Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 10:29:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Atmospheric Games (image heavy!)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: Atmospheric Games (image heavy!)  (Read 83098 times)
increpare
« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2008, 05:06:20 PM »

netstorm (I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread yet)

wonderfully, deeply, and I think uniquely (in its own way) atmospheric game...though bloody hard :/
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 05, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »

I dont like bioshock

*runs
Do not run. You are not alone.
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: March 05, 2009, 01:55:23 PM »

Do not run. You are not alone.

I think that's the point, when you're hip-deep in an atmospheric survival horror FPS game, the fact that you're not alone is the problem.  Hand Fork Left Noir Hand Knife Right

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
HannesP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: March 05, 2009, 02:05:05 PM »

I don't know if anyone has brought them up yet, anyway:

Morrowind:

I love its limited LOS, I love the ubiquitous brownness, I love all the small little villages built upon or around water. I love those spore pods where people live, and I love Fargoth. Ehh, I take back the last one.

Panzer Dragoon Orta:

There are a few gems in this game, and if every level looked like the one in the screenshot above it would've been a masterpiece. The movie sequence in the end of that level, where it shows that the entire course took place upon a floating animal of some sort, is extremely gorgeous.

Mario Land 3: Wario Land

Maybe the best Mario related 2D platformer. Loads of nice environments, well-designed enemies, atmospheric music etc.

Animaniacs for GameBoy
I couldn't find any pictures of it on Google. It was my first GameBoy game, ever. That should be enough to explain why it's on this list Wink
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »

Mario Land 3: Wario Land

Maybe the best Mario related 2D platformer. Loads of nice environments, well-designed enemies, atmospheric music etc.
YES.

Also, Hotel Dusk:
You really have to see the animation.  Also, so far, the writing is brilliant.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Günter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2009, 12:04:10 AM »

Condemned 2: Bloodshot was very good at drawing you in, and then screwing with your mind. Much of the immersion was from sound design, but it was no slouch graphically.

Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »

The City Of Metronome

http://www.tarsier.se/attachments/met_splaycover.jpg
http://www.tarsier.se/attachments/met_mainstr.jpg
http://www.tarsier.se/attachments/switchboardman.jpg

Pico
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 03, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »

Awesome.

whee
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 03, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »

The City Of Metronome

Don't. You're making me cry!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »

The City Of Metronome
Woah I'd never seen this game before. Sounds like Beyond Good and Evil (not a bad thing at all) but with sound.

Rishav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2009, 11:53:01 AM »

i don't know how many here know about it, but what about Syberia. In my opinion it is one the most beautiful games ever made. a visual triumph and it all just made it so wistfully atmospheric. I still have the screenshots of Valadilene and often when I am in a bad mood I would boot up the game and play through the 1st level.
I loved the rain, the light mist in the morning, the tiny town with its sparse inhabitants , the small stream and its bridge. the caves and the mammoth pictures, stories of Han's childhood and his consuming desire to find the mammoths again. and the automatons all over. the rusty, squeaky woundup automatons.
An absolute masterpiece of a game as far as atmosphere and visual beauty is considered. unfortunately Sokal isn't that great a game developer as he is an artist.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/syberia/images/2879350/3/?thumb_set=4&tag=thumbs_below;next
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/syberia/images/2879350/9/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;4
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/syberia/images/2879350/11/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;1

Probably the only other game with such emotionally affecting atmosphere has to be the venice levels of The longest journey.

another good example for me is Heretic II. an oldie but the Brom inspired visuals were fantastic for its time and I couldn't believe that a game so gorgeously absorbing was based on the quake II engine.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:57:37 AM by Rishav » Logged
Jrsquee
« Reply #251 on: May 17, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »

Uru: Ages beyond Myst

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »

The City Of Metronome

Don't. You're making me cry!

WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS THING? Tarsier's site is still up, but no updates.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2009, 11:06:13 PM »

No publisher. Everyone chickened out because the game had some innovative stuff in it.

Cry

I think the whole game is made actually, it's just that no-one is willing to print the DVDs.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2009, 11:57:12 PM »

for me it's Little Big Adventure

(my personal favourite game of all time!)

Oh man, props to this guy.  I had totally forgotten about this game and how good it was until now.  It came out in 1993 or 94 but it feels sooo long ago now. 

Also someone mentioned Out of this World and Myst, good stuff.  Bringing back good memories.

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: May 20, 2009, 12:29:44 PM »

Wow. Most of my picks for atmosphere have already been taken. Alright then.

Everyone talks about how great Knytt Stories was, but what about Seiklus?

This screenshot really doesn't do it justice; the use of music, ambient sound, and random small touches did it for me. Like, that fish will randomly follow you around in that pool of water. He's not anywhere else in the game, just there.

I can't find any good screenshots, but the two N64 Zelda games also oozed atmosphere. Anyone else remember the first time they exited the forest in Oceania of Time and saw the field unfold before them in the morning light? Getting sent off by a freaking ninja to save the kingdom? So epic!

The epicness was diminished significantly when I realized I promptly had to go back to town to perform errands to get a Pikachu mask.
Randy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: May 21, 2009, 05:03:41 AM »

These are shots from the DS title my studio is working on.  Since I'm the lead artist on it, it's become my mission to create fantastic atmosphere in the title.  I adore atmospheric games so I hope I've been directing my team correctly to reach my goal.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: May 21, 2009, 05:37:58 AM »

@JamesGecko: seiklus is indeed the grandfather of atmospheric indie games. clysm hasn't released a game in so long but hopefully will soon!

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: May 21, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »

Holy crap, Randy, that looks great! I can't wait to see more of the project. Best of luck to you and your team!
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2009, 12:36:09 PM »

Randy that is totally awesome.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic