Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 02:22:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpace Station Delta [Working Title] 3D Space Survival Sim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Station Delta [Working Title] 3D Space Survival Sim  (Read 9818 times)
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »

This is a survival/simulation game based on space station 13.
Premise of the game will be as follows:
You play as a crew member of a space station, performing whatever duties your job entails - be it engineering, security, botany, or research. One or two players are selected to be traitors, and get a random nefarious mission (kill the captain, escape alive!). When the traitor succeeds (or dies), the round ends with one side winning. Ideally rounds should be about one hour, sandbox gamemodes might extend the time.

Interesting features include a spherical planet - terrain generated by marching cubes - that you can walk around on. Since gravity is directional, it's possible to walk straight around the planet, and build things on the other side. All buildings are made from object pieces, like wall/floor tiles that fit together.

Gas is simulated too, a punctured hull will lead to depressurization. Release oxygen in a room, and stuff will catch on fire easier. Shut off the air scrubbers, and people will die from carbon dioxide poisoning.

At the moment these features are not directly accessible in the current build, we're still working on it.

Starting the game:
Run a.exe in the SERVER folder first
Then run a.exe in the CLIENT folder second.
Game should start with a blue terminal screen:
USE UP AND DOWN ARROW KEYS TO MAKE SELECTION
Select Employment
Press enter
enter "localhost" without quotes
Press enter
Enter your name, then press down and select "send" by pressing enter.

Controls:
WASD: Move
Mouse: Aim
Mouse1: Build/Interact/Pickup/Delete
Q: Drop Screw Driver
,: Scroll Through Objects
.: Rotate Object
Esc: Close Terminal

Interactions:
Click and hold mouse 1 on a power box while holding a screw driver to open or close it.
(There is a screw driver sitting on the edge of a window on the side of the station you spawn in)

Click a terminal to interact with it.

Click on a door switch to open the door.

Terminal Commands:
hi
Say hello to terminal
cow
See our terminals advanced graphic features
giveitem "playeridgoeshere" 1 (check the server console for your player ID)
This command gives you a screw driver.

If you'd like to build your own station, jump down the the planets surface (its a long fall)

BUILDING TIPS
Terminals need a power box nearby to work.

Doors need a switch next to them to open/close

There are two types of flat tiles, one normal size, one slightly narrower. The narrower one is used to fill in gaps where need, Please do not try to build your whole station with these, you will run into issues!

Latest build is available here: https://sites.google.com/site/spacestationdelta/downloads
Be sure to download the .zip that was uploaded most recently.

Art:
Charles Blanchard - Delko
[email protected]

Programming:
Jens Goldberg - Aransentin/Kadath
[email protected][/quote]

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:09:47 PM by Delko » Logged

Jase
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:12:38 AM »

This is really cool so far. I'm a sucker for space games and even started building something with a similar concept to this, but it was just too ambitious a project for me. I really hope you continue to build this because it's got a huge amount of potential.

What sort of feedback are you after? Bugs, playability or just general?
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:02 AM »

Mostly bugs since there isn't much game play in place yet. Be sure to check the console window for any error messages.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »

I saw this earlier somewhere around here - great graphical style!

Jase
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »

The one thing that was really irking me was that your window was capturing and interacting with my mouse when it wasn't the active window, so when I tabbed out to see the instructions in my browser, it still locked my cursor to the center.

It ran just fine for me, didn't notice any errors or performance issues (i7 920, GTX580).

I found it a little tricky to line up pieces correcly sometimes and had to walk forward/back/side-to-side in little increments in order to get the right position. I'm not sure how to improve it though.

Also this isn't a bug, but is there a way to play without firing up the server included in the download?
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »

Yeah lining up pieces can be tricky, especially the doors. We'll work on that. You need to run the server to play, the game needs to be hosted on something. As for the mouse locking, it was disabled in the older builds, but when you tabbed back into the game the aiming was all messed up, because you cursor was not longer centered.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 07:25:54 PM »

This is fantastic. I'm following this.

I clicked the link hoping it'd be related to Space Station 13.

If you can manage to make this at least as functional as SS13 but with a more convenient interface you will become wealthy.
Mango Man
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »

I saw this on /r/gamedev. This looks amazing. I get this error in the console though:

Code:
ERROR: 0:9: 'texture' : no matching overloaded function found (using implicit conversion)
ERROR: 0:9: 'assign' : cannot convert from 'const float' to 'FragUserData 4-component vector of float'
Framebuffer failed!
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »

Not sure whats causing that, we'll look into it.

New builds up.

ssdelta_0.4.1.zip

https://sites.google.com/site/spacestationdelta/downloads
-You can now jump using spacebar
-A chat window - press enter to type a message for nearby players to hear.
-Large performance improvements, bugfixes

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:29 AM »

So, this is going to be an approachable version of Space Station 13? Sounds awesome!

I hope the final interface will be as slick as those wonderful screenshots!

PS. Why is there no thread on your lovely looking racing game as well?

Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »

Well, I haven't been working on Turbo Run lately, I need to get a full time programmer. I was thinking about making a kickstarter so I could higher one, but thats a lot of work.

Anyway, right now I'm working on rigging and animating a player model for this.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 03:02:03 AM »

Notch's 0x10C suddenly looks a lot like this game...

...the games will probably have different goals, though (this is more a Space Station 13 update, I hope, while the other is... Minecraft in space)?

Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:47 AM »

It's not something new, just like MC wasn't. I'm pretty sure people will just bandwagon around "X is copying 0x10c" just like they do with everything that has even a vague resemblance to MC.

I've seen that whole "pixelated sci fi design" before, even did it myself, the only "new" thing is that it's gonna be used for a high profile game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic