Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 06:45:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe Idea Pool
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: The Idea Pool  (Read 44705 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2008, 05:31:33 AM »

Army of Two is a good example I think.

Anyway, I've had this weird idea involving snails and turbo engines:

You're a racing snail. You're in some random kitchen/livingroom/whatever and you want to race with your other snail pals. And since you're sticky, you can race on the ceiling and other places that wouldn't be possible with normal cars.

I don't know. Feels like F-Zero a bit Tongue

Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2008, 01:16:05 AM »

OK this idea hit me as I was watching 'Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS', which I found out about from watching those wacky trailers that played before GRINDHOUSE.
 Its set in WW2 and plays like a classic brawler (like AVP, Punisher, D&D:ToD, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage etc.) with an emphasis on mutilating your foes in order to increase your Aura of Fear, which is represented visually by a ring that surrounds your character. The player has the ability to break joints, gouge out eye balls, impale, and even rip off the limbs of his foes and beat them with it, soldiers will be affected by this psychologically. Some soldiers will run in fear, others will stand and fight, some will freeze up or go into a fetal position, it all depends on their mental state. Your Aura of Fear will diminish when you get hit/injured, and gradually fades as time passes, so you are encouraged to constantly wreak havoc.
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2008, 05:04:19 AM »

re co-op games:

What was that student project with the two characters who were each on their own plane of existence? Each player saw their own level, and only a dim reflection of the other player, and they had to cooperate to solve it.

Also, Cookies and Cream?  I haven't played it but the premise sounds fun.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2008, 07:09:08 AM »

Joseph, thanks for bringing up WW2. It reminded me of a game I once imagined but had forgotten about:

A WW2 game in which you play a soldier that defects and must stealth his way from country to country throughout the rest of the war until you can find a peaceful life in postwar Europe. It should have a short, sub-par WW2 FPS tagged on that contains many points at which it is easy to break away from the action and sneak off.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »

[17:57]   <ThreebitThor>   are...are there any online multiplayer platforming cooperative, non-player-[vs]-player competitition games?
[17:58]   <ThreebitThor>   if not one deserves to be made
[18:03]   <ThreebitThor>   like, a beat-em-up but with a kirby-esque world.

So, yeah.

Zaphos
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2008, 09:36:36 PM »

[17:57]   <ThreebitThor>   are...are there any online multiplayer platforming cooperative, non-player-[vs]-player competitition games?
[17:58]   <ThreebitThor>   if not one deserves to be made
[18:03]   <ThreebitThor>   like, a beat-em-up but with a kirby-esque world.

So, yeah.
It'd be cool to see something like this with a multiplayer Lost Vikings-ish feel to it, where the co-op is not just "it's easier to kill stuff" but also lets players do interesting things by working together ...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »

Yeah, that'd be real nice...
I want to make that now...

Anywho,

A game where you aren't fighting, but you're the blood in a fighter character and as the fight goes on and your host gets beat up, you have to try and be spilled as little as possible so he can keep fighting. The longer the fight goes on the more wounds open up for you, the blood, to be lost, so you have to be careful where you get pumped and how fast you're flowing. If your fighter loses too much blood he'll pass out and you get game over.

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »

If anyone wants to take a shot at making my co-op game idea, that'd be awesome. I still think it could use some refinement though.

-----------------------------------------------

Another idea:

A survival game, kind of like Notrium, combined with a roguelike. Your character would have to sleep and eat, have a stamina bar, and react to temperatures. Also, day and night would pass realisticlly, and maybe even have seasons and weather patterns. A lot of this is inspired by DF's adventure mode.

Also, the game would display no number stats, instead you'd get descriptions like "fairly strong" or "quite slow". (again, inpspired by DF) This would add to the sense of immersion. Instead of seeing this when you buy a copper sword:

Copper sword
Cost: 5 GP
Damage: 4-6
Accuracy: 5

You'd see this:

This is a copper sword. It looks well crafted and strong. It seems light and easy to handle. "Ah," says the shopkeeper. "That'll be 5 gold pieces."

----------------------------------------------

See how much more interesting that would be?

Also, to break up the monotony of traveling long distances, there could be an "overland travel" mode. You'd still be forced to enter the regular mode when you have to sleep, confront enemies (or sneak by them), or pass diffcult obstacles like mountains. Like I said before, temperature would play a part too, you may have to light fires for warmth or find shade to keep cool.

Combat probably wouldn't be as in-depth as DF's, it would probably be more like Nethack. However, there would be a few twists-

1) The aforementioned stamina bar. This would decrease when you attack, sprint, or get hit. Carry a lot of heavy stuff would drain your stamina faster.

2) Blood loss. Small injuries will usually heal themselves over time, but large injuries would require your character to take medical action (like making a makeshift bandage) or risk losing even more health. Serious internal injuries would require a doctor to heal completely. Your character may also get scars, Fable-style, from serious wounds.

3) Stealth. The amount of light, any cover around you and the speed you're moving (normal, sprinting, or sneaking) would all effect an enemy's chance of spotting you.

------------------------------------

It's a long shot, but I would love to see a game like this.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:52:59 AM by Stij » Logged
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2008, 07:52:40 AM »

Sorry to double-post, but I just had to get this idea out of my system. :D

Inspired by fish's comment on the Offroad Velocirator post:

volcanos. sapient volcanos.

In this game, you would control a volanco on a tiny Hawaiian island, with the objective of causing as much carnage as possible, Death-Worm-style.

Extremely sketchy pictures speak a thousand words:

I'm not sure about enemies. Maybe there wouldn't be any, and you'd just have a timelimit or something. Or maybe the military would try to bomb your volcano.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2008, 02:41:47 PM »

Or perhaps you could play the volcano god, and you would need to do things to win more worshipers while competing with other nature deities.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2008, 04:43:49 PM »

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »

Too Many Coconuts!

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »

Too Many Coconuts!

I'm envisioning a game where you try to get survive on a deserted island. You can swing your sword, but it's only useful in relieving frustration or passing time - there's nothing on the island you can kill or cut with it.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »

You can cut the palm tree!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2008, 08:12:49 AM »

Nah, your sword is too blunt and rusty.
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »

Heh, I like the idea of being able to swing your sword but have no use for it. It would probably drive completionists like me crazy. Tongue "WHAT'S THE STUPID SWORD FOR? IT'S GOTTA HAVE A PURPOSE!"
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2008, 07:30:18 PM »

zomg dude that's awesome  :D
's givin' me a headache

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »

Yeah, its making me barfy.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2008, 09:54:30 PM »

Do I presume the two shapes on the left are both a next shape queue?

And one-block sized shapes? Travesty

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic