Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 06:47:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Understory (previously "Spectre Shock")
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: The Understory (previously "Spectre Shock")  (Read 38656 times)
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »

Yeah, I've been wondering about that, too. I haven't really gotten around to thinking about implementing separate UI screens yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll want to do that for the world map at least, so it might make sense to do the same for the level map.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »

Looks absolutely amazing!
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »

Made some tech changes to better support multi-color textures without artifacts (no more DXT1 compression) and without sacrificing file size. Also added proper chroma keying. Now I'm wondering whether I should maintain a really lo-fi one-bit art style or go for something a little more like this:

They have a cave troll!

Right now, I'm leaning more towards maintaining the existing look for simplicity and because I have a pretty clear vision of where it can go in the future, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »

I think it feels out of places. I would stick with something more like the art you originally had. the snake and this orc feel far to different. the orc doesn't feel like park of this game

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »

I like the monochromatic look a lot. I would say that if you go with higher colour depths you'll probably find it's a very slippery slope...

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »

Worked on HUD and combat today. There's no player death yet, but enemies can attack now.

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2011, 12:04:43 AM »

Ah the hud looks great so far. I love the fringed map.

GMacD
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »

Just saw this for the first time - looks ace!  As for the graphics style, the monochrome look is good, but I quite like that troll....  Maybe keep that style for the sequel :-)

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2011, 06:12:10 AM »

I like the coloured troll - maybe as a compromise with the 1 colour enemies, try some as just 2 colours? Using 1 colour feels too flat to me.

Carefree games
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2011, 06:17:21 AM »

I could go either way on the color depth question, but seeing a few other things in the style of the troll could push me off the fence onto that side.

Generally, this looks awesome. Good job on the map.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »

I definitely prefer the 1 bit style, feels more appropriate for the style of the screen you are simulating. Also I might consider having the UI float over the screen instead of a big bar at the bottom - actually i was kind of liking the old version with very little on screen UI to be honest.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »

I would say limit the sprites to either 1 color or 2 colors. 1 would match the environment and 2 would match your hand.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:28:53 PM by JasonPickering » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »

I definitely prefer the 1 bit style, feels more appropriate for the style of the screen you are simulating. Also I might consider having the UI float over the screen instead of a big bar at the bottom - actually i was kind of liking the old version with very little on screen UI to be honest.

Maybe health is usually off-screen, but 'flashes' on for a bit when you get hit, to tell you how much you have left? And there could be a button to make it flash whenever you need it to. (similarly with map, except it doesn't auto-activate, of course)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »

the different colors for different areas of things is fine, I think, but the multiple shades for each color is what's so out of place. You could probably have something with like 8 or whatever colors, and as long as each color is distinct and separate it could maybe still be done in such a way as to fit in aesthetically.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »

Xion's idea sounds good. Also, try removing the black from the troll's image (there is some that's obscuring the area behind him). In addition, like Xion said, try removing the dark shade from the troll, perhaps using the color red, for example, instead. EDIT: At least, try red on his shirt.

richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »

I think the troll looks great to me because it stands out a lot more than the monochrome monsters.

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »

+3 on a Mac port.

First person pixel visuals makes me wonder what cool things could be done with retro chip sounds (which are traditionally mono) in stereo.  That could be fun.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »

Updated ever! Crazy Well I guess it's only been about a week and a half, and I was out of town for PAX for like four of those days, but it feels like a while.

I ripped out my FMOD integration and replaced it with a custom audio implementation based on DirectSound and libvorbisfile. Not loving libvorbisfile for a number of reasons, but it works well enough for now. Don't really want to roll my own Vorbis decoder.

Thanks for all the feedback on the sprite color depth! It sounds like the general consensus is that shading is bad, but multiple colors are okay, which is pretty much how I've been feeling myself. I'm thinking the majority of the "grunt" critters can be a single color; it'll probably only be larger mobs and bosses that will need multiple colors. Now I'm obsessing over whether to have opaque blacks or just imply black with transparency like I was doing before. Tongue

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:06 PM »

Wow, this looks REALLY freaking cool and I cannot wait for its release.

Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2011, 03:31:27 AM »

I ripped out my FMOD integration and replaced it with a custom audio implementation based on DirectSound and libvorbisfile. Not loving libvorbisfile for a number of reasons, but it works well enough for now. Don't really want to roll my own Vorbis decoder.

Maybe take a look at stb_vorbis - it's a minimal ogg vorbis decoder in a single C file, and is public domain.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic