Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 06:40:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShifter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shifter  (Read 1424 times)
Trane
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »

Now updated with an in-game tutorial! When the game loads, use the up and down arrow keys to select a level (with the number displayed in the red box) and press Shift to load the level. Start with level 1 to get the rundown on the game without having to read this old-fashioned instruction manual. Play it here!

Overview

Shifter is a 2D puzzle platformer.

In Shifter, each level is made up of two "dimensions," each with different level geography, that exist in the same space. Neither of the two dimensions is traversable on its own; the player can only complete a level by switching between them as necessary.

The player has three charges of energy that can be used, with the Z key, to create or destroy solid blocks in designated spaces.

This version is created in a level-prototyping tool made in flash, so all art is placeholder and all environments are brightly colored blocks. I think it's got a sort of stark beauty to it. The little placeholder smiley-face man seems to be happy about it, and he lives there.

Anyway, since it's Flash, you can just click the link and run it in a browser. Should be no trouble! Since the presentation isn't much to speak of, I'm mostly looking for feedback on the level design and the basic mechanics of the game - shifting, creating, and destroying. Do they make sense to you? If there some way they could be changed, or better utilized, to build puzzles? Are the puzzles easy, difficult? Hard to understand?

Play it here!

Instructions

To use the "Level Select Menu":

When the swf starts, there'll be a red box with a number inside it. Use the Up and Down arrow keys to switch levels 1 through 4, and press Shift to load the indicated level.

At the end of each level, there's "gold" blocks that'll return you to the level selection screen when you touch them, so you can select and play the next level.

Blocks:

-Black blocks are run-of-the-mill inert walls and floors.
-Red blocks are solid  "Fire energy" blocks. Press Z while standing next to them to destroy them.
-Blue blocks are non-solid "Ice energy" blocks. Press Z while standing next to them to make them solid.

-Green blocks are non-solid "Energy Springs." Each time you use Energy, one of your three charges is drained. Touching a spring restores all three charges and causes all changes you've made to energy blocks to start reversing.

Green blocks also function as checkpoints that you can return to by pressing W. In level 4, returning to checkpoints in this way becomes necessary in order to solve puzzles.

Controls:

-Right and Left arrows to move, Up to jump.
-Z key to use energy powers (When standing next to, and facing towards, energy blocks)
-Space Bar to shift dimensions
-W key to warp to the last checkpoint (energy spring) touched.

Click the arrow in the bottom right corner to go back to the level select menu at any time.

Shift Indicator

The circle near the bottom of the window indicates whether you can shift:

Level Overview:

Level 1 is the Shifting level, in which there's no energy blocks. It's only necessary to move and shift.
Level 2 is the energy-powers level, in which there are (red) fire energy and (blue) ice energye blocks. Using the Z Key on these blocks will turn solid fire blocks non-solid, and non-solid ice blocks solid.
Level 3 introduces "fast" variants of the fire and ice blocks. Fast fire blocks are orange, and fast ice blocks are purple. They burn and freeze at five times the normal speed.
Level 4 is the "warp" level, in which it's necessary to use the Warp ability (w key) to solve puzzles.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:02:40 PM by Trane » Logged
savantes
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »

Quick note:

When you click on the link and the game loads in a new tab/window, you have to use your mouse to click on on the page somewhere for input to start working. Don't ask me why it works that way, it just does.  Shrug
Repealer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »

Nice Idea. as you might have suggested yourself (TL:DR) you need to include a help function inside of your game or something to explain this all. Remember that 99.99% of users will not read external documention, and 30% of all users won't read internal documentation (especially on smaller scale projects such as flash games) so maybe include a tutorial level with text that activates while they are playing.

Another idea that could help gameplay are blocks that kill you in one dimension, but support you in another dimension or something along those lines.

Maybe an air propeller that pushes you in a specified direction? that could lead to some interesting puzzles.

I like the original 4 levels, they are very solid in difficulty progression and introduction of new elements.

So far, I love the idea, but this game needs further work. keep working hard Smiley
Trane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »

I'm giving the thread a bump because I've updated the demo with an in-game tutorial in Level 1. It should let you jump right in, if you're not in the mood for scanning all that text before you play.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:56:55 AM »

I'm giving the thread a bump because I've updated the demo with an in-game tutorial in Level 1. It should let you jump right in, if you're not in the mood for scanning all that text before you play.

Good idea! But I don't still understand how to play (maybe I can't reach the tutorial, I don't know).

Trane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:38:53 AM »

Good idea! But I don't still understand how to play (maybe I can't reach the tutorial, I don't know).

Ah! Well admittedly the "tutorial" is a string of text that appears in the top-left corner of the screen and updates as you move through the level. Nothing fancy.

Nonetheless, it should be visible. If you follow the link (and click inside the game window, because it's just a raw swf and that's how they do) and then press Shift, it should take you to the first level, tutorial text and all.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:03:39 AM »

and then press Shift

I exactly missed that! You'd better write that somewhere (I only read: "Use the up and down arrow keys to select a - Then press").

Now I can play the game! Smiley The gameplay has a very nice idea, that dimension switching is fun.

Reading your OP, you were asking for feedback on gameplay. To be honest, I think you've more urgent aspects to face:
  • improve graphics
  • improve performances
It's annoying when you press space and have to wait a second to continue playing.

I think you'll get a very nice game with these two improvements. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic