Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 12:44:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRaid# - Simple Dungeon Crawler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Raid# - Simple Dungeon Crawler  (Read 1949 times)
niiinjaguppy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »

So this is my project I've been working on-again-off-again on for the past year or so, and I figured now would be a good time to show it to the TIG community. I admit right now its not that great, a lot of the core RPG elements aren't quite implemented yet and it still feels a bit clunky, but I think its a good time to show it off.

Here's a video of it in action:

<I'm stupid and couldn't find where to embed a video, I'll figure it out sometime, I promise  Gentleman>

Just looking for some feedback on what you guys think Smiley
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:05:39 AM »

Globally, it seems nice! I think you should improve the enemies' AI: actually they're too predictable, and this decreases the player's fun. And, please, don't grab the mouse cursor when you take videos. Smiley However, great job so far!

niiinjaguppy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »

Yeah, sorry about the mouse cursor. Enemy AI is definitely going to improve Smiley Thanks!
mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:17:44 PM »

Looks like it could turn out to be fun - keep going!

I don't have much in the way of feedback.  When you say your sprite goes invisible, do you mean you can still move and attack but you can't see your main character's location?  Wouldn't blind be more of 'you can't see anything around you'?  (Or maybe you just turned off the sprite because that is easier to implement at this stage?)
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »

Looks solid. I like the enemies really firing magic, soo you can dodge it
Could improve on the AI indeed, although i liked how the Goblins scattered and followed you.

The other thing i could add is that you should work more on the sprites. They look really basic at this moment. It doesn't have to be complicated: i enjoy simplicity, but give it a surten feel and charactaristic in it's simplicity.

Succes!
niiinjaguppy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »

Looks like it could turn out to be fun - keep going!

I don't have much in the way of feedback.  When you say your sprite goes invisible, do you mean you can still move and attack but you can't see your main character's location?  Wouldn't blind be more of 'you can't see anything around you'?  (Or maybe you just turned off the sprite because that is easier to implement at this stage?)

Yeah, the blinding does work a bit weird compared to what you would think, but definitely makes it really challenging when you have to keep firing arrows to see where you're going. I'll take the making enemies invisible around you into consideration, that sounds like a really great idea. Thanks!

Looks solid. I like the enemies really firing magic, soo you can dodge it
Could improve on the AI indeed, although i liked how the Goblins scattered and followed you.

The other thing i could add is that you should work more on the sprites. They look really basic at this moment. It doesn't have to be complicated: i enjoy simplicity, but give it a surten feel and charactaristic in it's simplicity.

Succes!

Enemy AI will indeed be worked on, and sprites are being worked on as we speak actually, not only making them a bit more to look at but also fixing a problem someone else pointed out to me, outside of the forums. Basically, he said that "the viewed perspective of the game is inconsistant", meaning that the enemy sprites seemed like they were designed for a platformer but were used in a top down space, which was apparently distracting. So now I'm going for a more true top down look, which is going to be a big change for me since really I've been looking at these same sprites for so long  Corny Laugh

Thanks for the support, guys!
niiinjaguppy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »

I've been working on sprites a bit lately, here's a few new ones:

This is the new player sprite, and yes, I know he can fire his bow and arrow with one hand.

This one isn't by me, its from a different person (He originally said he was just going to "fiddle" with the original, and this came out):

Eventually when I'm done revamping all of the sprites, I'll make a video showcasing all of them. Until now, feast your eyes  Tongue
niiinjaguppy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »

bump...? Is that allowed here?
niiinjaguppy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »

The all new sprites are done!

Here's a video of them in action:

nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »

thats allready better! but i still think it could use more atmosphere.
If you are a more a programmer then just go on with what you have now.
Maybe you can think of asking people to help with the game that have more experience
with graphics. If you like to have all the graphics under control yourself, then i would recommend to look at the graphics more in the future of your project. Just develope the looks allong with your engine.

The engine itself looks solid on the video.
niiinjaguppy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50:23 PM »

The atmosphere is something I'm going to be working on very soon. I was thinking of adding fog of war and different lighting effects, to really add a sense of not-knowing-what's-around-the-corner. And the graphics aren't final, especially the snake, I'm not too happy with him. Another thing I'll be working on soon is making the AI a bit more diverse between the enemies, perhaps giving the goblins the ability to dodge arrows.
niiinjaguppy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 07:41:39 AM »

Sorry about the lack of updates, guys -

I am still working on the game. Lately I've been working on difficulty and level design. Except a new video in the next few days.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic