Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 01:02:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallRegressia: The 8bit RPG You've Never Played
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Regressia: The 8bit RPG You've Never Played  (Read 4795 times)
Fugsnarf
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:45:38 AM »

"What if there was an 8bit RPG made in the mid '80s that got lost, and then rediscovered today?"

Regressia is that 8bit RPG, except... it was made today. You wouldn't know it by playing, though! If you're a fan of Dragon Warrior and RPGs of that type, you'll love how Regressia feeds your hunger for those games from way back then.

Regressia takes place in a world of three kingdoms that are falling apart. Things are getting bad and monsters are going wild. You, the hero, are sent off to find out why the King has become ill. Little do you know, an epic story is about to unfold. Regressia's story is mysterious, and will always leave you hungry for more.

All of the art in the game is original, and looks great! The maker of the game, IainPeregrine, worked very hard to make everything perfect from the art to the gameplay. With retro NES-like random battles, all one-on-one, the game really brings that retro feel into every aspect. Even the music is great! IainPeregrine put together the entire RPG in two years.

Try it out!

Go to the Regressia site for more information and to download the game: http://regressia.tk/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:53:01 PM by Fugsnarf » Logged
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:18:51 AM »

Shocked

As soon as school gets out today...

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »

costs 11 dollars for a lifetime subscription.
eh? makes me think that it's an online game or something.

Anyways, this looks delicious. Just from looking around the website I can tell that a ridiculous amount of work has been put into this game. I really can't wait to try it out.

That said, your marketing lines seem a little out of place in an indie gaming forum. A large majority of indie games emulate the retro/nes style, but you make it seem like it's a revolutionary idea. From the way you said it, I legitimately thought that this was a game that was started in the 80's and you finished independently.

I'll post back later after I've played a bit.
Seth
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »

It's retro... a little too retro.

I'll check this out later but I hope it takes at least a few things from modern gaming in mind.  I won't be able to stand old school 'Talk' -- 'Which direction?'
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »

yeah but what's different about it?
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »

The 'subscription' is a one-off purchase, right? You realise 'subscription' usually implies a monthly fee? Which also usually implies an MMO? Why not just call it 'purchase'?

Secondly, you're acting as if a modern game designed to look like a NES game is a revolutionary new idea. Just have a look around this site alone, and you'll find masses of games in a similar style.

Thirdly, a free (.tk) domain name seems rather cheap for a commercial game. That's not exactly a deal breaker, but it's NOT a good first impression.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:39:41 AM »

I actually did play this game before after you posted it the first time in announcements back in January of this year: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10504.0. However, I didn't finish the demo, even though I did enjoy it for a couple of hours. Sure, it was retro and had its own story and world, but the same goes for many free RPG Maker games.

It would have been nice if the game had improved upon old console RPGs. Take Auto-Warrior (an RPG posted in the announcements last year) for example. It stream-lines the battles to remove much of the sluggishness of conventional turn based battles, which is an improvement on one of the weakness of the many RPGs I enjoyed (and trudged through) on the NES, SNES, TurboGrafx, and Genesis.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:05:31 PM »

The 'subscription' is a one-off purchase, right? You realise 'subscription' usually implies a monthly fee? Which also usually implies an MMO? Why not just call it 'purchase'?

Secondly, you're acting as if a modern game designed to look like a NES game is a revolutionary new idea. Just have a look around this site alone, and you'll find masses of games in a similar style.
Cheesy
This is identical to my post.
Fugsnarf
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »

I actually did play this game before after you posted it the first time in announcements back in January of this year: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10504.0. However, I didn't finish the demo, even though I did enjoy it for a couple of hours. Sure, it was retro and had its own story and world, but the same goes for many free RPG Maker games.

There's been a lot of updates recently, along with the website, so I figured I'd make a more "official" announcement. The game's a lot more balanced this time around, there's been a lot of improvements to make it a lot more playable (before, the monster difficulties could be pretty unfair at times. It turned me off, honestly).

That said, your marketing lines seem a little out of place in an indie gaming forum. A large majority of indie games emulate the retro/nes style, but you make it seem like it's a revolutionary idea. From the way you said it, I legitimately thought that this was a game that was started in the 80's and you finished independently.

The idea is to produce an RPG like they were back then, to give that old experience in a new day with a new game. Honestly, I have a hard time finding good indie RPGs, and most that I find definitely aren't 8bit and don't try to give you that same retro -RPG- experience. That's really what I'm getting at.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:22:22 AM by Fugsnarf » Logged
Iain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:01:58 AM »

Ahoy! I was recently made aware that some of my games had been advertised on these forums, so I figured I'd come by and check it out. There seems to be a little confusion in this thread where comments for improvement are directed at Fugsnarf. The truth is that he's just a fan, and has no more power to improve the game or its website than any of you do, though I really do appreciate how he's been going out and advertising my games (something I probably should be doing!).

The criticism here is largely valid: Words like "Original" don't really apply to something that was made to emulate an already established style. Those descriptions were written for a different audience, though. They were written for an audience used to fan creations made with Final Fantasy or Mega Man icons, and story lines revolving around Naruto and Goku. To this (mostly young) group, the idea of playing a game based on original Intellectual Property needs to be emphasized and presented as something cool and revolutionary. Were I writing for the Tigsource community, I would certainly write differently.

In fact, let's give that a try:

Ahoy! I've finished a long term project of mine called Regressia. I made it because I had played just about every NES RPG out there, and became disappointed because I'd never get to discover a new one. So Regressia is just that, a new game I made for you so that you could 'discover' a new NES RPG. To that end, I tried to make sure that everything about it could have been done on an NES. I got most things right in that regard, but some things not so right (ten points if you can find any).

You'll find that the game plays just like an NES RPG, so don't expect any amazingly modern notions of gameplay. You will have to train on random encounters in order to gain levels. The plot is similarly simple, but I hope you'll find the world itself to be very intriguing; of everything in the game, the unspoken parts of the story are what I'm most proud of.

In order to try it, you'll need to download BYOND. BYOND, like Java, is a virtual machine that interprets byte-code (like my game). Unlike Java, it did not come installed on your computer. It's a quick download, an even quicker uninstall, and completely safe, so you can give it a try and ditch it if you don't like it.

The game normally requires a purchase in order to play through to the end, but I'm offering it for free to any Tigsource members so you can play it over the holiday break (if you get a break... Oh, to be a kid again). Just register a user name on BYOND (they call their user names "Keys") and post it here. You can play the game in the meantime, as the first part of it is free, and by the time you get to the unlockable content I'll have added your name to the database.

Thanks for taking time to check out the game, and Enjoy!
Fugsnarf
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 08:54:04 PM »

I just thought I'd update the topic to inform you all that Regressia is now 100% free! Enjoy! I also replaced the broken image links and updated to remove information about how much it costs.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:37:03 PM »

I'm really enjoying this game!  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »

I'm not sure why this game hasn't gotten any feedback... It's a very well made retro RPG that I've spent the better half of the past two days playing. I highly recommend it and I don't think the BYOND thing is anything people need to worry about installing. It looks more like a game developing framework/community that I might even try out myself. Plus, they've got other great games you can play through it, like NEStalgia. But this game by itself is really worth the install.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:52:10 AM »

^
Sorry, Pokémon Black is eating all my time lately.
Alas, my other games (and homework) will have to wait.
Fugsnarf
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 10:14:46 AM »

I appreciate you guys trying it and commenting on it! I'm really trying to get BYOND's name out there. Thing is, people still shun BYOND because they don't think it's changed since version 3.0. The reality is, BYOND has gone far beyond what it used to be in its site, games, and tools. In fact, besides 3D (although a pseudo-3D like Wolfenstein 3D is possible), I can literally make anything on BYOND that I can make with something like Game Maker. Add that to the easy-to-learn language and default multiplayer capabilities, BYOND is a really great tool!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic