Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:05:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFuckbomb
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fuckbomb  (Read 1085 times)
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »

This is Fuckbomb. Basically it's Minesweeper, except that sometimes the numbers are wrong.

Note that it's not too evil - the game will never claim a square with bombs next to it has none - but it will sometimes claim there are more or less bombs, or claim there are bombs next to a square when there aren't.

Download here! (Windows only)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:07:44 PM by shockedfrog » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:06:13 PM »

The flagged bomb counter doesn't reset when you play a new level.

A bit too tired to give this a proper go, but it seems that you're losing way too much information for this to be reasonably winnable by turning all of the mine indicators into binary "possibly next to a mine" or "not next to a mine" flags. Is there actually an algorithm that allows a player to win with a decent success rate, or is this basically just luck?

Can I ask what your intentions were for making this game? Gameplay experiment? Joke game?

Edit: The player or an algorithmic agent almost certainly won't be able to make any informed guesses without knowing the probability a tile has to be wrong, and how the tiles can be wrong (e.g. 25% that it will be off by one, 10% that it will be off by two, 65% of being correct).

shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »

Oops, forgot to initialize that, fixed now (new download link in original post). Thanks for letting me know. Smiley

It was made mostly as a frustrating joke game (because the Mini Ludum Dare and Experimental Gameplay themes right now are both encouraging people to make crap games) but I've also considered that with better balancing it could make for a good gameplay experiment, and I'd like to try out similar 'deliberate glitches' on other games.

At the moment the glitch chance is ridiculously high - it starts at 10% and raises by 10% every time a tile opens and doesn't glitch, resetting to 10% upon a glitch. A glitched tile with no adjacent bombs will claim to have between 1 and 4 bombs, while a glitched tile with adjacent bombs will claim to have between 2 less or 2 more bombs (but never the right amount). Anyone who can complete it as it is is probably some combination of lucky and genius - I certainly can't, haha. Smiley If I do develop this further then I'll reduce the default glitch chance/increment (and make it customisable, along with the board size/bomb count) and perhaps adjust the severity of the glitches. Perhaps as a slight luck balancer I could make it so that bomb tiles sometimes glitch too, making them duds.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic