Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 04:41:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)When pixel art and polygons make love
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: When pixel art and polygons make love  (Read 22877 times)
The-Imp
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »

I don't have the materials... Nor' can I afford them! I'd love to try if I could though, tis interests me...
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 09:45:14 PM »

ogod this thread is so full of sexy.

Finally. Now, then...

Low-poly Compo, anyone?
YES

Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 01:10:51 AM »

Finally. Now, then...

Low-poly Compo, anyone?

Yes. YEEEEES!!!

Pietepiet's also done some pretty smexy low-res stuff.

[IMAGE HERE]

Kiss

Haha, thanks man!
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 03:05:52 AM »

Low poly, an art style I can actually do.

I'm reconsidering Qlippoth being 2D in it's final iteration, because I can't do pixel art for crap but I kick ass with low-poly models. If I make low poly mean 200 polies or so, I could even make it look fairly detailed in that fashion... not to mention animation will be less of a bitch.
Jrsquee
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:53 PM »

If we do a lowpoly compo, I might actually be able to try the games.  Go for it!
Squiggly_P
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 01:41:32 AM »

Someone asked if there was an app that let you paint directly on the models?

Blender can do that.  You have to change a couple of the default settings so it will look decent for pixeling, but I use it all the time.  Blender has a built-in painting tool, but it's a bit limited.  Pixel art is a snap to do with it, tho.

I actually have been working on this sort of low-res stuff lately as practice...

Model + texture in Blender.  Been a while, but I think it's a 64x64 for the box and a 32x32 for the controllers...  might be a 64 for both, tho.  Can't remember...

EDIT:  Another link for people wanting to see more of this stuff.  This thread is old as hell, and the first dozen or so pages have broken images on them, but there's a ton of awesome to be seen: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=41232
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:44:58 AM by Squiggly_P » Logged
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 03:35:13 AM »

looking at that link Squiggly has given me such PS1 nostalgia...

if anyone wants to make a low poly game some time, I want in on it!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 03:56:55 AM »

I always found that the Megaman Legends games had the most beautiful use of low-res textures on polygons.

http://www.legends-station.com/mml2/wallpaper/mastermemory0800.jpg
http://www.legends-station.com/motb/wallpaper/colossus0800.jpg
http://www.legends-station.com/motb/wallpaper/harbor0800.jpg
http://www.legends-station.com/motb/wallpaper/farm0800.jpg
http://www.legends-station.com/mml2/wallpaper/serabattle0800.jpg

Seriously, that is some awesome use of limited polycount and textures resolutions.
The artistic direction and character designs seem to fit perfectly with that somehow, especially for the enemy robots.

i found them very ugly and not so lowres

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 05:33:03 AM »

Some of my favourite pixelly PS1 low poly, Vagrant Story:

Sometime I want to make something PS1 style, complete with the low accuracy jittery 3D.  Smiley

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 09:13:17 AM »

I find almost all of these low-poly graphics ugly. Most seem like a technical limitation instead of a style, like stuck in an awkward place between Alone in the Dark and Crysis. Also because that's a whole era that has nothing to do with me.

But I do like really low-poly like Alone in the Dark and Ecstatica (triangles are boring, spheres are awesome). And Katamary Damacy managed to make low-poly a style, and it's beautiful.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »

I would totally be in for a low poly comp!! Lets get it started!  Maybe somebody could do a tutorial sometime on modeling/uv unwrap in blender for people who dont know how. (actually i dont know how either but i use max Wink)

jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2009, 10:02:14 AM »

Pure beauty.  The shambler and the scrag are some of the best monster designs ever.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »

I don't like those old low-poly graphics in such cases as Quake and Vargant Story, they look very messy. But when such low-poly graphics are done with the low-poliness in mind, like those TF 2 things, it often looks great!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 02:14:04 PM »

could some one do like a low-poly modeling tut for blender? I'm completely stumped with it.

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »

could some one do like a low-poly modeling tut for blender? I'm completely stumped with it.

Heh.  Me too.

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 04:26:56 PM »

i could do one for 3ds max only sry, i dunno blender.

Available for Freelance
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »

Me three, please.
Squiggly_P
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »

I can do one, tho it will take a day or three to get it finished / online and it will probably be really basic.  Probably just something simple like a treasure chest or something like that.  Will do a full tut - modeling, UV mapping and texture in Blender so you can see the whole process and I'll see if I can record the whole thing to video.  I love video tuts.

I'd totally be down to do some lowpoly collaborations.  I've been wanting to get into doing some games, but I've never been able to wrap my skull around the programming stuff.

EDIT: Might take a day longer, as I've just spent a couple hours trying to figure out why my mic wasn't working.  It's midnight now, so I've got some sleeping to do.  Will make the vid tomorrow.  Sorry.

Incidentally, if you guys have IRC, there are a number of blender channels on freenode.  I hang in #blenderchat and #smc pretty much constantly, and people are generally helpful in there :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:04:04 PM by Squiggly_P » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »

It is amazing that there is such a division about whether low poly is good. :/ I guess this kind of division happens with any art style?
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

It does! Almost all art styles I can think of have a group of detractors nearly as large as the supporters. (The only exception that comes to mind is classical art, which is, unless I just talk to a very limited group of people, almost universally considered brilliant.)

I think low-poly 3D has more going against it than otherwise, though, because it's the odd man out. It's not particularly "classic", but at the same time it's not "innovative," or "realistic" (for those who aren't interested in style so much as eye candy). It's stuck in an awkward position.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic