Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:42:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJonathan Blow and The Witness
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Blow and The Witness  (Read 22383 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »

...So far it's literally just puzzles so I'm really confused by Garrent.

You must not be paying close enough attention.

I think this is the most accomplished I've felt in the game so far.

LMAO

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »

I'm really really confused now...

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:08 PM »

It's right turning swatiska not a left turning swatiska, know the difference

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2016, 05:31:01 PM »

fyi, hindus actually use it in both directions.

anyway, after seeing this picture, i have decided that this game is not worth my time or attention.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »

can you expend on the reason (or not)? just for curiosity!

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »

I really doubt that's actually the solution to the puzzle tbh
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »

i sure hope it isn't.

btw im not "offended" by it, in case anyone thinks that.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:41 PM »

i sure hope it isn't.

btw im not "offended" by it, in case anyone thinks that.

But that one picture someone took to troll the forums turns you away from the game?

FWIW, I've been minimally playing games for a year now. Saw someone play 10 minutes of the Witness and liked it enough to start playing. It's a very fun puzzle game. I don't know about all this other stuff, something about a metaphor for the game industry or whatever.. it's a good puzzle game if you like puzzle games if you don't you might not like it.

The level design, game design & art design are all excellent and tie into each other -- the art affects the gameplay.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »

not like i was super interested in it before. the main cool thing was the visuals/world design. i don't like puzzle games and would definitely not buy it at retail price regardless.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »

im just going to live my life believing that after 80 hrs of didactic puzzle mechanic development, one building on top of the other, unrelenting, you finally place the last bock solving the final puzzle and the camera pans out to reveal the games secret hidden message, built from the combined structure of the puzzles youve solved. its reads: "4 ANGLES STOOD ON 4 CORNERS. 4 CORNERS ROTATE TO 16 CORNERS WHICH EQUAL TO 4 CORNER DAYS. EARTH HAS 4 CORNER SIMULTANEOUS 4-DAY TIME CUBE WITHIN SINGLE ROTATION. YOU ARE NOW WITNESS TO THIS GREAT TRUTH."

if jonathan blow was a REAL artist, thats how it would be.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »

I didn't read that whole post james because it looked like it was going towards spoilers, but in case it is please paint it with the glow tags

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2016, 06:38:15 PM »

not like i was super interested in it before. the main cool thing was the visuals/world design. i don't like puzzle games and would definitely not buy it at retail price regardless.
Ahh okay, that makes more sense
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2016, 06:39:35 PM »

im just going to live my life believing that after 80 hrs of didactic puzzle mechanic development, one building on top of the other, unrelenting, you finally place the last bock solving the final puzzle and the camera pans out to reveal the games secret hidden message, built from the combined structure of the puzzles youve solved. its reads: "4 ANGLES STOOD ON 4 CORNERS. 4 CORNERS ROTATE TO 16 CORNERS WHICH EQUAL TO 4 CORNER DAYS. EARTH HAS 4 CORNER SIMULTANEOUS 4-DAY TIME CUBE WITHIN SINGLE ROTATION. YOU ARE NOW WITNESS TO THIS GREAT TRUTH."

Actually it's an allusion to the atomic bomb
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »

the main cool thing was the visuals/world design.

What do you think of no man's sky, it's like all people wake up and had the same idea for similar aesthetics after the team fortress 2 one was abused to depth!

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2016, 06:42:23 PM »

I sure do hope so.

@Silber - makes sense to me. Skip the game!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2016, 06:51:30 PM »

I am few hours into the game now, the game is disappointing so far and I doubt it is going to change after 100+ "puzzles". As a puzzle game it is rather weak. There are a few decent puzzles, but the majority of them is about looking for literal line-patterns in shadows, trees, reflections etc. It is just tedious boring work on a kindergarten level that certainly doesn't respect your precious time (contrary to the game's description). As an intelligent person you don't feel like you achieved something by solving a room. It is because you already know the solution-idea but the game forces you to apply this same idea over and over again until you have all line-patterns in place to proceed.

The game looks slick but also sterile and hollow, in case some of you expect it to be like Myst, it is not there.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »

I just found my first audio log. I am officially dummy.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »

the main cool thing was the visuals/world design.

What do you think of no man's sky, it's like all people wake up and had the same idea for similar aesthetics after the team fortress 2 one was abused to depth!

i think sometimes the cultural climate or whatever leads multiple people to have similar ideas simultaneously. that's how new trends are born. in my opinion at least.

no man's sky also looks neat to me. but im kind of a pleb when it comes to visuals. so my appreciation for it doesnt go far beyond "oooooh pretty pictures and nice colors".

btw, i used to be really hyped for no man's sky as a game, but after it turned out to be faster, more combat oriented and more AAA console game esque than i thought, i'm not so hyped anymore. will still buy it probably.

The game looks slick but also sterile and hollow, in case some of you expect it to be like Myst, it is not there.

well fwiw, myst also looks a little sterile to me. but that's one of the things that makes its atmosphere special to me tbh. i don't actually enjoy playing myst tho. too fiddly for me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:23:40 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »

well fwiw, myst also looks a little sterile to me.
I know what you mean but you have to see it in comparison. Something aiming for a more realistic look conveys a lot more detail than a simplistic art style. But it is not only about the look but how the environment is integrated into the game as well.

In any case, if a game continues to throw any flavor of tedious kindergarten tasks at you even after 100+ "puzzles", then you seriously question the ability of its designer. The whole puzzle system is actually impotent because it lacks a powerful rule set, instead a new rule/restriction/expectation is made up around every corner just to keep you occupied with new stuff.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic