Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 01:21:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHeroes & Castles - Action-RPG/strategy/castle defense hybrid
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heroes & Castles - Action-RPG/strategy/castle defense hybrid  (Read 1176 times)
FoursakenMedia
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »

Hello all, we've been developing on iOS for a while and are getting ready to release our newest game called Heroes & Castles next week (Jan 17).

In a nutshell, its a 3rd person Action-RPG, mixed heavily with strategy and castle defense elements. You will play as one of 3 heroes, build up an economy, summon units to fight alongside you in the battlefield (like a "light" RTS), build up your castle defenses, and ultimately defend your Keep from the enemy.

We were really shooting for an immersive, visceral feeling with Heroes & Castles, so it really feels like you're in the middle of a huge LoTR battle, with hordes of enemies and tons of ally units fighting beside you (H&C supports over 70 units on screen at once).

Anyway, we'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

If you're interested in more, you can follow us @foursakenmedia on Twitter. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:36:17 PM by FoursakenMedia » Logged
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:26:17 AM »

Seems a bit like Dungeon defenders.
FoursakenMedia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »

Seems a bit like Dungeon defenders.

Thank for the feedback! But hmmmm... I'd say they're nothing alike really. Dungeon Defenders focused more on closed combat (small, indoor environments) and building towers, not to mention the vastly different perspectives... tbh, I just wasn't that huge a fan of that game (though to be fair, I thought it was definitely a well put together, interesting game).

Heroes and Castles is really about huge battles, building up an army, managing an economy, defending your castle, and managing your pace of progression (similar to an RTS in managing your spending on economy vs units and upgrades). Your hero is actually just a fraction of the combat here, as you WILL die without supporting him with the proper units. Armored skeletons will need armor piercing units to take them down, Trolls will need heavy hitting weaponry like Ballista turrets to stop them, Wraiths will require you to actively target them with your hero to take them down (they take almost no damage from regular units), hordes of goblins will require AoE blasting dwarven blunderbusses or cannon towers, etc... strategy is a huge part of H&C.

I would actually say Heroes & Castles is more like a 3d version of Army of Darkness or Legendary Wars, to give it a really basic comparison.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »

I think it's a shame that the game main visuals are so obscured by all that HUD,
Perhaps you could think of grouping the HUD elements into categories that open out and collapse shut when pressed. Or you could have these categories in tabs, where you can only have one tab pressed at a time

I personally find having this much HUD really daunting, it's too much to take in at any one time, probably half the reason I've never played WoW

FoursakenMedia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »

I think it's a shame that the game main visuals are so obscured by all that HUD,
Perhaps you could think of grouping the HUD elements into categories that open out and collapse shut when pressed. Or you could have these categories in tabs, where you can only have one tab pressed at a time

I personally find having this much HUD really daunting, it's too much to take in at any one time, probably half the reason I've never played WoW

I can see that... we do introduce things at a nice pace via the tutorial, which is about all we can do. Unfortunately in a game like this where you NEED all of the elements in the HUD once you learn how to play, there's really no way to filter it down.

We do hide things though when you first start playing, so again, you are gradually introduced to things.
FoursakenMedia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:01:34 PM »

Hey guys, just a quick update. Heroes and Castles is now available on the App Store!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heroes-and-castles/id563297418?mt=8

We're really excited as its just hit the top 50 with a 5 star average, and was featured by Apple! We'd love for you to give it a look now that its out Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic