Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 04:31:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHOLY SHIT GUYS WATCHMEN TRAILER
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: HOLY SHIT GUYS WATCHMEN TRAILER  (Read 11650 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 12:41:39 AM »

Makes myself intent on keeping the rights to any creative work I make in the future.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 01:00:44 AM »

I agree with him, but I think there can be other merits to movies besides artistic integrity, such as (as I said) getting more people to read the comic.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 08:01:07 AM »

I agree with him, but I think there can be other merits to movies besides artistic integrity, such as (as I said) getting more people to read the comic.
I agree. Alan Moore is just being a jerkus and that will only increase his sales too.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 08:17:09 AM »

The last thing Alan Moore wants is for the Watchmen comic to be successful. As soon as they can't make money and stop printing it for a year, he gets the rights back.

Edit:

Check this out: Its DC's page on the Watchmen graphic novel, talk about missing the mark
http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=1462
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:09:18 AM by TeamQuiggan » Logged

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »

Quoted directly from the site:

"It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach. But is Rorschach really insane or has he in fact uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and, even worse, millions of innocent civilians? On the run from the law, Rorschach reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save the world and their lives, but what they uncover will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet! Following two generations of masked superheroes from the close of World War II to the icy shadow of the Cold War comes this groundbreaking comic story — the story of The Watchmen."

Wow. Did these guys even read the book?
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 09:27:31 AM »

Probably not. Did that say "Team up"? Rorschach doesn't really team up with people.

Wait a second. "Paranoid Delusions"? Support for this film just went way down. Lips Sealed
Seth
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 01:38:54 PM »

I wouldn't worry about it, they probably just made an intern write that.
godsavant
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 04:14:30 AM »

I was freaking out in the theater when the trailer came on in a showing of Dark Knight, screaming "omg brickshit fucken watchmen"! But most everybody else hadn't heard of the comic, and all they could recognize was Smashing Pumpkins. So I think it's a clever design choice that will get people interested in a comic-book adaptation that isn't all too well known
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 01:41:14 AM »

Alan Moore is a great writer but he's kind of insane in real life, especially when it comes to movie adaptations. I can understand why he's like that, since the movie industry has screwed him over time and again. Take this for example:
The Cast of Characters vs. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen lawsuit involved Larry Cohen and Martin Poll filing a lawsuit against 20th Century Fox, claiming the company had intentionally plagiarized a script of theirs entitled Cast of Characters in order to create the Sean Connery-starring The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film in 2003. According to the BBC, the lawsuit alleged "that Mr Cohen and Mr Poll pitched the idea to Fox several times between 1993 and 1996, under the name the Cast of Characters."[1][2][3]

The lawsuit alleged that Fox had solicited the comics series The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen from Moore as a "smokescreen" for their intent to produce a movie plagiarizing Cast of Characters.[1][2][3] It also claimed that both films shared similar public domain characters, including Tom Sawyer and Dorian Gray, characters who did not appear in the comic book series.[4] Although Fox dismissed the lawsuit as "absurd nonsense"[3], the case was ultimately settled out-of-court, a decision which Moore, according to the New York Times "took ... as an especially bitter blow, believing that he had been denied the chance to exonerate himself."[5]

He still has no excuse for wearing that ridiculous beard, though.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 04:14:11 AM »

I think that beard is great. I wish I could grow such a beard, but unfortunately my genetics aren't strong enough.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2008, 09:18:53 PM »

Ok, I just read Watchmen, and I have to say that it's brilliant and one of my all time favorites. I don't see how they're going to make a movie out of it. There's too much jumping around for one thing, and there's so much lost by getting rid of the little excerpts at the end of each chapter. Plus, the imagery won't be nearly as stunning or effective in film form.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2008, 12:40:16 AM »

the sound of shit hitting the fan

What is Hollywood's deal? I swear to god they deliberately shit on Alan Moore's works just to piss him off. Big surprise that they wouldn't keep true to the original. Ugh.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Renton
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 01:00:12 AM »

I've always thought the ending was weird and somehow unfitting to the series as a whole. Though I didn't really wanted changed. I just hope they don't change the ending drastically as doing so will clearly lead to more changes in the story.

Also: No giant squid in any of the drafts? David Hayter should be beaten up for that!
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 01:09:14 AM »

I just hope they don't change the ending drastically as doing so will clearly lead to more changes in the story.

Well, I pretty much guarantee that there will be. The last time I actually gave Hollywood the benefit of the doubt they changed Galactus, the biggest ass-kicker this side of the Marvel Universe, into some sort of cosmic cloud that the Silver Surfer (having only a fraction of a fraction of Galactus' power) was somehow able to disperse. Hell, I even let the organic web shooters fly just because Spider-man was a decent movie on the whole. Now it is really irking me, most of the changes that they do are inconsequential. Why do they feel the need to tweak something that doesn't need to be tweaked? I guess the new Batman movies are the last hope for comic book movies staying true to the reference material.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 01:21:23 AM »

I think Zack Snyder has a point. In fact, I would go so far as to say that all Watchmen fans, me included to a certain extent, are in denial, and the reason everyone's up in arms about this is because deep down, we know that the SPOILER was fucking retarded. Don't get me wrong, I think the ending of the comic is great, phenomenal in fact, but that particular element of it... is shit.

If Snyder can come up with a more plausible plot point, while keeping the ending's essential outcome intact, I actually think it could be a better ending than the comic had. And I'm glad to hear that 'God exists and He's American' will be in the film - that was my favourite line from the comic. Funny, I don't remember any pregnant woman getting shot. Guess it's time to read it again.

What I was worried about was that they would seriously screw the ending and have SPOILER.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 01:42:51 AM »

What I was worried about was that they would seriously screw the ending and have SPOILER.

Yeah, that was my biggest fear as well. Hey, if they can pull it off without muddling up things too much then I'll be fine. And for the record I loved the SPOILER in the original comic. I can't believe they robbed me of that, damnit. Oh well.

Renton
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 01:48:57 AM »

In other news, is it just me or does Jon look kinda like Data?
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 01:51:12 AM »

Actually, now that you mention that I can kind of see it.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 03:20:37 AM »

I enjoyed the ending. Bit weird, but what do you think the alternative would be? I hardly think there's an effective way that they could have wrapped the story up otherwise.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 03:28:35 AM »

Well apparently according to leaks from a early showing in Portland the ending entails:SPOILER. Which isn't that bad as long as they keep the premise of the whole event the same.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic