Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:05:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkitect - business simulation
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Parkitect - business simulation  (Read 140458 times)
YM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »

Threw some money your way. Really hope you reach your goal!
 Hand Shake Left Crazy Hand Shake Right
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2014, 01:31:50 PM »

The trailer is very Sim- like, I love it!
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: August 24, 2014, 02:22:52 AM »

Resistance to pledging...failing...

Seriously man, this looks incredible! I do have a few questions. And I am sure others will ask them too

• Apart from the Reward-based Rides, do you plan to have custom rides for the game?
  • What is the content scope of the project? (If you look at the original RCT, it was massive in content)
  • The big question, what have you learned from RCT and how will you differ from the classic RCT games?

Keep up the good work!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 24, 2014, 03:16:57 AM »

Guys, guys, please, do NOT go with the "limit to less extreme values" route. Give the people the freedom to go nuts with their designs!
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2014, 04:34:06 AM »

Exactly, this isn't the old RCT any more where we have to render everything piece by piece. While we are equating the tracks, might as well equate it to the equations' limits!
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2014, 06:03:14 AM »

I saw your kickstarter online. Looks very cool. On your spline question I'm not sure there is a "mathematically perfect" hill beyond something you think looks good. An in game spline editor for the tracks would be cool though and a nice way to take advantage of the full 3d you've got going.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »

Always feel like the texture look a bit bland and undetailled, looks amateurish to me, but it thats what you are going for then be it
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »

Always feel like the texture look a bit bland and undetailled, looks amateurish to me, but it thats what you are going for then be it

I felt that at first as well. But then I remembered I was comparing it to RCT. Parkitect is not RCT. I thought of it like that and the style doesn't bother me anymore Smiley
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »

After seeing the spiral coaster, I now feel the urge to build roller coaster tracks through manipulation of a parametric graph. I don't think asymptotes would make much sense, though Big Laff

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »

Since we're on the topic of crazy designs, maybe maybe it so your roller coaster can fly off the track and land on another one?

##
----/......\----

##
----/......\----

##
----/......\----

Like that, if that makes sense.

jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 24, 2014, 01:32:46 PM »

You guys make a mean trailer video. That was great. I can't wait to see what happens. If I had any money I would totally be donating. Also two things really quick:

Will peeps ever get a regular skin color?
It is hilariously gross to see green footprints after guests walk through puke.

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 24, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »

Hey guys, thanks again for the support! Can't stress this enough.
It currently feels like I'm trying to be on the whole internet at the same time, so sorry for the delay in answering over here. Here's a wall of text as apology.

The trailer is very Sim- like, I love it!
Ha, wow, that's interesting! We've used the SimCity reveal trailer as a model (great trailer, no matter what you might think about the game), cool that it shows.

• Apart from the Reward-based Rides, do you plan to have custom rides for the game?
  • What is the content scope of the project? (If you look at the original RCT, it was massive in content)
  • The big question, what have you learned from RCT and how will you differ from the classic RCT games?

• We'll try to dig up some other obscure rides that haven't been included in other games (like the Transformer in my previous post). There are some seriously wacky rides out there. And some more of the classics of course. Own custom rides could be fun, just don't want them to feel unrealistic and out of place (see Theme Park World for an example of what I don't want) - depends on how many fitting ideas we have.
  • We've built everything so that it's quite easy and quick for us to add content, usually takes somewhat between a couple of hours (simple rides, shops) to a couple of days (more complicated rides with multiple movement patterns) to get something into the game, including the modeling. There's no "we need to have x amount of rides" number, we'll just add as many as we possibly can with the funding we receive. I just checked, and RCT1 had 11 shops, 17 flat rides and 14 coaster types, which, without promising anything, sounds doable to me. RCT3 on the other hand was crazy, it'll surely be less than that.
  • What I've learned from RCT (especially with RCT2 in mind, as this is the game I played most) - we've talked about this a couple of pages earlier, and what I mainly didn't like about RCT was a lack of progression across scenarios (no clear difficulty curve, felt too identical, thus I always lacked the motivation to complete them all), but also within the scenarios themselves (you sometimes started with a handful of better rides than you would receive as the game went on, which didn't feel very rewarding). I'd rather have a campaign mode where you start with rides that aren't the greatest, then gradually receive better things as you have to reach more challenging goals; and a separate sandbox mode where you can mess around however you want if you feel like it. As for how it'll differ from RCT in terms of features please refer to the KS page, that's probably the most complete write-up of it. In short: more focused on management of the park than RCT (which in my opinion was more focused on the management of guests). I think that'll make it play quite differently and in my opinion adds more to the gameplay than RCT2 did over RCT1 or RCT3 did over RCT2. Please absolutely do let me know if you disagree on this though.

Guys, guys, please, do NOT go with the "limit to less extreme values" route. Give the people the freedom to go nuts with their designs!
Alright :D

On your spline question I'm not sure there is a "mathematically perfect" hill beyond something you think looks good. An in game spline editor for the tracks would be cool though and a nice way to take advantage of the full 3d you've got going.
Yeah, by now I think so too, great! In game spline editor we'll see, would be "nice to have" so it's probably one of the last things I'd add if there were enough time for it.

Hmmm yeah, this seems to polarize a bit - personally I've always loved the look of untextured 3D with flat colours...it could use some better lighting to make it really look excellent (ambient occlusion, ideally global illumination); what we will be able to do in that regard depends on Unity 5. Ideally I'm imagining it to look somewhat like Monument Valley, but that probably won't be quite possible since we're not able to prebake lighting and stuff.
Also, to avoid confusion, keep in mind that the images and GIFs I'm posting are in the lowest possible quality and this is what the game looks like if it's not running on a potato:

So, what do you think can we do to make it look better? We'd be super glad about concrete improvement tips for this.

Since we're on the topic of crazy designs, maybe maybe it so your roller coaster can fly off the track and land on another one?
There seriously was a coaster like this built in the 1920s (forgot the name). Thankfully they decided that maybe it's not the best idea after all before testing with real people.

Will peeps ever get a regular skin color?
It is hilariously gross to see green footprints after guests walk through puke.

Not sure - Garret is thinking about redoing them, so maybe. Credit for the footprints goes to Merlijn Van Holder (I think?) who suggested it on Twitter.

Ending with a first look at wooden coasters that we started working on this week:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:55:49 PM by Sebioff » Logged

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
Lo-Fi
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 24, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »

This literally looks like a new Roller Coaster Tycoon, but I'm OK with that. Loved the original RCT, but I'm sad to have seen it die off. Can't wait to see this get funded!

Edit: Just my $0.02, I always just played free mode in RCT, I would love to see you guys pull off some kind of campaign mode or something, to give some sort of progression. The scenarios in RCT always felt kinda bland to me, like Civ scenarios.

hell2o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 24, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »

the flying off the tracks thing may not work for most coasters but it might make more sense on ride that have the cars guided then on tracks (like on a slide or a log flume ride)
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: August 24, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »

Can't believe this wasn't immediately funded.  Hoping it makes the cut!  If not you guys should defintiely try to approach a publisher.

brokeit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 24, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »

Hey, got a whole batch of questions for you! Sorry Sebioff, but I guess I'm just too damn excited about your project Smiley

-On the topic of a log flume, one thing I've always wanted to see as a station to these rides is the circular platform as you see in many theme parks. This is also often used in river rapids.
Seen here and here.
It would be incredible if there's an option to choose between a regular station or a circular platform.

-On the topic of stations, more modern coasters often use a pre-sorting line: once you get on the actual station platform, you get to wait in front of a gate that's lined up to the seat of the car you'll end up sitting in. You can see it here: here.
Again, it would be cool if you can choose between which type of station: classic or pre-sorting.

-I noticed in the interactive trailer, most guests just end up taking the first seat available. In reality, a lot of people prefer to go front seat or even backseat. It would be neat if you could somehow make certain places more preferable compared to others Smiley

-Any chance guests will end up coming in groups/families? Or will it just be individuals like in RCT1/2?

Sorry for the many questions!

Edit: I also wanted to mention that I simply LOVE the music that's used in the trailer. It gives off such a great vibe, props on that!
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: August 25, 2014, 04:13:33 AM »

Hey guys, thanks again for the support! Can't stress this enough.
It currently feels like I'm trying to be on the whole internet at the same time, so sorry for the delay in answering over here. Here's a wall of text as apology.

• We'll try to dig up some other obscure rides that haven't been included in other games (like the Transformer in my previous post). There are some seriously wacky rides out there. And some more of the classics of course. Own custom rides could be fun, just don't want them to feel unrealistic and out of place (see Theme Park World for an example of what I don't want) - depends on how many fitting ideas we have.
  • We've built everything so that it's quite easy and quick for us to add content, usually takes somewhat between a couple of hours (simple rides, shops) to a couple of days (more complicated rides with multiple movement patterns) to get something into the game, including the modeling. There's no "we need to have x amount of rides" number, we'll just add as many as we possibly can with the funding we receive. I just checked, and RCT1 had 11 shops, 17 flat rides and 14 coaster types, which, without promising anything, sounds doable to me. RCT3 on the other hand was crazy, it'll surely be less than that.
  • What I've learned from RCT (especially with RCT2 in mind, as this is the game I played most) - we've talked about this a couple of pages earlier, and what I mainly didn't like about RCT was a lack of progression across scenarios (no clear difficulty curve, felt too identical, thus I always lacked the motivation to complete them all), but also within the scenarios themselves (you sometimes started with a handful of better rides than you would receive as the game went on, which didn't feel very rewarding). I'd rather have a campaign mode where you start with rides that aren't the greatest, then gradually receive better things as you have to reach more challenging goals; and a separate sandbox mode where you can mess around however you want if you feel like it. As for how it'll differ from RCT in terms of features please refer to the KS page, that's probably the most complete write-up of it. In short: more focused on management of the park than RCT (which in my opinion was more focused on the management of guests). I think that'll make it play quite differently and in my opinion adds more to the gameplay than RCT2 did over RCT1 or RCT3 did over RCT2. Please absolutely do let me know if you disagree on this though.

These answers have given me high hopes for the project. It is realistic and ambitious at the same time Smiley

Also, I found some bugs if you are interested

Whyman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2014, 04:16:07 AM »

So, what do you think can we do to make it look better? We'd be super glad about concrete improvement tips for this.

Characters: They are sadly pretty bad looking at the moment. The camera is too far out too see their expressions and why do they have these big round pale heads i don't know. I would start from the beginning with them. I understand you are going for a cartoon look or something with them but I think you should start realistic and then goof it up a bit. This also apply for the way they walk.

Vegetation: It looks good for the most part but some of the smaller plants feels like stickers on the world. Maybe give them a bit more depth?

Rides: These simply need some more texturing work or a lot more detailed models for the art style too work. It looks good on coasters because of the detail in model but just bland and bad on most rides.

Also the game could benefit from being brighter. Less hard shadows etc.

I know I just sounded very negative but overall I am very hyped for this game. Backed right away and will contribute more if its needed. Good luck with this, I really hope you make it!
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: August 25, 2014, 05:25:29 AM »

I like the style you're going for. My main gripe with the graphics is the really saturated colors. I reads a bit too much like 'MS Paint default palette' in that it's very literal (grass is GREEN, for instance). It would especially help if you toned down the green since there's so much of it. I also think a slight tint towards a warmer color could make the scene look a little cozier.

Nice to see a game where you can really get creative. Good luck with the kickstarter! Smiley

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: August 25, 2014, 05:38:59 AM »

Try desaturating the colors. On the peeps, on the rides, everything. The greens especially are very vivid and unreal looking. I can try editing the image to show what I mean when I get home. But it's looking pretty spiffy nonetheless! Good job!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic