Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411671 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 04:22:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHOLY SHIT GUYS WATCHMEN TRAILER
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: HOLY SHIT GUYS WATCHMEN TRAILER  (Read 11648 times)
Renton
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 03:35:51 AM »

SPOILER.
Huh? Undecided
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2008, 03:49:56 AM »

It could work. I can see how that might work.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2008, 05:06:11 AM »

Yeah, that could be good. I mean, yeah yeah, the original was pretty brilliant, but if it comes to the same point, so be it. After all, The Movie is The Movie and The Comic is The Comic. It's not as if ultimately superficial changes in one will ruin the other.

Though honestly I'd prefer the original ending, I'm not some rabid purist. Go for it, Mr. Director. Just do it well - with restraint and tact.

OH: One more thing. If nothing else, I owe the film one thing - it compelled me to finally read the book. And in the end, I think that's enough.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:09:17 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2008, 05:27:27 AM »

I liked the ending. I thought it was a cool twist on a familiar comic book trope.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2008, 06:20:48 AM »

Man I hope they change other shit in the movie too! Make Rorschach change into a lovable grump! That will test better! Set it in modern times, change communist to terrorist, and Russia to Iraq! Give them super powers, super powers are cooler then no super powers!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
godsavant
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2008, 09:11:48 AM »

meh, didn't really get the subplot with the giant squid, anyway, even after multiple reads. It does pave the way to more drastic changes though...
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2008, 09:27:57 AM »

I actually thought that most of it was foreshadowed pretty well, what with Ozymandias's lynx and the missing artists and all. Only the psychic powers really bothered me, since unless I missed something, I only found one hint at that, and the book had made pretty clear that real superpowers of any kind weren't very common.

If they're able to keep the same general ending without the same exact situation, then, I'd be happy. It's unlikely that it'll be seen as an improvement to most of the book's fans, but if it doesn't change things completely (like I Am Legend did), it'll probably sit much better with everyone who hasn't read the book. The comic's way of achieving the ending was definitely a stretch, even if it was one that was handled well.

I'm kind of reminded of Douglas Adams with this. He had the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy written in, what, 3 or 4 different media (even if the book is the most-known)? Even before the movie was made after his death, he adapted the events to make things ideal for the medium that the story took place in, making sure to keep the spirit of the work more than the exact chain of events.
Renton
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »

New trailer!
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2008/11/new-watchmen-tr.html
Seth
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2008, 02:35:02 PM »

maybe I missed something when I read it, but how did he catch that bullet?  that took me out of the story more than anything
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »

maybe I missed something when I read it, but how did he catch that bullet?  that took me out of the story more than anything
He's not a superhero, he's just in extremely good physical condition. Supposedly, if you saw it coming, you could twist your hand and recoil in a way that would slow the bullet down. You can see that he was still bleeding.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »

HOLY SHIT GUYS SPOILER WARNING

... Yeah okay, I'm REALLY sorry but I'm a sucker for puns and such.

Seth
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »

He's not a superhero, he's just in extremely good physical condition. Supposedly, if you saw it coming, you could twist your hand and recoil in a way that would slow the bullet down. You can see that he was still bleeding.

Hm.  Still BS.
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2008, 06:27:10 PM »

I thought it was implied that he wasn't necessarily telling the truth about just being an everyman who worked hard, and that he has some low-level superpowers of some kind. Maybe I read into more than what was really there, though, and Alan Moore just gave the human body more credit than it deserves.

Admittedly, though, he did mention catching a bullet before actually doing it, and he was shown to have pretty good foresight. He could have, theoretically, brought a crushed bullet with him while wearing some sort of body armor. That was never explicitly mentioned, but he was anticipating a possible fight with armed vigilantes.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »

Set it in modern times, change communist to terrorist, and Russia to Iraq!

They were actaully going to do that, you know. Mr. Director apparently talked them out of it.

AS for SPOILER UPON MOUSEOVER.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »

Honestly, I'm not too surprised that they tried that. Terrorists aren't as scary as Communists though.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »

I'm reading the comic right now - at Chapter VI.

I actually have no idea what is being said in this thread.  For fear of spoilers I just clicked to the last page without reading anything to post this.

I watched the trailer and now wish I hadn't - now I know that whats-her-face goes to Mars and talks to Jon Angry

Back spoilers! Back!

*shuts eyes, plugs ears and runs from room*

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic