Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 07:10:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignProcedural Generation Cost Analysis
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Generation Cost Analysis  (Read 2878 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »

Diablo doesn't really need "PG" levels I think. The only thing that should be randomized are the item drops. This is especially important for multiplayer. Titan Quest does it better (hand-designed levels + random item drops).
st33d
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »

I'd disagree.

Exploring around the plains, caves and dungeons in Diablo I found to be great fun. And replayable to this day.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 01:31:22 PM »

well idk i've never really tried exploring in diablo because i mostly played the games online. tbh i find them a bit boring in singleplayer mode.
st33d
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »

I'd didn't have a stable internet connection till 2005. LAN Diablo was a lot of fun, but we simply didn't play online games back then. It wasn't possible where we lived.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »

A fair number of them, actually. Some do a real good job of feeling distinctive and really enjoyable, but eventually plucking around within games, you *can* sort of get predictability down in some of them. (I noticed Red Rogue often likes putting exits in the bottom-left most; bottom-center secondmost).

Exploration - especially as a major point in the game - is a terrific kind of thing that makes PGC very valuable in concept; and fundamentally it's a big building block of games aforementioned. It's the distribution - and actual presence - of gameplay elements that really determines the overall funness of PGC.

If there's two areas that I could see most Roguelikes/PGC games better balanced in; it's item drop rate and enemy/trap distribution. They tend to be either way heavy or way light in at least one of those departments.

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 06:19:12 AM »

Exploration - especially as a major point in the game - is a terrific kind of thing that makes PGC very valuable in concept; and fundamentally it's a big building block of games aforementioned. It's the distribution - and actual presence - of gameplay elements that really determines the overall funness of PGC.

Yeah, this.

A problem I'm dealing with now is reward for exploration. People don't explore to find yet another dead end. Everyone wants to find something special. That's the holy grail. Lot's of special things spaced out in a way that is unpredictable so that it drives the player to explore and be pleasantly surprised at reasonable intervals.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »

Regarding Mysterious Castle, or another project?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic