Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:48:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450992 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7100 on: June 10, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »

SO GROSS

Jaewooda
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: June 11, 2017, 03:20:41 AM »

So, any news on 'when' the update will come? I just can't wait. Smiley
kennoley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: June 11, 2017, 06:20:40 AM »

So, any news on 'when' the update will come? I just can't wait. Smiley

Previous posts from Jamesprimate on Page 355:

So, any news on the update?

nothing terribly new to report, im afraid! just doing the boring parts right now such as "making it all work together", placing the new bits, making sure the new bits dont break the old bits, etc.

sadly, were in the "wait for things to come through from the publisher" holding pattern for the moment. but on the upside that just means there will be more content when it does happen! planning on making an official post this week detailing what we have so far

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: June 11, 2017, 06:48:42 AM »

Yeah sadly we're put a little bit on hold right now  Undecided We're trying to make the most of it though by continuously adding stuff so that when the update comes out it will be really cool. I've been adding creatures (some of which not announced) and it's a pretty good number now actually! Depending on how generous your definition, there are either 5 (with the most conservative definition) or 8 (if you're more forgiving and for example count adult needle worm and baby needle worm separately ~ which would make sense to do if you consider the lizard colors "different creatures" I think!) new creatures coming up, and a ton of other stuff as well, including the multiplayer/arena mode and the different playable slugcats. So I think the update will be pretty good! Here's to hoping we're allowed to move forward and get into QA etc soon!
bbtothe
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: June 11, 2017, 05:39:27 PM »

It's a shame that the horror critters only appear on hardcore mode. Would love to still see them on white/yellow ( mid difficulty ) , but tuned down - slower movement speed for example, or less aggressive.
Meaning, I'd love to see everything in the game, but I don't consider myself anywhere near hardcore. Sure I've mapped and visited every screen in the game but I know that a red dragon lizard would put me down in a matter of seconds.

I signed up to these forums just to mimic this Smiley. I know its asking a hell of a lot, but god dammm it would be awesome to be able to see all these amazing creatures on a less stressful and relaxed play through!! I'm on ps4 though so I'm not expecting anything soon, but do you know if we will defiantly see these updates (yellow slug etc) hit the ps4 version at some stage? thanks, game is flipping cool
ventuswings
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: June 12, 2017, 12:08:08 AM »

Good compromise with horror creatures in mid-game difficulty would be to make them successor creatures, like the Red Lizard.
kizmarh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: June 12, 2017, 01:02:47 AM »

Good compromise with horror creatures in mid-game difficulty would be to make them successor creatures, like the Red Lizard.

Double this, + they could be added to the most distant and rarely visited places/appear there after a certain number of cycles (like now the plants appear in certain locations at the starting area).
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: June 12, 2017, 01:03:55 AM »

This is all James so you'll have to ask him, but it wouldn't be technically hard to throw in a couple of them in the easier modes just to Have Them Exist!

Update 541

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: June 12, 2017, 01:37:21 AM »

Does it do the same thing with pearls?  Shocked
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: June 12, 2017, 01:50:43 AM »

Mostly blue fruit is the idea, but yeah whatever item is attractive to creatures  Evil
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7110 on: June 12, 2017, 03:47:59 AM »

I'm very curious on the dropwig interaction with other creatures, like a white lizard or a bird, or even the nightmarish jump-crawler creature two pages ago.

crankykong
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: June 12, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »

Mostly blue fruit is the idea, but yeah whatever item is attractive to creatures  Evil

Nobody is going to be suprised by that.Its Silhouette,while hanging from the ceiling,is way to obviouse to not see it,even when the view is zoomed out further. But if it could camouflage more like the white lizzard does and take the color of the background,so that it is still possible to see it but not as obviouse, then it would work . Or maybe make additional plants which grow on the ceiling and look very simular to the silhouette of this creature hanging from the ceiling,when this plant is coverd in shadows and not in sunlight, so that the player has to look closely if the silhouette of the object he sees on the ceiling in shadow is one of the harmless plants or one of the killerinsects. Or maybe those plants do not look exactly like the head of the creature but have many stick like structures or long ivy like branches  hanging down from them and the creature could hide behind/between/in them and climb on those long ivy branches/use them as ladder/pole like structure to get up to the ceiling, so that you have to look closly to see the mandibles of the insects mouth  between all the from the ceiling hanging plant structures.

Does this creature have any babys which try the same on you (fall from above on you) but dont have the strength to kill you and just land on you and hold onto you for a few seconds before you can shake them of so that your movement gets slower while having them onto you and you are not as mobil anymore to evade other creatures in this time?That would be cool to see.

One last question: now that you have implemented the logic for the creatures jumping around in the level, will there be,beside of the jumping lizzards, more new (insects) creatures in the future, which jump around over large distances(half a screen or more) on the map? Or do a combination of jumping and flying or sailing through the air?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:56:50 PM by crankykong » Logged
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: June 12, 2017, 07:29:17 AM »

I'm here to throw my hat into the hardcore mode only legendary beasts crowd! And maybe even exploration mode only friendly beasts! Having the difficulties have a distinct playstyle flavor could be really cool!
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: June 12, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »

Mostly blue fruit is the idea, but yeah whatever item is attractive to creatures  Evil
Will there be more prey creatures added in this update, because it would be nice to be able to watch hunting go on more often, and more naturally. Especially with all the new predators being added, there really wasn't enough food for all the predators to begin with. So most of the regions should be populated with more prey.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:12:38 PM by Manray » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: June 13, 2017, 12:41:33 AM »

I'm very curious on the dropwig interaction with other creatures, like a white lizard or a bird, or even the nightmarish jump-crawler creature two pages ago.
Me too! Just taking it out of the incubator environment and into the real game and will start checking how the interactions play out.

@crankykong, trust me, when it's *somewhere* in a room and you aren't primed to look for it, it's not that easy to see at all! In the single player context you won't even know whether it is in a specific room or not, and have plenty of other things to worry about ~ so in the tests I've done it definitely seems surprising enough.

Actually the bait items are intended to be a little bit of a help to the player ~ from a lore perspective it's a "smart" thing for the bug to do, but from a gameplay perspective it's acting more like a help to the player. Like, "why is this item here, that seems out of place... ohhhh". The bug is heinous actually, so camouflage isn't really the main thing here - once you know where it is, you still have a real problem to deal with.

I'm here to throw my hat into the hardcore mode only legendary beasts crowd! And maybe even exploration mode only friendly beasts! Having the difficulties have a distinct playstyle flavor could be really cool!
I'm leaning this way myself and I think James is too, but having them exist in some optional corner of the world would add content to the experience essentially for no effort, which is hard to pass on! Listen to me, I've become all "content output per work hour" - I'm basically EA at this point  Shocked

@Manray as a matter of fact there's an unannounced creature that would fit into this category, and the needle worms are sort of there too! I agree that it tends to get a little predator heavy ~ which is because passive creatures by their nature have less interactions. To be EA again it's the same amount of effort but with basically nothing "happening" to the game, why they tend to not get as high a prio. In Rain World most critters are both predator and prey though, so the distinction is a little blurry! If you're talking about slugcat food sources in particular, a bunch of those have actually been added  Smiley
crankykong
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: June 13, 2017, 01:09:04 AM »

@crankykong, trust me, when it's *somewhere* in a room and you aren't primed to look for it, it's not that easy to see at all! In the single player context you won't even know whether it is in a specific room or not, and have plenty of other things to worry about ~ so in the tests I've done it definitely seems surprising enough.

Actually the bait items are intended to be a little bit of a help to the player ~ from a lore perspective it's a "smart" thing for the bug to do, but from a gameplay perspective it's acting more like a help to the player. Like, "why is this item here, that seems out of place... ohhhh". The bug is heinous actually, so camouflage isn't really the main thing here - once you know where it is, you still have a real problem to deal with.

I really like your creature designs. They do not only look great and are exeptionell well animated.Their abilitys also make sense logic whise(at least most of them Wink ) in the world they inhabitate.They are very functional designed.I could totaly see something like the giant earwig like insects or the flying needle worms hunting like that on another earth like planet.Its not that unrealistic physiology wise, compared to creatures you encounter in other games.

What about its Babys???

Does the new Earwig/Dermaptera like insects you showcase on this site have any baby like small versions of themself in game(like the needle worms), which try the same on you (fall from above on you) but dont have the strength to kill you and just land on you and hold onto you for a few seconds before you can shake them of so that your movement gets slower while having them onto you and you are not as mobil anymore to evade other creatures in this time?That would be very cool to see.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:30:44 AM by crankykong » Logged
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7116 on: June 13, 2017, 04:38:47 AM »

this is all good discussion and things ive been pondering myself. my perspective is that theres no reason not to have some of the new creatures at least be *possible* to find, either through lineage or some out of the way rooms, in the easier modes. I certainly dont want all to be accessible from yellow and were not going to change the overall experience of white too much, but i think it would be cool that the knowledge one gains of the new creatures when playing through yellow and white would give you a big advantage experience-wise when going into red. if that all makes sense!

Me too! Just taking it out of the incubator environment and into the real game and will start checking how the interactions play out.

I'm leaning this way myself and I think James is too, but having them exist in some optional corner of the world would add content to the experience essentially for no effort, which is hard to pass on! Listen to me, I've become all "content output per work hour" - I'm basically EA at this point  Shocked

@Manray as a matter of fact there's an unannounced creature that would fit into this category, and the needle worms are sort of there too! I agree that it tends to get a little predator heavy ~ which is because passive creatures by their nature have less interactions. To be EA again it's the same amount of effort but with basically nothing "happening" to the game, why they tend to not get as high a prio. In Rain World most critters are both predator and prey though, so the distinction is a little blurry! If you're talking about slugcat food sources in particular, a bunch of those have actually been added  Smiley

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7117 on: June 13, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »

Listen to me, I've become all "content output per work hour" - I'm basically EA at this point  Shocked

Respect, and all the encouragement possible Smiley .

Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: June 13, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

Honestly, I would really love to see other "slugcat niche" creatures eating the same food as you, like lantern mice and grapple worms eating bats for example. I think that would add a whole new layer to the feeling of a complete ecosystem, and it may even up the difficulty, competing with other creatures for food.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: June 14, 2017, 04:08:57 AM »

Update 542

Bubble grass!

Don't know how or if James would like to use it, but the idea is that it could help smooth out the watery sections a little particularly for yellow.

It doesn't have an infinite use time but slowly depletes - how long that should take is to be subject to a bit of tuning.

Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic