Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:40:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSoul Calibur is dead to me. ;-;
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Soul Calibur is dead to me. ;-;  (Read 9266 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 05:58:01 AM »

I can't speak for the others but the reason like I didn't like SC3 as much is mostly because of the tweaked gameplay which is alot more precise. It's easier to link moves together and the defense gameplay has been tweaked to become very complete and precise. This has made some characters more interesting but overall, I felt like it became a game of precision rather than a fighting game. Like, in the previous iterations, you could learn the game and master it while you could also just play for fun and not know what you were doing. In SC3, I felt like you had to learn some basic combos and how to guard before you could really enjoy it. I think it was an attempt to get rid of SC/SC2 worst feature: a noob button masher could beat an experienced player out of luck. In SC3 is alot harder but it can still happen.

Well, that's my opinion.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 06:01:09 AM »

Man, Soul Blade is where its at.  Roll Eyes

But yeah, Soul Calibur 1&2 did feel a bit random at times. I haven't tried III yet, but now I'd like to!

Mischief Maker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 06:39:43 AM »

I think this will be the best fighting game since "Masters of Teras Kasi" for PS1!
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 07:30:27 AM »

Well, TeeGee, aren't you so great. Roll Eyes Tongue
I think you, guys, are experiencing a typical I-was-in-love-with-this-game-back-then syndrome. Symptoms: insecure feeling that changes (any changes) are bad and will hurt your game. I can relate to that feeling. I had it with many series I loved and just couldn't make myself play the later entries until they got old themselves and I've got more relaxed attitude.
No, that's not true. I actually enjoyed the inclusion of Link et al; behind Ivy, he's my favourite character to play. I may have been a little wary at first, but I was willing to try it, and loved it. Guard blocking, the usual 'big change' cited by fanbois which 'ruined' the game, I thought was genius. I was just trying to be a little dramatic, is all. I am sure, this being Soul Calibur after all, that Vader and Yoda will make decent playable characters, but, well, it's not enough to make me want the game.
And I don't think I'll be touching IV. Maybe I'll download the demo if one becomes available, but I doubt I'll enjoy it. Not just for the Star Wars thing - it just..doesn't have anything out there which makes me think 'I want this fighter more than I want that other fighter'. :/
(bold added for emphasis)
There appears to be nothing added to SCIV that makes me want to buy it. A slightly bigger roster and maybe some (probably quite minor) gameplay tweaks. Hence my saying that it has turned into more of an iterative series. (It has always been a boobie fighter - most 3D fighting games are.) I won't be going out to buy PES 2009 when I already have PES 2008 after all...

I just...don't think anyone can take it seriously. I genuinely cannot understand why anybody thought it would be a good idea - one the one hand you'll have SC fans, like myself, questioning their inclusion - but I'll bet that there are many Star Wars fans who will "haet the gaem" because it does their heroes injustice.

And personally, I rather intensely dislike Star Wars - hence another reason for my displeasure.

olücæbelel
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 09:31:08 AM »

Soul Calibur is probably the only fighter I really like outside of smash bros. I'm not a big fan of star wars, but I'm still looking forward to this game, I just won't play as the star wars characters. It totally ruins the theme. Pretty dumb, putting them in anyway, but whatever. Only Soul Caliburs I've played though were the first and second, both of which I enjoyed immensely.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »

Quote from: shinygerbil
Well, TeeGee, aren't you so great.

Sure I am! Glad you noticed.  Cool

There appears to be nothing added to SCIV that makes me want to buy it. A slightly bigger roster and maybe some (probably quite minor) gameplay tweaks. Hence my saying that it has turned into more of an iterative series. (It has always been a boobie fighter - most 3D fighting games are.) I won't be going out to buy PES 2009 when I already have PES 2008 after all...

Okay - that's perfectly reasonable. But you made a thread stating that SC is "dead" for you and just posted a link to the video as an explanation. And rants on how some cosmetic change/addition *killed* the whole series make me a bit allergic. Like this one:

Never touched III, as I didn't have a PS2 at the time, but it looked pretty awful. Create-a-character with stock movelists? :S

I mean, how can little additional and completely optional feature (that is also fun to play with) make the whole game look awful?

Of course, don't take this discussion (or any other game-related discussion for that matter) too serious Wink.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »

I was using what is known as hyperbole. Nevermind.

I was also under the impression (as given to me by all the advertising about it) that create-a-character was the main part of SCIII. It was hardly a rant, and I didn't say that it killed the whole series.

Don't worry, I get your point; I was overreacting. But so are you Tongue

And I never take things without a hefty pinch of salt, don't worry Wink

olücæbelel
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 09:05:49 AM »

Of course I'm overreacting!!! It's a game I'm arguing about and game-related arguements are DEAD serious stuff Wink.

I dunno 'bout the advertising for SC3. I bought the game way after its release. I can imagine that they advertised character creation as a main feature/improvement and, in that context, it's a real nonsense.
The whole thing is kinda fun, but the created characters' movesets are bland iterrations of the classic ones. That is unless you create a character who uses one of the original fighter's movesets, but looks as you designed him/her. Other than that it's used to create chars for a sort of RPG/Strategy/Campaign mode, which is rather boring anyway. Or to entertain yourself with random outputs when playing drunk. Nice little addition, but definitely not a "main" feature nor anything really useful.

Still, SC3 was fun as hell, SC4 looks basically the same but with better graphics and lightsabers. To be honest, I don't really like the idea of adding SW characters as well, but oh well. And yeah, changes seem to be minor enough for me to understand that someone doesn't feel enticed to buy the game.

Tom Grochowiak
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »

Soul Calibur was dead to me the day that Namco decided to make an absolute shit Wii game that had the depth of a coloring book (actually I would say a coloring book has more depth...I mean at least you can color pictures and some even have like crosswords and puzzles).

The thing that upset me the most about Soul Calibur: Legends is that it just seemed like Namco wasn't even trying to make anything that could be half-way decent. I was playing the Gamecube version of Sould Calibur II (my fav of the series) on my Wii and realized that it had better sound, graphics and gameplay then Soul Calibur: Legends. So if they could make a game like that on the Gamecube why couldn't they make it on the Wii?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 04:00:15 AM »

I turned to Japanesse and they were as infuriating  Lips Sealed. I mean, it's nice to trick your opponent with Xianghua's fake retreat move and hear her shouting "Tricked ya!" while your opponent curses. But which idiot designed it so she HAS to shout it EVERY freaking time she performs this move!?  Angry

Quote from: Guert
In SC3, I felt like you had to learn some basic combos and how to guard before you could really enjoy it.

Frankly, I felt exactly the opposite. After playing Tekken, in which you have to rely on combos to be any effective, SC was a refreshment. We had a blast playing random characters with a mate, because even being new to the game, the basic movesets and character differences made for enough strategic choices to make the game interesting.

Quote from: Biggerfish
I also find it hard to combo and chain things together.

I think it depends on character. It's hard *not* to do a combo with Maxi or Taki, while some fighters don't have to chain stuff at all - they focus on poking or turtling. I always thought this is really great. Characters really differ between themselves - not only in their special moves and buttons needed to make them, but also with basic possibilities and gameplay strategies.

Man... I want to play some Soul Calibur now Sad

Tom Grochowiak
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2008, 04:56:48 AM »

(And is it just me, or do the English voice-overs get REALLY annoying during fighting?)

STRIKE!

I wish, that they used the actual language from the countries that they supposedly represent.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 05:05:35 AM »

hehe, they'd only ever need one phrase in each language:

"what the hell are you talking about??"

olücæbelel
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2008, 05:23:37 AM »

Quote from: TeamQuiggan
I wish, that they used the actual language from the countries that they supposedly represent.

Yeah! Like in Tekken where during a dialogue one person speaks in English and the other one in Chinese (or Bear-speak, or Kangoroo-speak  Shocked) and they totally undesrtand each other. Loved that part :D.

Tom Grochowiak
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2008, 06:30:21 AM »

Frankly, I felt exactly the opposite. After playing Tekken, in which you have to rely on combos to be any effective, SC was a refreshment. We had a blast playing random characters with a mate, because even being new to the game, the basic movesets and character differences made for enough strategic choices to make the game interesting.

I was refering only to the SC serie. Cuz yeah, if you compare Tekken and SC, SC is a lot more relaxed and fun in my opinion. I've never been a fan of Tekken cuz of this...

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »

Oh. Stupid not-able-to-read me Wink.

Tom Grochowiak
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »

It's well-known that Lucas' main goal with Star Wars has ALWAYS been to make indecent ammounts of money, and he's pretty good at that. I think he stopped caring about where the hell the series went after the first time he wrote it. Now he probably just counts the bills in his giant swimming pool of money while laughing hysterically at the fanbois. It's probably what I'd do if I had nearly as much money as he does.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Chrissketch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »

Here's a controversy I utterly fail to understand. Here's how I see it.

Soul Calibur: FUN
Star Wars: AWESOME

SC + SW = FAWESOME

At the very worst, one would have to witness a tiny green frog man fight a ten foot tall bald demon with a giant battle ax, which is still really awesome in concept.

Again, not seeing the travesty here. Considering that this community regularly recognizes the genius of Shaq Fu, the chicken little routine seems unwarranted.
Chizzer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »

Honestly, as long as I can still play my Abomination Matches (randomly generated characters), I'll be happy.

==================================
-Boop! Danuh-nah daanuh-nah naaahh-
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic