Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 05:38:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2332984 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22400 on: August 05, 2015, 12:27:00 AM »

except you are a convicted murderer working for opposition conspiracy sneaking through guards into goverment facilities and stealing property and documents.
Violent option just makes you a terrorist and kinda negates fact that in beginning you are innocent.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22401 on: August 05, 2015, 04:13:49 AM »

there are other games that involve lots of "killing" (mario, zelda and final fantasy for instance) that don't necessarily feature douchey protagonists.

Mario and Link don't kill humans, which is the only thing that matters™

I've hardly played the Final Fantasy games, so I don't know about them. But sure, there are lots of counter examples. For example Skyrim, in which your dialog options can keep being those of "the hero" no matter what you do.

But I would guess the anti-hero/villain protagonist is a trope which makes it easy to let players be mass murderers, make the story easier to write and minimize the cognitive dissonance the players feels.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22402 on: August 05, 2015, 06:11:52 AM »

i have literally never felt cognitive dissonance over killing things in a gam because i can differentiate between myself and a virtual character i am controlling.

i dont personally care that much that videogame characters do things that would be morally reprehensible irl (within certain limits), i just find these characters like dante, kratos, bayonetta etc super unlikeable

also that still doesnt explain it. anti heroes are not as common in shooters for instance.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:41:50 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22403 on: August 05, 2015, 06:24:37 AM »

I'm mostly talking about the dissonance between how the character is presented by the story and what they actually do when you are in control.

But also the fact that if the character is presented as potentially good, I (and most people according some data I've seen from Fable) choose to act primarily good when given the choice.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22404 on: August 05, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »

The jerk protagonist seems to be a rising trend since the playstation 1 era, and it is probably a form of audience pandering towards teenagers who want their heroes to be rebels and shit who doesnt afraid of anything. I personally hate this archetype, specially when such attitude is glorified, but I am likely now an old fart and i want personalties bring consequences and conflict

I mean, most arcade brawler characters werent assholes and they beat the shit out of everymother fucking one.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #22405 on: August 05, 2015, 08:27:31 AM »

Do you remember that part of tom raider chronicle where Lara, hanging in a cliff, is saved by someone scared of her, then the person ask her to not touch them, they "fall off" the cliff and ask for help and she replies that they had said to not touch them and watch them fall to some death?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22406 on: August 05, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »

how do they see

Chanterelle is usually considered mid tier but that's solely because of their relative abundance

Hah, Wikipedia, the canonical source for all information proves you wrong!

The golden chanterelle is perhaps the most sought-after and flavorful chanterelle, and many chefs consider it on the same short list of gourmet fungi as truffles and morels. It therefore tends to command a high price in both restaurants and specialty stores.

Also, is it really that easy to find large volumes of chanterelles compared to king bolete? I'm not an experienced mushroom hunter but I've kept my eyes open for golden chanterelles since I was a kid. This is the first time I've ever seen such quantities of golden chanterelle, we probably found 5 times more in a day than I've ever picked.
Maybe I happen to live in some golden chanterelle hotspot but yeah they're pretty easy to find? unless it's an unusually dry late summer or something you can reliably go out in the woods a few hours and come back with enough for dinner.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:05:11 AM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22407 on: August 05, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »

basically every action game protagonist is this:

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22408 on: August 05, 2015, 02:42:45 PM »

Kratos is kind of exceptional because his games go out of their way to highlight that his violence is his own undoing. The last game in the trilogy ends with him realizing that his rage is misplaced and resulted in a significant, if late, evolution of the character. You can play it at a dudebro level and just revel in the violence, or play it at a higher level and recognize how Kratos' anger keeps creating his own problems. He's a pretty brilliant character since he can be enjoyed by two different audiences.

I can't get into the setting of Grand Theft Auto but I liked the God of War games.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22409 on: August 05, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »

I kinda liked Ashuras wrath premise on that

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22410 on: August 05, 2015, 03:02:19 PM »

well with kratos theyre obv basing him on greek mythology (albeit through an american dudebro action filter). a lot of greek heroes were assholes.

i mean i guess its cool that some games "subvert the trope" (lol tvtropes speak), but its still somewhat annoying to me that the trope exists.

plus in a colorful fantasy adventure game like scalebound the dante character archetype just seems so out of place. jarring almost. i guess at least it's less "edgy" than drakengard 3.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:07:42 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22411 on: August 05, 2015, 03:23:24 PM »

Kratos is kind of exceptional because his games go out of their way to highlight that his violence is his own undoing. The last game in the trilogy ends with him realizing that his rage is misplaced and resulted in a significant, if late, evolution of the character. You can play it at a dudebro level and just revel in the violence, or play it at a higher level and recognize how Kratos' anger keeps creating his own problems. He's a pretty brilliant character since he can be enjoyed by two different audiences.

I can't get into the setting of Grand Theft Auto but I liked the God of War games.

That's like both the low bro and high bro excuse to keep violence, "it's justified" yeah but it's not that different in the end result

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22412 on: August 05, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »

low bro and high bro
gimmy it's impossible to tell when you're brilliant from when you do something by accident

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22413 on: August 05, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »

it's not accident I mention xbro too not so long ago Who, Me? that's the sequel

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22414 on: August 05, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »

BTW I'm less for the shaming of the bro culture than pushing it back a little for other stuff to emerge

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22415 on: August 05, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »

how do they see

200 hours in MSPaint, couldn't resist.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22416 on: August 05, 2015, 03:51:25 PM »

Their helmets need a FOV slider.

JWK5
« Reply #22417 on: August 05, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »

They probably see a lot better than someone wearing one of these.

If you place one hand above your eyes and one hand below you can see that despite your peripheral vision going to shit you can still see fairly decent. The loss of peripheral vision a trade off for somewhat reducing the likelihood of having your head split open or crushed.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22418 on: August 05, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »

was that even worn in battle? looks ceremonial to me with those patterns painted on it.

edit: looks like this particular one decorated a tomb, but this design was actually used in combat in the 15th and 16th c.

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/military-history/pre-20th-century-conflict/art476583-Royal-Armouries-welcomes-court-ruling-blocking-sale-of-rare-Wootton-St-Lawrence-Armet-dating-to-1500
JWK5
« Reply #22419 on: August 05, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »

Not sure. However:

As in the previous centuries, the main protection for the man-at-arms was a mail shirt, which would usually be left undecorated. The armor of the medieval knight comprised such a mail shirt as well, but with a mail hood (coif) and mail mitten gauntlets (mufflers) attached to it, and accompanied by mail leg defenses. The helmet began to completely enclose the head and face. Although the knightly spurs, and sometimes the mail too, could be gilded, armor in general appears to have been left unadorned, while color and pattern were added to textile garments worn over the mail defenses. Since the helmet now obscured the wearer's identity, shields were painted with various symbols to allow identification. The same devices could also be painted on the helmet, or applied as separate elements (crests) of wood, molded leather, papier-maché, and textiles. This practice was the beginning of what came to be known as heraldry. Although strictly speaking they were initially functional rather than decorative, heraldic devices became one of the most common forms of armor decoration in the Middle Ages and soon adorned every piece of knightly equipment, including that of his horse.
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic