Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 06:36:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDeprivation [Platformer Without Jumping]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Deprivation [Platformer Without Jumping]  (Read 788 times)
kraflab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:16:16 PM »

Hello there,

I would like to introduce you to Deprivation, a difficult platformer in the vein of VVVVVV.  The player has no ability to jump and must use a system of momentum reversal to get around.  The game is split into zones and levels as in Super Meat Boy, where you need to complete a certain percentage of levels to move on to the next zone.  The levels generally consist of a single "jump" the player must make (as well as bonus goodies to pick up).  Jumping requires 2 steps: 1) place a portal.  2) teleport to your portal, which reverses your momentum as you exit it.  Thus, you can gain vertical momentum by teleporting while falling.  It is a relatively simple mechanic but there is a lot of fun to be had with it.  It also vaguely sounds like Portal, but it is really very different in practice.

I'll be releasing a more official demo soon, but before I get to that point I wanted to get some feedback on the current tutorial.  I want to know if you are able to figure out how things work or if it is frustrating.  When I show people the game in person, they tend to enjoy it, but my presence gives them an advantage when it comes to figuring out the mechanics.  This version has just 15 levels, so you won't get into the crazy difficult stuff yet.

Screenshots:

Download:
http://kraflab.com/Deprivation_Demo.zip

Any general feedback is welcome, although my main concern here is the experience of a new player trying to learn the game.  I think the real fun comes in the later levels, which I will make available in the official demo later on.  The game will also be available on Linux and Mac when it comes out.

Thanks for your time!
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:45:01 AM »

Interesting take on Portal Smiley Its really easy to learn Smiley
kraflab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »

Interesting take on Portal Smiley Its really easy to learn Smiley

Cool, thanks for the feedback  Smiley
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »

What language / engine was this made with? Its lovely and smooth, great fluidity.
kraflab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »

What language / engine was this made with? Its lovely and smooth, great fluidity.

Blitzmax

Imagine the functionality and robustness of c++ inside the ease-of-use of basic, but also with a complete game-development engine including graphics, sound, net, threads, etc built in.
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »

Ah I used Blitz Basic in the past, good days Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic