Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 11:15:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDWARF FORTRESS GIGATON UPDATE IS OUT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: DWARF FORTRESS GIGATON UPDATE IS OUT  (Read 18420 times)
idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2007, 06:36:19 PM »

FYI, new update released.  Not a GIGATON update, but an update nevertheless.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2008, 03:07:33 AM »

Goddamn.  The new development update for Dwarf Fortress:

I also recorded some more information during world generation (marriages, becoming shopkeepers, moving, building construction events, etc.), and the stories were fun to read, though somewhat sparse of course. A dwarven couple got married and were tending shops for 9 years in one town, but when it was time for a new town to be founded, they moved out of their hovel in the capital and one of them became the Mayor of Minesavant while another continued as a shopkeeper at a new shop there. They lived on like that for 80 years. It has little histories like this for 160,000 critters right now... 720,000 historical events... so I might need to stick some of them on the disk and do some culling. This could affect the quality of generated artwork though, and some other things, so it'll have to be careful. The numbers are only going to get higher when the temples are peopled and wars cause displacement and battle events to pile up. It's kinda cool to bump into somebody now though, anybody, and know that you can trace their ancestors back 1000 years to the 10 founding couples of their civilization. It made me think about the dev notes involving heredity and passing natural and supernatural trais of all sorts down in varying degrees... it would be pretty straightforward now, once the traits themselves exist.

Just... wow. Shocked
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2008, 03:18:26 AM »

Yeah, wow one of the reasons to have the development log as a RSS Feed !!!
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2008, 04:04:33 AM »

It blew my mind  Shocked

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2008, 10:17:45 AM »

I'm afraid.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »

That game is just plain scary. Really.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »

I will make a fortress where all dwarves that do not follow Armok, are sacrificed by those that do! MU HAHAHAHHAAHA

"Monom Ensallimul has been unhappy lately. She has been victim of religious persecution lately..."

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2008, 09:01:33 AM »

Awesome!!! Threads like this make me feel guilty for not being able to get into the ASCII-graphics.  Sad It's good thing the plan is to eventually add different graphics, but it wouldn't quite be the same without ASCII graphics either, right?

"Fun is rule."
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:31 AM »

im not gonna bother reading the whole thread, and i cant find any info online but: is there a mac version of this? i really want to give this a shot.

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »

From the dev log: (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html )
12/24/2007: I got Matthew Moss's Kobold Quest Mac port mostly up and running on my Mac Mini today. There are a few this and thats to sort out, but if those are handled smoothly I should have a Mac Kobold Quest posted in a few days. A Mac DF would follow that... it doesn't look too complicated once the KQ works out, but there are always hiccups. There are some issues with fullscreen I guess, and the timers work differently so logic and screen refreshes aren't decoupled on the Mac at this point, but I'm not sure that'll be so much of a problem if most Macs can handle the OpenGL. We'll see how it all turns out.

I think this answers your question with a "no, not yet", but it does seem he's thinking about making a port of DF too.

"Fun is rule."
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »

Hopefully the port won't be too bad if the underlying graphics code is already ported, then.

It seems like, from that entry, the code for Kobold's Quest and DF is shared to some extent.

idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2008, 09:53:59 PM »

At this rate, when toady's done, Dwarf Fortress will play us.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »

In Soviet Rus...

No, wait. I am not going to do that. Lips Sealed
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2008, 06:40:46 PM »

I can't wait till religion is better incorporated into fortress mode, that and armies, though the new thoughts and preferences screen is spiffy.

Right now, Im trying a Hermit game, and its going well so far, its very easy to get way too much food for just one guy, but a single character on a 2X2 Grid, the game runs like a Dream.
I've set up her bedroom with Statues so she doesn't get lonely, she doesn't really try to make goods to trade with other dwarfs because she, as the game says, doesn't trust them, also she loves dwarven wine and querry bush leaves, so thats all she grows, also cows which have been reproducing like crazy. I suggest you try a Hermit game, its way more interesting when you can care and focus all your attention on just one dwarf.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »

Huh -- apparently there's a Mac version forthcoming. This fills me with something akin to glee.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2008, 10:20:05 PM »

I also have a lot of glee due to the Mac version. My computer chair, for the PC, is all business: good for working but bad for gaming because it pretty much enforces good posture.

On the other hand, when using my Apple laptop, I can rig up some contraption using the couch and the piano bench and get some serious slouching going on. If I'm really lazy, I can just lie in bed. That makes it an ideal gaming platform.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2008, 02:02:46 AM »

i dont play this game more then twice because i want to do other things in my life have fun everyone who does!!

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2008, 07:10:03 AM »

That's some crazy method of making your point there..

olücæbelel
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2008, 12:40:06 PM »

Let the record show that e e cummings hates Dwarf Fortress.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2008, 12:52:11 PM »

is it out on mac yet?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic