Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 12:40:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2329672 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #23560 on: October 16, 2015, 04:37:22 PM »

Sorry, that was rude, but I just don't get how one can enjoy a game about working.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23561 on: October 16, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »

most games are about working haha
Conker
« Reply #23562 on: October 16, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »

i havent played the truck driving game yet but i'd really like to try it, could be a relaxing experience
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #23563 on: October 16, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »

I guess it stems from an insecurity that if games are equivalent to working, then working is a valid alternative choice to gaming, which is pretty difficult to admit from the perspective of lazy butts like me.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23564 on: October 16, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »

The way I see is that one of the reasons simulators have appeal is because they allow someone to simulate various activities without the burden that they might contain (e.g. getting serious consequences for your mistakes (simulators not only remove this, as also make fail states funny at times), dealing with "boring parts", having to do it regardless you feel to do it or not at a certain moment, etc.), which makes the fact that isn't a 1:1 copy of reality appealing.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23565 on: October 16, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »

I guess it stems from an insecurity that if games are equivalent to working, then working is a valid alternative choice to gaming, which is pretty difficult to admit from the perspective of lazy butts like me.

Work can be very enjoyable and rewarding.  "Games" are not the epitome of fun or worthwhile experiences.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #23566 on: October 16, 2015, 06:13:55 PM »

Life = Work
Life = Enjoyable if you have a healthy outlook

Therefore,

Work = Enjoyable if you have a healthy outlook

Math.
Conker
« Reply #23567 on: October 16, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »

when im working im happier

work is good
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23568 on: October 16, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »

Playing a simulator for a limited time is nothing like actually doing that job.

Just like trying a job in real life for a day is nothing like actually doing that job.

I would actually love to try all kinds of real life jobs for a limited time, for fun. Maybe try to be a welder for a day, then try acting, then hang out with some astronomers, then steer a ship, etc. etc. All kinds of exiting experiences to be found without the investment of actually having to learn it properly, do it properly and not having to do it so many times it gets boring.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23569 on: October 17, 2015, 05:21:06 AM »

welding is actually really fun for about two weeks. you don't even mind the occasional molten metal burning through your skin marking you for life

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pfotegeist
« Reply #23570 on: October 17, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »

I remember an episode of Extra Credits where they say games are voluntary. This may not be the most important difference, but it is definitely a big part of perception. When you finally have to do something without feeling enthusiastic about it, it's different, it could be torture if you feel sick.

If you do anything with heavy machinery in real life you and everyone else are in danger. The machinery usually operates with medieval levers and ancient real time computers.  There are manuals about procedure that explain why every mistake in the pit is the operator's mistake.

As is the case in most games, the penalties are soft and unrealistic, you can shut it off whenever because the game is about your enjoyment.

Of course, the realism for applicable simulations is usually more intense. You get knocked around in a gyroscope, shocked, and play dead for periods of time because the game doesn't revolve around you, increasing your tolerance to disappointment and discomfort.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23571 on: October 17, 2015, 08:25:15 AM »

Playing a simulator for a limited time is nothing like actually doing that job.

Just like trying a job in real life for a day is nothing like actually doing that job.

I would actually love to try all kinds of real life jobs for a limited time, for fun. Maybe try to be a welder for a day, then try acting, then hang out with some astronomers, then steer a ship, etc. etc. All kinds of exiting experiences to be found without the investment of actually having to learn it properly, do it properly and not having to do it so many times it gets boring.

dacke gets it

also just because i like playing euro truck sim doesn't mean i want to be a truck driver irl. in the end it's just a fun and relaxing game.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #23572 on: October 17, 2015, 11:13:36 AM »

If I ever write a thesis about anything it'll be about simulator games, because I feel like there's value in intuitively understanding why people play them voluntarily.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #23573 on: October 17, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »

My manager has, on several occasions, talked about wanting to bring our team closer together -- to establish a team work culture.

To these ends, he likes scheduling team lunches every so often.

The experience for me on these is as such: I don't talk in the car ride out and make every effort not to look at anything, because my coworkers' driving scares the fuck out of me. At the restaurants, I still don't talk to anyone, because the only other guy that's not talking about stupid Ohio/Michigan sports rivalries is to0 busy playing with his smartphone to acknowledge anyway (I suspect he's using it to cheat on his wife, honestly. He's upset about her having a job).

My manager has, on several occasions, talked about wanting to bring our team closer together -- to establish a team work culture.

To these ends, he likes to have the remote workers travel to the project site sometimes (although this is, in part, due to an obsession with presenteeism and maintaining the theater of productivity instead of actually being productive).

A few weeks ago, one of the Michigan workers was in town. He's one of the few people on the project I actually like. His daughter killed herself while he was here.

My birthday was last weekend. I don't feel any older than I did five years ago, but I feel like the world around me has aged a lot and gone warped and senile.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #23574 on: October 17, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »

The fact that you repeat the first line halfway through your essay forces me to see it as a poem of sorts. It's tragic and beautiful.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23575 on: October 18, 2015, 05:01:24 AM »

To these ends, he likes scheduling team lunches every so often.

The experience for me on these is as such: I don't talk in the car ride out and make every effort not to look at anything, because my coworkers' driving scares the fuck out of me. At the restaurants, I still don't talk to anyone, because the only other guy that's not talking about stupid Ohio/Michigan sports rivalries is to0 busy playing with his smartphone to acknowledge anyway (I suspect he's using it to cheat on his wife, honestly. He's upset about her having a job).

To these ends, he likes to have the remote workers travel to the project site sometimes (although this is, in part, due to an obsession with presenteeism and maintaining the theater of productivity instead of actually being productive).

A few weeks ago, one of the Michigan workers was in town. He's one of the few people on the project I actually like. His daughter killed herself while he was here.

My birthday was last weekend. I don't feel any older than I did five years ago, but I feel like the world around me has aged a lot and gone warped and senile.
dude same

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #23576 on: October 18, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »

I'm 34 years, but i'm acting like an otter kid Who, Me?

Real-time Expression Transfer for Facial Reenactment

WHO need fake actor when you have real fake actors

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23577 on: October 18, 2015, 11:54:02 PM »

The failure videos look like something out of a horror video

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23578 on: October 19, 2015, 08:10:59 AM »

http://recode.net/2015/10/16/youtube-will-make-you-pay-to-see-some-of-its-new-videos/
This time around, YouTube has concentrated more on funding “endemic” video stars — people who figured out how to reach YouTube’s young audience, instead of people who became famous somewhere else.
"Let's paywall videos watched by people who don't have money"

-World's smartest person

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23579 on: October 19, 2015, 08:31:36 AM »

"Let's paywall videos watched by people who don't have money"

-World's smartest person

it works pretty well for microtransaction games aimed at kid$