Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:54:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477934 times)
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 18, 2008, 09:09:36 AM »

Well, until MedO comes back and fixes up the netcode of the new version /v/idya - US West is going to roll back to b14 (To keep the balance fixes 13b doesn't have)

Get that and any other version here:
http://gg2.scose.net/
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 18, 2008, 09:44:59 AM »

(Also, in GG2 it is not the original quote sprite. And i think it's kinda stupid they don't use the original. Maybe enlarged a bit more, but whatever.)

It's actually the one bit of spritework I did myself, originally for use in JSWO, but I colorised it for GG2. Remember the compo rules, no copying of original materials. Though you probably can't call the sprite a de-make of the original, since it's higher resolution. But if nothing else, I wanted the game to be a cave-story ripoff at least Wink

Well, until MedO comes back and fixes up the netcode of the new version /v/idya - US West is going to roll back to b14 (To keep the balance fixes 13b doesn't have)

*checkout*

I'm starting right now, by checking the Windows socket API and the sources of 39dll, to figure out where I might have misunderstood the behaviour of the functions. I'm probably not testing for error conditions correctly.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:52:58 AM by MedO » Logged
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 18, 2008, 10:23:47 AM »

Get that and any other version here:
http://gg2.scose.net/

Thanks for hosting all of the different versions for us Vaati, I'm going to update the first post with that link and do my best go give a general update of the progress that is being made.
Dot.JeT
Level 0

Lol Quote

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 18, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »

It's actually the one bit of spritework I did myself, originally for use in JSWO, but I colorised it for GG2. Remember the compo rules, no copying of original materials. Though you probably can't call the sprite a de-make of the original, since it's higher resolution. But if nothing else, I wanted the game to be a cave-story ripoff at least Wink

Well, fair enough.  Wink

I would still like that quote would get his rocket launcher from cave story.

Or at least fix the soldiers arm Tongue
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 18, 2008, 11:12:49 AM »

Well, fair enough.  Wink

I would still like that quote would get his rocket launcher from cave story.

Or at least fix the soldiers arm Tongue
Will do. Finishing Quote was just not top priority as the deadline came closer, so I just gave him the rocket launcher complete with the soldier's arms attached.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 18, 2008, 11:12:58 AM »

To be honest, I guess my changes to medic were awful lol.
I just gave him a gun because so many medic-users were complaining about him having no dignity in running back to base when he looses his shooter.

Next update from me shall focus on the additions I plan to put in, and not so much on satisfying those who complain about what actually makes the game more like the real TF2  :D

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
gg2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2008, 11:15:33 AM »

I tried making a map:

http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=caveunfinished7lh3.png

can anyone help me make it better or add it into the next update if it's good enough please?

If anyone adds this to a new version, I guess the intels will be on either side of the sword at the top...
Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 18, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »

Next update from me shall focus on the additions I plan to put in, and not so much on satisfying those who complain about what actually makes the game more like the real TF2  :D

Maybe not such a good idea.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »

you should focus more on balancing

...IN HELL!!
Rawrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2008, 01:05:12 PM »

Agreed.
Maybe keep the medic's syringe gun, but reduce the damage and make it so he can't heal other people at the same time. Right now he has all the power of a heavy, with a little less range (maybe decrease that even further), and he can heal himself and his teammates. Broken class is broken.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #410 on: September 18, 2008, 01:05:57 PM »

Most notably, making it so players can't enter the spawn with the intel and make the demoman's bombs be affected by terrain when exploding.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 18, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »

I think I'm finally getting ahead with the networking issues. I'm certainly homing in on the freezing bug now, but more generally I'm writing helper scripts that do proper error checking. With any luck, that might fix other issues like disconnected players not vanishing from the server, too.

Edit: Freezing bug fixed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:35:02 PM by MedO » Logged
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 18, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »

I think I'm finally getting ahead with the networking issues. I'm certainly homing in on the freezing bug now, but more generally I'm writing helper scripts that do proper error checking. With any luck, that might fix other issues like disconnected players not vanishing from the server, too.

WOOT!!!! Stability rocks my socks.

Gang Garrison is Awesome
[SS] Olivil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 18, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »

When is it out?
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 18, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »

Awesome Smiley Will b14 balances be included?
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 18, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »

When is it out?

Now. I can't promise this will fix all networking bugs, of course, it's not tested much yet. But if you still get unexpected data, my best guess is that it's really a logical error in my protocol instead of a networking bug (though the protocol is not really complicated). If you get any errors, please let me know again (especially if you get "Sent incomplete data" as server -  if that happens I'll quickly push out a new version with a specific fix).

Please note that the server may still freeze for short periods if its send buffer fills up, this may happen especially when new players join since they get the incredibly bloated full state update. Lower your player limit if this happens too often, it causes laggy/jumpy behaviour on the clients as well.

Will b14 balances be included?

No, but feel free to change this yourself and bump up the version. If you do, don't forget to "check out" the sources by saying so here, but you may want to wait to see if the networking on this version is finally stable.

*checking in*

Binaries: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/gg2b16.zip
Sources: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/gg2b16_src.zip

Edit: Wait a minute before downloading! I've just noticed a small mistake that needs fixing...

Edit2: Fixed. Clients may want to re-download, Servers have no need to. "Random" shots were displayed completely non-random on the clients.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:39:05 PM by MedO » Logged
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 18, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »

When is it out?

Now. I can't promise this will fix all networking bugs, of course, it's not tested much yet. But if you still get unexpected data, my best guess is that it's really a logical error in my protocol instead of a networking bug (though the protocol is not really complicated). If you get any errors, please let me know again (especially if you get "Sent incomplete data" as server -  if that happens I'll quickly push out a new version with a specific fix).

Please note that the server may still freeze for short periods if its send buffer fills up, this may happen especially when new players join since they get the incredibly bloated full state update. Lower your player limit if this happens too often, it causes laggy/jumpy behaviour on the clients as well.

No, but feel free to change this yourself and bump up the version. If you do, don't forget to "check out" the sources by saying so here, but you may want to wait to see if the networking on this version is finally stable.

*checking in*

Swell, b16 mirrored.

Also put up a server (50 slots) to check out how a large server will fare. I know a little bit of gamemaker so if b16 is stable I'll go ahead and port over the balances and give sentries and dispensers a shot (I have an idea but if anything they'll only shoot forward upon enemy detection) I'll make sure to check that out with you as well (src will be included in the release if anything).
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 18, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »

Swell, b16 mirrored.

Thanks! Please update your mirrored version if you haven't already Smiley
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 18, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »

Swell, b16 mirrored.

Thanks! Please update your mirrored version if you haven't already Smiley
Alright, mirrored file updated. So far so good.  Beer!
[SS] Olivil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 18, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »

When is it out?

*checking in*

Edit: Wait a minute before downloading! I've just noticed a small mistake that needs fixing...

Edit2: Fixed. Clients may want to re-download, Servers have no need to. "Random" shots were displayed completely non-random on the clients.

Got rid of all networking problem so far! People now disapear when they disconnect!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic