Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411591 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 05:46:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGame Download Hosting
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Download Hosting  (Read 2754 times)
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »

Hey y'all!

I'm really close to releasing my game (in Beta) and I'm wondering what options I have to host the executable downloads.

Full disclosure:
-approx. 5mb download size.
-for Mac, Linux, Windows
-the game is closed source, and it's intended to help drive sales of the iOS version. It is free, will remain free but it's ultimately part of a commercial project.

So: Where to host? If I end up paying for hosting, does anyone have some recommendations, I have no experience with web hosts and I fear getting caught in a scam or really poor service.

If I've posted a FAQ, please direct me to relevant resources (I'm sorry my search-fu is pretty bad).

Thanks for your attention, and have a lovely day!

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »

i recommend dropbox.
their free account offers 2 gb storage and 10 gb bandwidth per day.
so the daily max download count for your 5 mb game would be 2000.
oh and it's direct a download. so obviously no ads and stuff.
note: you don't have to download the dropbox software. just click login in the upper right corner and register a free account. done.

another alternative is box.net.
traffic is 10 gb per month and no ads, digit codes or forced wait time etc.

i've also written a little article about file hosters on pixelprospector.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:37:17 PM »

Great info! I'm ready to go now. Thanks!

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 04:11:10 AM »

i recommend dropbox.
their free account offers 2 gb storage and 10 gb bandwidth per day.

Shocked Wow! I didn't realize Dropbox offers that much bandwidth for free!

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:03:52 AM »

i would personally never dream of hosting something like that on free hosting, they can (and will) cut you off whenever they deem fit and there's almost nothing you can do about it. Should your game become very popular, say on reddit or something, that's exactly when you don't want to hit a bandwidth limit.

You can host something like this on say Amazon S3 for nearly no money and a rather small effort, and if it does blow up, you're ready for it. Spend a couple of dollars to be safe, it's worth it.
Nix
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »

I agree completely with avoiding free hosts for this sort of thing, unless you don't expect more than your friends and a few TIGers to download it. An alternative to S3 is Rackspace's cloud files service.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »

10gb for day sounds like it'd run out very quickly for even a remotely popular game. most of my games have had thousands of downloads on the first day of release, i'm sure others have much higher numbers. but if you don't expect more than 2000 downloads then dropbox could work -- i imagine you could even have multiple dropbox accounts as mirrors?

anyway, what i'd really recommend is buying your own hosting. it's only a few dollars a month and much superior to the free stuff

cullinaire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »

Pay-for-how-much-you-succeed
eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 05:55:59 PM »

IndieDB sounds like it might work, it's the only service where it's in it's own interests to keep the file available (traffic, ad revenues, reputation).

Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 05:28:12 AM »

I have good experiences with both IndieDB and Amazon. I'd recommend the former until you outgrow it due to popularity, and then the latter. Dropbox is good too if you just want to show a few friends.
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 12:58:25 PM »

Dropbox is my recommendation if you want free stuff. It doesn't have the adds that mediafire/box,net have whick makes it look less shady. I recently say a comment about how someone chose not to download a game because it was hosted on mediafire.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »

yeah unless i really really want a game, i'd never dl it from mediafire, it's just terrible to use: full of ads, you have to wait like 100 seconds for a countdown before you can begin downloading, and then when it does download it's at a snail's pace

the only reason i should need go to mediafire is to go to their 'report abuse' section to tell them to take down immortal defense full versions that pirates host there

tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »

Anything wrong with hosting it on your own?

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
cullinaire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »

yeah unless i really really want a game, i'd never dl it from mediafire, it's just terrible to use: full of ads, you have to wait like 100 seconds for a countdown before you can begin downloading, and then when it does download it's at a snail's pace

the only reason i should need go to mediafire is to go to their 'report abuse' section to tell them to take down immortal defense full versions that pirates host there

Eh? I've never had to wait to download from MF (true as of a couple days ago) - as far as free download hosts go they are one of the better ones. True that the site looks a bit eh, but free is free and you can do a lot worse.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »

This thread got me thinking. I'm looking into creating an indie game distribution service (cdn) thing since I've been researching it for non game related project.

I think I might be able to match NFS for storage costs and undercut their bandwidth costs to less than $0.35/gb.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 07:21:18 AM »

Now you're confusing Mediafire with Rapidshare, there's no countdown nor ads nor 5 kb/s download caps for free users.
cullinaire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »

They sometimes have one pop-up ad but if you're adblock'd you'd never know. But still, whining about some ads for free hosting is... Panda?
copernicus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »

Besides using free file hosting sites you might be able to ask someone around here if they could host the file on their website.  I'm hosting a game primarily developed by another company, for example.

Check out my personal website:
Nicus Props
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic