Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 06:03:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDWARF FORTRESS GIGATON UPDATE IS OUT
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: DWARF FORTRESS GIGATON UPDATE IS OUT  (Read 18417 times)
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »

has there been any attempt at a TIGsauce bloodlines game? could be epic.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2008, 01:40:56 AM »

This game continues to absorb far too much of my time.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »

Latest development update:

I almost made it through, but I got stuck on an annoying world gen hunting bug for a while. I'll finish up stage 3 tomorrow, and I'll probably be able to make some progress toward the stage 4 bug cap as well.

On the bright side, there are now more appropriate people to bring along on your adventures again. I joined up with a married couple. They both used swords, but they weren't part of the town guard so they agreed to come along. The wife was a hunter (and had killed a wolf and two cougars during world gen before I met her), and the husband had been wandering for a few years trying to make a name for himself killing mythical beasts and hadn't met a single one. While we were journeying through the hills on the way to a goblin tower, a pack of seven wolves attacked. The husband got his throat torn out by a wolf that became named Couragebasements. While his wife skewered another wolf, unaffected by dwarf mode thoughts of misery, I killed the other six, including Couragebasements. This wolf was distinguished on my kill list (the other five were grouped together with the region where they were killed). We then went on to rack up some more victims at the goblin tower before eventually dying there. My goblin kill list got a little cumbersome, and it doesn't yet list the primary profession of the goblin, but it gives the names and races, at least (and the undead status). You can view the kill lists in any mode, though you can only view your own kill list in adventure mode (and only your dwarves at this point in dwarf mode).

Later on I suppose hunters in world gen should be found with clothing and trophies relating to their kills, but that likely won't make this release. They can't even talk about it yet (I got the wife's kills from legends). I'm doing the talking part tomorrow, among other things.

The dragons and their other megabeast friends are collecting kills as well, though they won't be able to cause real trouble until a later stage of this release. The hydra that survived world gen had fended off 22 heroes, and a bronze colossus that was destroyed in the year 55 managed to defeat five elves, three dwarves and two humans first. By the end of world generation, the majority of the semimegabeasts like minotaurs and giants were dead, and all of the ones that were still alive had killed multiple heroes to stay that way.

All of these deaths of civilized creatures has the fortunate side effect of keeping the populations below their limits more often, which leads to a wider range of birth dates for races like elves and goblins. Goblins don't try to dragons, but they do hunt regular creatures and suffer losses there. Wars will amplify this.

* added tags to control world gen adventuring behavior of entities
    * made world gen hunters contest wild beasts and record kills
    * recorded all kills by historical figures during regular play
    * allowed viewing of kills in adv mode, dwf mode and legends mode
    * added framework for world gen civilian professions and tracking time spent working

Gad, that is awesome!  I was kind of hoping the wife would end up falling in love with Toady and then profess her love for him in their final battle.

Maybe in the next release? Wink
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2008, 08:19:24 AM »

I finally overcame the ASCII barrier to entry and am now enjoying this game.

My fortress is built at the tip of a giant waterfall, which plunges from the top of a snow-capped mountain into the sea. Halfway down the waterfall, a wooden bridge spans the divide from the north side of the river to the south, shrouded in roiling mist which is constantly thrown off by the roaring cataract. In winter, the river and waterfall gradually turn to ice.

The dwarves often stop to admire the waterfall on their way across the bridge, but sleep uneasily due to the noise. Perhaps I shouldn't have put their sleeping chamber so close to the roaring water?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:40:05 AM by Benzido » Logged
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2008, 08:52:11 AM »

No, but definitely put your dining room or meeting area close to the mist, it makes them really happy.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »

I donated a few bucks last night. It's probably a worthwhile idea for all of you.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »

Its high on my list of things to put my money in once I get a real job.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »

Donated in the run up to the gigaton release, but haven't played it much since. When I get back into it, I'll be donating regularly I think.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic