Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 03:06:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHOLY SHIT GUYS FALLOUT 3 IS OUT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: HOLY SHIT GUYS FALLOUT 3 IS OUT  (Read 10122 times)
Renton
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2008, 01:27:10 PM »

Well, if Oblivion is any indication to how addicting this game is[...]
Hm. I was incredibly bored of Oblivion. Maybe I hated the setting.
We might never know.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »

grey nextgen landscapes?
I actually looked for just this when I first left the vault, and it seemed to me that everything was about the same color as it was in the first two. Also, I don't know if you've ever been to New Mexico, but desert wastelands tend to actually be dull brown and gray.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »

I like Fallout 3 a lot. It IS "Oblivion with guns", and it ISN'T very Fallouty, but it's a great game nevertheless. Unfortunately, it's horribly buggy. CTDs all the time, plus some other weird stuff (like the doctor from the fire ants quest suddenly running away from me for no reason and getting killed, or people who just stay still shouting stuff at you when you shoot them).
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »

I think I like this game too much.  There were things I meant to do this weekend.

To me, the original Fallouts were full of character interaction that I enjoyed, and laborious dungeon crawling that I did not.  On top of that, you had this huge world to explore, but you were constantly being prodded to complete the main quest.  I found it to be impossible to complete on the first try, because by the time you find all the locations, it's too late.

I like the way F3 gives you something to do at the start, but doesn't pressure you about it.  I think it's perfectly reasonable that after you get kicked out of the vault your character might feel resentful towards their father and not want to go find him - whereas in Fallout the First, if I'm exploring some random two-horse (or brahmin) town I feel like I'm being a huge jerk to the people back home.

And I prefer the VATS system to both normal RPG and normal FPS combat.  It's like the immediacy of blasting things with most of the twitch-factor removed.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2008, 01:39:38 AM »

Pros:
+ I like the VATS system, it works perfectly
+ I love the hacking minigame, everytime I found one I rejoiced

Cons:
- Too many random angry people shooting at me for no good reason
- The radio voice guy (threedog) is utterly super-annoying

I only played for about 3 hours though on a friend's save, so I don't have the full experience. I'd say it's definitely Oblivion with guns, considering the way the environment (mobs etc) behaves. There were also a few conversation bugs, like when you try to tell a lie and it fails, you can tell the same lie again and succeed, but I'm probably asking for too much.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2008, 03:05:24 AM »

Blah, shitsux. Keeps on freezing and crashing every minute on PC on the lowest settings.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2008, 03:58:18 AM »

I fixed that problem (mostly) by turning off the service "Apple Mobile Device" in msconfig.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2008, 05:03:42 AM »

I've been playing a lot of this, and I must say it's one of my favorite games, definitely at least as good as Fallout 2. Maybe the game has it's issues, like the faces, and maybe not much roleplaying during conversations. But to me the game isn't about that. It's all about the setting and the feeling.

I mean the game has a lot of that. Exploring and just walking around is the best part of the game. I find it to be really immerssive at those moments. It made me sad, or happy at moments. Like when I found a house in the city with a Mr. Hands, that if told to would go read night story to the kids, going and telling a story to an empty bed, and when in Megaton they gave me a house, I really felt like finally I had a place to go, a place where I could just hang out

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic