Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 05:01:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign"Where's my water", "Cut the rope"... those games and their many puzzles.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Where's my water", "Cut the rope"... those games and their many puzzles.  (Read 6634 times)
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:38:03 AM »

No matter if you are an iOS player or not, you probably know about these games... Where's my water (

), Cut the Rope (

), Greedy Spiders (http://youtu.be/qv0X-m1pbCw) and Angry creatures in general.

They have one thing in common: a usually one-screen puzzle that sometimes is solved in a matter of seconds, sometimes they take you minutes to figure out, or even more.  But it's not ten, or twenty puzzles, it's hundreds of them! (or so it seems)

We recently released an action title with just 16 levels and we spent a few days balancing gameplay. How do designers come up with so many levels for these games?

I could imagine a procedural puzzle generator based on graph theory for Greedy Spiders, and even a random structure creator for  Angry Birds... but I fear they really require an army of people just devising new content, is that so?

Sometimes I feel it shouldn't be that complex. You have some building blocks (whatever they are) and you place them in a certain way so a goal is achieved. Then you remove some pieces and show it to the player, who must recreate your puzzle... But I'm sure that best puzzles aren't created simply by removing pieces...

Have you created something similar? How did you handled the puzzle creation issue?

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 03:17:44 AM »

I think when you look at the difficulty curve, those games it's incredibly slow increase across the levels. At some point it'll introduce a new element and start again at the bottom, later mixing elements together. I do agree though, hundreds in pretty impressive.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 03:20:10 AM »

You must be intelligent to design puzzles, I am not, so I never design puzzles.

st33d
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »

Just released a physics puzzler today.

It's really just a matter of stacking things up and having them topple over in the right order / direction.

Then you introduce elements that complicate that premise.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:38:18 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Angry Birds people just throw in random blocks and, if someone in the studio can beat it even once, it gets shipped as-is. That's why you'll find an incredibly easy level next to one that will take days of trial and error to get just one star on.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »

Ask scott kim (and pajitnov): http://www.scottkim.com/thinkinggames/index.html

http://www.scottkim.com/thinkinggames/GDC00/index.html start here

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »

Gold-Tip:

There is actually a method how to get creative. If you want a great variety of puzzles then your best bet is to design the rule-set with as many complementary parts as possible. That way you will have great control over level-design. Each rule in your set might represent a certain number of according possible gameplay-concepts/situations. Try to filter as many as possible out by simply playing and thinking what you are actually doing. With a concept I mean a certain requirement how to solve a certain situation/s. I also refer to it as "tools". Because you use an intellectual property (idea/concept) to solve a situation.
Perhaps this vid helps to make it clear (you can skip the first minute if you have no patience):

So in the end you are left with a large amount of that concepts. Then it is just about how and how many of them you want to mix into each level.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »

You must be intelligent to design puzzles, I am not, so I never design puzzles.
i'm in the same boat. dumb people unite!  Durr...?
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »

I think when you look at the difficulty curve, those games it's incredibly slow increase across the levels. At some point it'll introduce a new element and start again at the bottom, later mixing elements together. I do agree though, hundreds in pretty impressive.

This is exactly right.

If you play these, you'll find 2-3 levels teach the exact same thing. "Pure" or "true" or whatever puzzle games tend not to do this. They introduce something, teach it, and then continue to expand upon it, level-by-level.

From what I can discern, the games you mention teach it, use it a few times, expand upon it, use it a few times, and continue.

These games are more repetitive and perhaps monotonous, so they contain more levels.

I have no basis for this statement (accusation?), but I think that the people behind these games assume that their players are going to be dim-witted and require more hand-holding.

Honestly, when you ask me, I prefer quality over quantity for puzzle games. I think I find that fewer, but more well-thought puzzles will take longer to solve than a large collection of simple, mindless ones.

I just made a puzzle game for Ludum Dare and could have made more levels, but decided to remove them because they were too simple or didn't bring anything new to the table. I think these designers keep these levels [even if they shouldn't].
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 05:52:19 AM »

I have no basis for this statement (accusation?), but I think that the people behind these games assume that their players are going to be dim-witted and require more hand-holding.

Honestly, when you ask me, I prefer quality over quantity for puzzle games. I think I find that fewer, but more well-thought puzzles will take longer to solve than a large collection of simple, mindless ones.
I have the same philosophy like you here. However it seems that most agree that one should lead the player through progressively harder getting levels. So it happens that alot of them are easy, when you look back.

What do you think about following that route but avoid being too repetitive?

If you like a challenging puzzler you should definitely keep TrapThem in mind.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:59:15 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
st33d
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 06:23:07 AM »

There's a wider audience for physics puzzle games, hence the casual entry level.

As for level quantity: Time spent in a puzzle game is extremely variable. That's why you offer a lot of levels. Some people will whip through it all in minutes and some will take ages to solve something simple.

It's not easy coming up with a large amount of interesting levels, and not everybody succeeds at it, but you have to remember that puzzles rarely have any replay value and even less story. You shouldn't just cut levels, you should make better ones to replace them.

This doesn't hold for all genres but I think that puzzle gamers in my experience have a larger appetite for levels.
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:58:58 AM »

I haven't played those particular games, but I got the same impression with Crayon Physics and World of Goo.

In my mind, games that have tons of quantity typically sacrifice quality. Can you really say that many of those hundreds of puzzles are memorable? I would guess not. Whereas, I would say most of Braid's puzzles are quite memorable, since each one offers almost a narrative about a unique mechanic. I can recall so many of the "ah-ha!" moments in Braid. This is true to a lesser extent in Portal, but still true for many of its puzzles.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »

but you have to remember that puzzles rarely have any replay value
In my case they often have replay-value because you can challenge yourself to beat it in less steps. I think it is a great idea:
Look here, there is a fundamentally different idea hidden in this level that allows you to solve it much less tedious than what you see here. What you think about that?

st33d
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »

Personally I thought that World of Goo was borderline perfect, and pretty much everyone else who's played it I've met has reported the same (the box stacking level aside). That had a lot of content. And I remember most of it.

Bringing up Braid is a weird one, since he reused levels several times in a fashion that felt like padding and often the puzzles involved some pixel perfect jump doing something illogical. Not really a puzzle. More like a riddle. I like puzzles, I don't like riddles.

Simply saying, "there's more, so it's going to be crap", seems a bit self-defeating really. Why not create more, and do it properly? That's essentially what I'm arguing - that doing more is a very difficult undertaking, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »

There will be 100 levels+ in total in TrapThem. But one level can have up to 3 different versions. So it seems like only 30 of them are unique at first. But a harder version of a level will require new ideas in order to be solved.

What do you think about that?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »

I'M PUMPED UP ABOUT TRAP THEM
 Hand Shake Left Epileptic Hand Shake Right
TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM TRAP THEM

THEM TRAP!!!!!1111

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »

I know, I know, son. Just you wait!

stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 02:50:48 PM »

Personally I thought that World of Goo was borderline perfect, and pretty much everyone else who's played it I've met has reported the same (the box stacking level aside). That had a lot of content. And I remember most of it.

Bringing up Braid is a weird one, since he reused levels several times in a fashion that felt like padding and often the puzzles involved some pixel perfect jump doing something illogical. Not really a puzzle. More like a riddle. I like puzzles, I don't like riddles.

Simply saying, "there's more, so it's going to be crap", seems a bit self-defeating really. Why not create more, and do it properly? That's essentially what I'm arguing - that doing more is a very difficult undertaking, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Wow... OK I think you and I just have very different taste in puzzles/riddles Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic