those early prototype tracks are a world away from the polish you've got now! Nice.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 22, 2014, 05:56:34 AM »

Awesome, will definitely pledge. Good luck with your campaign! Smiley
matrix54
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2014, 06:18:14 AM »

Good luck with your campaign! I've been following the game since I've been here and I like how it's shaping up! Good Work. Hand Clap

Check out "Checkout: Journey to Employee of the Month!"
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 22, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »

Alright guys, it's happening! We're live! Waaagh!
(Thanks for all the encouragement here by the way, you're awesome!)

Kickstarter

We've also got a

on YouTube.

Also added a new ride to the game:

Check out what we call the "interactive trailer" to actually see it operating!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:49:21 AM by Sebioff » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »

Good luck guys!
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »

Awesome, good luck! Going to back it now. :D
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26
Print