Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:16:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Kickstarter] Freezeme - 3d Action Platformer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Freezeme - 3d Action Platformer  (Read 9263 times)
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »

Really reminds me of Outset Island in Wind Waker when you crawl under people's houses scrounging for life savings.

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »

Smiley the game mechanics are more in line with the Mario series, but I guess if it reminds you to Wind Waker I will take it as a compliment! Smiley

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 01:41:26 PM »

This looks really great. You definitely don't see enough 3D third-person platformers in the indie scene, so this is really refreshing. They were my favorite types of game to play back on the N64.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 02:05:21 AM »

Smiley the game mechanics are more in line with the Mario series, but I guess if it reminds you to Wind Waker I will take it as a compliment! Smiley

It was Tongue I adored Wind Waker!

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 08:17:15 AM »

Since the last updated, I have mainly focused on a terrain mesh and updates on the camera features.

For the terrain mesh, I've been using the unity default terrain feature.
You can get decent results quick and it is integrated in the editor, so you can modify it and see the results in real time.
But it also has limitations, for me the most annoying ones for me were:

The chequered layout: the terrain is a heightmap defined by the resolution, disposition of these points that define the terrain cannot be moved, so you are limited to this chequered mesh. This became really noticeable for me when I tried to make some roads on the terrain.

Textures on perpendicular surfaces: with the default unity terrain tools you cannot modify the uv coordinates of the texture, this becomes really annoying the more perpendicular the surface is as it will be displayed more and more stretched.

Holes: well, you cannot make any holes on the map, that’s it Sad

So, after trying for a while to find fixes for all those limitations, just gave up, exported the terrain into an .obj file, and worked on a brand new terrain on blender. You can do all you can think of, but it is way more time consuming, and you cannot see the results in game in real time, so I had to go back and forth multiple times.

After a few days, I managed to put something decent together, and I’m quite happy with it Smiley

Then, as mentioned above, I spent some time working on some new camera features.

The player was able to rotate the camera around and some basic collision detection was implemented: a raycast thrown from the player to the camera, if a collision is detected the camera moves a bit ahead of the collision point.

This would suffice for most of the situations, but there are some exceptions on which the player would benefit for something a bit more sophisticated.

Exception 1 – Small, thin or full of holes objects
Sometimes, if the main characters passes by one of those really close and this object happens to be between the cam and the character, then, the camera will quickly/abruptly move closer to the character. This can be a bit disorienting for the player, and, honestly there is no real need to move the camera closer, the geometry of these objects won’t prevent the player from “guessing” what is behind.

For this exception, first, I changed the player shader to display the silhouette. when an object is occluding it, on top of it. Then, I tagged these specific objects so they are not retrieved in the raycast collision.

As a result, in the supposed scenario above, the camera won’t move, but the player could still follow the trajectory.

Exception 2 – fixed camera
Sometimes there some specific angles that are really beneficial for the player, you can always let the player find that specific angle themselves, but in most cases they would appreciate a little bit of help  Smiley.

So I have set up some volume bounding boxes connected to a fixed point in space, when the player enters that volume, the camera moves as close as possible to that fixed point, and stays there until the player leaves the volume.

Exception 3 – Camera on rails
Similar to the previous one, the difference here is that I can make the fixed point “mimic” the movements on whatever axis I decide, one, two of all of them at the same time.

This somehow imitates camera on rails feature, widely seen on movies.

Exception 4 – Cinematic
Haven’t done much here, just integrated the cutscene plugging uSequencer.

AI – Back to back
Last, some basic AI, after a couple of seconds, if there is no input received the camera will automatically move to the back of the player.

Finally, you can watch a video with all those features implemented:
Hope you find it interesting!

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »

Here some gifs that I've been posting around showing some developents Smiley

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »

I have worked on so many things since the last update that I don’t even remember most of them Smiley.

The most important are the controls. It is extremely difficult to find that sweet spot on which you feel on total control of the character,  I had tried so many different approaches/variables/values and none of them was completely of my liking, especially the jump/double jump, often I had this feeling it was too fast/or too high or… whatever.

Finally decided to scratch all I had and start all over again, and now I can say I feel incredibly happy with the results, still a few bugs to fix but nothing major.
I have also reworked the HUD, dialogues, sounds fx and added this funny gibberish talking (like the one on Banjo Kazooie) and also added transition images at the beginning/end of the level.
From an aesthetic point of view, I have modified the shadows and the illumination substantially. Take ages to bake the scene, but you can feel the difference Smiley.

Also, got 2 new animations for the main character (running and kicking). I wasn’t especially happy with the running one, it was ok, but nothing characteristic, Bela Szabo helped me out with those.

Ah, well, joystick support and new logo too Tongue.
You can see all that progress on the following video, hope you like it!

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »

This game shows a lot of promise. But I will make a few comments about the art side of it.

I feel the color scheme right now is not very good. Now this is just my opinion so you can take it or leave it. But I would suggest toning down some of the saturation and getting more complimentary colors into the scene.

Another thing is since the style is cartoony, I would suggest that the buildings and items also take on a more cartoony style. Right now the characters and trees are one style, while the building are another.

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 02:10:27 AM »

Thank you so much for the feedback zede05!

I agree, somehow Smiley, the structure of the buildings I would like to keep them as they are, however the current textures might give them a more "real" felling (even though they are hand painted)and I was planning to modify them at some stage. Not sure if that's what you meant?

As for the saturation, do you refer to the latest video or previous screenshots? I'm asking you that because I completely changed the lighting on the last version.

Thank you so much and Btw, your game looks TERRIFIC!!

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »

Video showing a few of the things that I've been working on last week. Soooo many and too lazy to list them Smiley.

Hope you like the video!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »

Looks cool, I think the player's run speed might need to be increased a bit though. 
misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »

Thanks Udderdude! Do you mean the speed at which the animation is currently playing? Or, the velocity of the character along the surface? (buf, what a question Tongue)

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »

The velocity of the player.
misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 01:06:33 PM »

Guess what? Yeap, exactly! FreezeME is on Steam Greenlight.
I would really appreciate if you could pass by and give me an upvote. Embarrassed  Beg  Beg

This is the link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231340170

Thank you very much in advance!

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »

I'm on fire haha, just released a video with some updates:

This week I’ve been working on improving the dialogue system, populating the first level, adding some new NPCs and last but not least, I have modified the post processing filters, now the game looks more colorful and vibrant!

Also, I’m going to release an alpha demo for free on March 17th Smiley

Finally, did I tell you that we are on greenlight and we would really appreciate you upvote Tongue? Here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231340170

Thank you very much in advance!

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 09:39:31 AM »

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to let you know, I have uploaded a free alpha demo, in case you feel like playing some 3D action platforming Smiley.

More information and download link here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/231340170/1395077794

Feedback is more than Welcome!

Hope you'll enjoy it!

Thank you!

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 04:37:03 AM »

Is the controller support complete in v0.3.0 of the demo? I was using an XBox 360 controller with default bindings and the right joystick moved the camera up/down when I moved the stick left/right and moved the camera left/right when I moved the stick up/down. I also couldn't find a button bound to taking a picture, so I had to just quit the game. Should that have been bound to some button or combination that I was just failing to press? The game seems interesting, so I'd love to give it a go if I can figure these things out =)

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 06:00:26 AM »

Thanks so much for trying it out Xienen!

I've probably messed something up with the default config, however when you boot the game you should see a screen similar to this one

You can configure the controls in the input tab, "CameraX" and Y are the ones to configure the camera movement. "Shutter" opens and close the camera freezing mode, while in that mode, you take pictures with the Action button (B in the joystick by default), please note that you can only take pictures("freeze") of moving objects (platforms and relevant NPCs). You know if you can freeze something if when you aim at it changes its colour.

Hope this helps! If not do not hesitate to ask!

And thanks once again for giving it a try!!!

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 04:13:18 AM »

Alright, I finally got around to playing it again. Got the controls functional, but I really felt like I was fighting the camera and collision a lot. When a player isn't moving, I don't think the camera should still be trying to follow the character, because they might be trying to stop and look at something...or waiting for some event to happen(like waiting for a pipe to spew gas so the blue box will go up and get the red platform moving).

Also, I don't think that gas spewer should be random, personally, I feel like it should follow a pattern, otherwise you could end up sitting there for a while just waiting for the thing to land on the pipe you're waiting for.

On the collision battle, I got stuck running up hills on the path and had to jump to get up them. I also warped through walls, particularly the blue boxes, which seem to want me to roll off the side of them rather than push them around.

Overall, a solid alpha build, just the typical game dev hiccups.  Toast Right

misscelan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 04:38:44 AM »

Thanks so much for taking some time to play the game and provide feedback Xienen! really Appreciate it!

Regarding your camera problems I will definitely do something, some people like to control the camera as less as possible and use the pseudo-1st person view when they need to look around or stare at something, but some other people like to have more control over it, so I guess I will implement different camera modes: automatic, semi and auto so they player can switch them to their liking whenever they feel like.
Also, some objects are still not correctly tagged in the engine and the camera collision reacts incorrectly when the player is occluded, I will also look into that.

As for the gas puzzle, the idea is that the device in the middle rotates, there is side that has a pipe in form of a T, when the device stops the green pipe that is at that moment in front of that T will start emitting gas.
The trick is that you will not have time to move the blue box under the green pipe on time, to do so when the device at the center starts to slow down, take a picture of it, so it freezes and you'll have time to move the blue box on top of the pipe, no need to wait Smiley
In any case, I will add something to the T side, so the player can clearly associate the gas emission with that side of the mechanism.

Finally about getting stuck and warp through wall, I'm currently looking at it, all the movement associated procedures are a bit complex and defendant of each other, it will take me probably another 2 iterations to get it spot on  Facepalm

Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to play!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic