Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411596 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 09:27:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioNeed Help Creating Griffin Howling Sound
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need Help Creating Griffin Howling Sound  (Read 3697 times)
puzzledprofile
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2023, 06:06:15 AM »

I'm currently working on my RPG game, and I'm trying to design a unique sound for the griffin's howl. I have a specific sound in mind, but I'm having trouble finding good references for it. Can anyone share their experiences on how they conceptualize abstract sounds like this?

Also, if any of you have tried recording similar sounds before, I'd love to hear about your success or any tips you might have.
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 12:26:30 PM »

When looking for a sound that you can imagine, but have a hard time finding a good source for, sometimes it helps to think of concrete objects that might make a similar sound like the one you're looking for. Like the old frying-bacon-to-make-rain-trick Grin

Another idea – specifically for creature sound design – is to approach it from a pseudo-zoological or even anatomical angle. What kind of sounds would your specific griffin utter in the wild? Does its head look like a giant chicken, or more lizard-like? Questions like that will provide you with clues. When you almost get the feeling that you found the sound, it was there all along and you just grabbed it, that's when you know you got something good. Then with time you'll find more ways to do foley stuff if you want to record, or get a good ear for library sounds and how to edit everything together to create something that's yours.

I can't remember what exact combination of sounds we used for the griffins in our audio adaption of Cornelia Funke's Dragon Rider: A Griffin's Feather (you can find it on Audible, read by Marc Thompson), but I think we used some of the excellent Boom Library creature sounds, tuned them around a bit and mixed them with other animal sounds (not just birds). There's a couple different griffins in the book and we tried giving each a slightly different sound. For the wings I recall recording different cloth flaps to get the feathers right...

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic