Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:32:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDeepwell
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Deepwell  (Read 1083 times)
LinsonLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2023, 01:28:52 PM »

(Click this! ->) https://linsonlime.itch.io/deepwell (<- Click this!)

Deepwell is an adventure game about a small town surrounding a giant mystery hole.
Consider giving it a shot, and letting me know what you think!

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 09:41:35 PM »

Hey LinsonLime,

I pressed space to jump into the mystery hole.  My screen went into windowed mode and got smaller and smaller (Which was a cool effect).

Then the game full screened and scene repeated in a loop.  I wasn't able to progress.
LinsonLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 01:09:24 AM »

Hey LinsonLime,

I pressed space to jump into the mystery hole.  My screen went into windowed mode and got smaller and smaller (Which was a cool effect).

Then the game full screened and scene repeated in a loop.  I wasn't able to progress.

Heyo! Glad you liked the hole effect.

This post sent me into panic mode, because having a softlock right at the start of my game is probably the worst thing that could happen ever in the history of forever.

I did a whole bunch of playtesting and this is the first time I've heard of anything like this. My beeeeeest guess as to what happened is that you clicked onto the game again after the window resizing shenanigans, and since the left mouse button is set as an interact key, you kept jumping in the hole over and over again.

TLDR: I pushed an update that should fix it; if it doesn't I'm in  Blink deep shit Blink. Thank you for trying Deepwell regardless!

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 01:38:45 PM »

That fixed it!  I'll try to give it a play when I can make time
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 08:24:57 PM »

That was a ride

- I talked with an odd character who ran the general store who gives his products away for free
- I found a boat that I couldn't release
- I found a house of art where I was injected with a mystery substance and shown a fever dream of an art exhibit
- I found a knife
- I cut the boat free
- Wondered around a forest for a few minutes and couldn't find a way to progress

Your games are never boring.  The character are very interesting and I want to learn more about the world.  I just got stuck.
LinsonLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 05:08:58 PM »

That was a ride

- I talked with an odd character who ran the general store who gives his products away for free
- I found a boat that I couldn't release
- I found a house of art where I was injected with a mystery substance and shown a fever dream of an art exhibit
- I found a knife
- I cut the boat free
- Wondered around a forest for a few minutes and couldn't find a way to progress

Your games are never boring.  The character are very interesting and I want to learn more about the world.  I just got stuck.

Hey, thanks for playing Deepwell! I'm happy to hear you found it interesting. That word might seem insignificant, but it means a lot to me. The forest segment is tied to the music; if you wander until it starts playing, and then keep wandering around after it finishes the game should progress.

I've been developing games for ~2 years now, and for all 3 that I've made you've been here on Tigsource to play and tell me what you think about them. You're doing a great kindness with your playtesting on this forum. I have no clue what motivates you to keep doing this, but I want you to know it's appreciated by everyone that posts here. Thank you!
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 07:27:35 PM »

Thanks for your kind words LinsonLime.  I'm happy to help.
Jerboa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 06:52:28 AM »

Hi! Just played this with wine on linux (ubuntu) which worked fine. It was an experience.

Firstly I jumped, for me the effect did work as well (quite neat) I found I had to re click the app in my toolbar as if the game was minimised though, not sure if intentional, or maybe because I am not on windows.

Talked to the bot, and then immediately left Deepwell (sorry!).

Re-launched and got the "welcome-back" messages.

Then headed for the art exhibit which was really fun actually, I went in all the rooms but I'm afraid I will not be climbing to floor 1000, managed floor 3... such is my patience!

Haven't played more yet but I like this kind of crazy, and had a laugh. Cheers Beer!!

Jerboa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 07:05:38 AM »

Had a scroll though the dialogue files - I see you too

also:

//The comments here need to be pruned before release so dataminers can't use them to interpret the text.

lol, too late, sorry...

but seriously I think this is neat, and I appreciate the little touches everywhere

LinsonLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 09:56:10 PM »

Had a scroll though the dialogue files - I see you too

also:

//The comments here need to be pruned before release so dataminers can't use them to interpret the text.

lol, too late, sorry...

but seriously I think this is neat, and I appreciate the little touches everywhere

Hey, thanks for trying out the game! Very happy you liked it. Sorry there were compatibility issues on linux, I'm planning a steam release soon, so I'll try and iron them out before that. I did actually prune most comments around the one you mentioned! I wasn't sure whether or not I should take them *all* out before release, but ultimately I decided to leave 'em in. They paint a very detailed picture of the varying states of psychosis I was in during development. I don't want an unrealistic, idealized portrayal of myself for other artists/creatives to see. Also some of them are very funny.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic