Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:57:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSwivel - 2 Player Puzzle Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Swivel - 2 Player Puzzle Game  (Read 745 times)
Baobab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »

Okay so I'll try to keep this as short as possible: I came up with this game a week ago and have been playing with it ever since. It's a 2 player puzzle game where each player picks a color and attempts to make their color into a row, column, or diagonal of 5.

I feel like the mechanics are interesting, but there is a problem that will never go away; it is too easy to predict your opponent's winning moves and stop him, which in turn removes the strategy. I can't think of a way to fix this, so I'm hoping you guys can help steer me in a good direction.

Rules:
-Each player chooses a color and attempts to make a full row, column or diagonal out of their color
-Each player gets to move 2 times per turn

Controls:
-Swivel - Click the black (invisible) buttons in the middle of each 2x2 to rotate it clockwise
-Slide - Press Left or Right arrow keys to slide the row your mouse is on, or press Up or Down arrow keys to slide the column your mouse is on

If this was confusing as heck, I can try to explain it better.

Play it here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1906363/Game%20Design%20Stuf/Swivel%20with%20slide.swf
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:00:25 PM by Baobab » Logged
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »

So basically a multiplayer Rubix Cube? Cool concept, I think it could eventuate into a good multiplayer Bluetooth app if done well.

I don't really see how you would get around that either. Maybe you could increase the size of the playing grid so the player can be working on multiple connections if one fails then the other one will be the backup plan. Or you could make the player have to connect multiple squares on the same grid so you will mainly be trying to defend your connections rather than destroying the opposition - if that makes sense...

Baobab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:16:09 AM »

I didn't get the second bit. Sounded like what the game currently is.
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »

Sorry, reading back on it now sounds like bullshit.
What I mainly meant is if there were more squares (say 12x12) in the grid, and the player was able to connect 4 on different parts of the grid on multiple different axis's.

but never mind, I am tired and it probably didn't make sense again. Facepalm

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »

Upon the mention of a Rubix cube, what about using the flat plan for the cube as a playing field?

These sections could also be switched around in the same fashion as the squares. e.g. switch the order of the sides create a line of 4. Hope this creates a new viewpoint for the project!

Baobab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »

I don't understand what you mean, but it sounds interesting.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic