Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 12:37:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat is your least favorite video game genre?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What is your least favorite video game genre?  (Read 8167 times)
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 03:57:23 AM »

I hate realistic/wnb-realistic sport games and actually all sport games in general...
ColossusEntertainment
Level 1

Royal Leamington Spa, UK

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 04:12:57 AM »

First person shooters. They're all the same, aren't they?  Cool
Jolli
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 04:44:17 AM »

no, well, theres some that are different   Tongue

I dislike sports game too.
I  want a first person view sports game. i dont know how itd be done but someone make it  :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:46:31 AM by Jolli » Logged
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 05:11:59 AM »

Sure. Wolf3D is just like Quake, which is just like Half-Life, which is just like Ricochet, which is just like Team Fortress 2. Lips Sealed
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 05:14:25 AM »

Rally games. Driving is hard and no fun and when that damn license is taken in Gran Turismo it doesn't really get any easier and I end up throwing the controller in the wall and then a friend comes over and takes the rally license and generally just laughs.  Angry

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 07:44:28 AM »

As someone said, I like escapism in my games, a little bit of fantasy is appreciated and if not, I want at least to discover new things, even if they are in the domain of realism.
Recently I was watching some XBOX 360 ads and I was interested by the games they choose to advertize: a "realistic" racing game, guitar hero, Fifa football and Gears of war. All the ads displayed similar games.
I noticed how none of these games appealed to my tastes(although I could have some fun with them for a while, I wouldn't go out and buy them) and I realized that all those games were aimed more or less at the same demographic, that can be abusively designated by the terms "macho american jock". Yeah the type of people who like to yell homophobic epithets while playing Halo.
That contrasts very much with old style consoles(up to the SNES) were most games were made in japan and the themes were more based upon the supernatural and fantasy.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 10:27:35 AM »

a racing game where you could build your own vehicle by designing a chassis and sticking bits on it

Lego Racers? Smiley
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 11:15:24 AM »

Sure. Wolf3D is just like Quake, which is just like Half-Life, which is just like Ricochet, which is just like Team Fortress 2. Lips Sealed

I'd never noticed that until you just said it Shocked Shocked

olücæbelel
rz.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »

indie games.  Angry
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 11:26:14 AM »

rz. likes cruising for a bruising. Angry

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Tondog
Level 0

Weighted Companion Cube

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »

RPGs, especially Japanese turn based RPGs. They just take far too long to get into and I don't like the menu-based fighting.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 05:02:16 PM »

I can enjoy the odd exception in any genre, but I don't like FPS's because I get motion sickness. I also don't really care all that much about platformers or fighting games (yeah, I'm probably the only one in the world who doesn't really like those genres). I also don't like adventure games or IF games if they have too many puzzles, although if they have great stories I'll bear through them with a walkthrough. I also dislike sports games, hentai games, dating sims, racing games, or any game where you have to aim a physical gun.

Genisi
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 06:04:46 PM »

SHMUPs.

I suck at them time and time again, but I always come back to them, because they are so goddamn fun.
.TakaM
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 07:12:37 PM »

even though it is probably sports games, it kinda goes without saying, so I'll pick my next least favourite

western RPG's
They just feel void of any culture, interesting areas, and the story/characters are pretentious.
I'm not a huge fan (just a 'fan') of japanese RPG's, but i like the simpler stories, a diverse and fun world to explore
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 07:20:45 AM »

It's hard to say. I wouldn't pick a genre, since there's so many ways to approach a game within the bounds of the genre. The question for me is about... least favourite game design philosophy. I don't like when games throw lists of "do this, do that" on me. The game/fun/play for me is to play on my own terms, to design a game within the game. Can I penetrate the Wall of Punishers with just PeeWees? I want the ability to be creative inside the game. Sometimes it seems like the game designers thinks they are supposed to have all the fun being creative.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 07:30:04 AM »

The game/fun/play for me is to play on my own terms, to design a game within the game. Can I penetrate the Wall of Punishers with just PeeWees? I want the ability to be creative inside the game. Sometimes it seems like the game designers thinks they are supposed to have all the fun being creative.

Yeah, I really like doing this as well. Sometimes it's more fun to play around with the physics engine in a game than completing required objectives in a game.  And I often end up having more fun playing with a game's level editor than actually playing the game.

I've had some thoughts about taking this idea into actual game design.  Combining straight ahead platform gaming with bits that switch you into a sort of meta-editor, where you use resources you've picked up to play around and build a path to the next spot in the game....

I also think this give-the-player-creative-control idea is the reason games like Line Rider and Crayon Physics are so successful.

@doomlaser, mark johns
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 02:16:27 PM »

I don't really like sports (Racing games are fine) games or card games.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
pkt-zer0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »

western RPG's
They just feel void of any culture, interesting areas, and the story/characters are pretentious.
I'm not a huge fan (just a 'fan') of japanese RPG's, but i like the simpler stories, a diverse and fun world to explore
Play Planescape: Torment and Anachronox already.

On-topic: not a huge fan of sports games, myself.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 09:58:31 PM »

western RPG's
Yeah, as opposed to JRPGs righhht?  :D

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic