Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411635 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 08:39:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallPuzzle of the Dead
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Puzzle of the Dead  (Read 1141 times)
skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »

Hi!

I've just finished my iPhone game entitled "Puzzle of the Dead".

I started programming Objective-C in October last year (2010) and have been working on this game since during my free time. It is a puzzle-game inspired by the old nes-game Adventures of Lolo and I have also taken elements from the puzzles you encounter in the Zelda-games.

I've made the graphics in Photoshop, the music in Renoise-tracker and had an english friend check the text for spelling errors (I'm swedish).

The story is about a boy named Pip who is in love with a girl. Sadly she doesn't love him back. An old witch approaches him offering him a gift to woe her in exchange for some souls he needs to collect from the cemetery. Don't want to spoil anything but the story gets some twists.

The game features 60 levels now but when I am done with all the updates there will be 160 of them. I am also currently implementing Game Center with achievements and leaderboards.

I've made a level-editor in Flash that I use to create the levels. I have a system that I can drag and drop the different tiles and objects needed in order to create a puzzle.

Here are some links to gameplay-videos:

And here is a link to some screens:
http://www.skullboxlabs.com/archives/category/media/screenshots

Tell me what you think about it.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:23:48 PM »

I totally see the Adventures of Lolo vibe from the trailer. Looks really charming, but I unfortunately cannot afford an iPhone.

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:03:48 AM »

Looks like nice stuff Smiley I looked at the first video and thought it looked just like Sokoban, a game I've never really been fond of. But the second video reminded me a lot of the puzzles I enjoyed a lot in the Game Boy Zelda games - now I am intrigued!

I'll definitely pick this one up today. It looks like it could be good solid fun Smiley

The Flash level editor sounds very interesting - how easy was it to implement in the game?

I think it's quite cool that I started learning Objective-C around the same time you did, and released my first iOS game around the same time as you. Does this make us game brothers? Tongue

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:02:09 AM »

I make the levels in the Flash editor, then when I press save it generates a string of numbers that represents the tiles and objects that I have placed on the map. I then paste the string in a text file that is loaded into the game with Objective C. I wanted at first the Flash editor to save directly to the text-files but due to security reasons Flash can't write to files on the users computer =( But otherwise it works fine. I see the level the same way you see it in the game, then I have my different tiles and objects on the left side that I can choose from and place on the map.

@Alistair: Cool that you started at the same time, how is going with your games?

I've made a free version now of the game if anyone wants to try it out first, it is called "Puzzle of the Dead - Free".

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »

That's a really interesting technique, and I like your thinking behind it. Very inventive Smiley

My game, Greedy Bankers, is doing alright. I released it a couple of weeks ago, so it's too early to comment on how it's done - still got lots of marketing work to do before it picks up as I hope it will. Was very fun to do though. I loved working with Cocos2D, and finally having my game in the market is an awesome feeling Wink

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »

Looks pretty neat, and from the first video it looks like there's at least a few interesting elements to navigate around. The victory animation is very cute. Good job!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic