Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 04:33:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI have a PS2, but have I experenced the PS2?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: I have a PS2, but have I experenced the PS2?  (Read 8816 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »

Hey buddies, I bought a PS2 just under 2 years ago, So I missed about 6 years of games for that little bastard. I'm finding out about all these weird Gems of games, I wish I had known about in the past. I thought the PS2 was just shitty JRPGS that I didn't care about, boy was a wrong, so my friends, tell me tales of excellent Ps2 games that I absolutely must play.
Games I own:
Guitar Hero 1,2 & 3
God of War(never played)
Kingdom Hearts I & II(Girlfriend kinda like 'em, I didn't)
Ico (Just got it off Ebay)
Shadow of the Collosis
Soul Calabur 3

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Renton
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. Pretty solid and fun gameplay.
Burnout 3 was awesome. Dunno about 4.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »

Silent

Hill

The-Imp
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:43:50 PM »

Klonoa 2 Lunateas veil
Klonoa 2 Lunateas veil
Klonoa 2 Lunateas veil
Klonoa 2 Lunateas veil
Klonoa 2 Lunateas veil
Klonoa 2 Lunateas veil

NOW
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »

My PS2 experience is pretty limited by virtue of not having one, but have you played the Hitman games? Not exclusive, but since you have a console and all...
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

Start with Ico, then SOTC if you haven't already : D Cream of the crop. <3

As for games that are worthy of owning... I'm in love with Space Channel 5: Part 2. That, and the assorted obscure Japanese music games for PS2...

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:02:36 PM »

We <3 Katamari

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »

Ace Combat 4 and 5 were pretty sweet (assuming you ignored the awful stories).  I'd never been much of a fighter pilot game person, but those are just really really fun!

And dude, if you haven't played it for something else, Rez is an absolute must!
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »

Ace Combat 4 and 5 were pretty sweet (assuming you ignored the awful stories).  I'd never been much of a fighter pilot game person, but those are just really really fun!

And dude, if you haven't played it for something else, Rez is an absolute must!

Ah, of course. Rez is worth owning. It's nice to have it with the Trance Vibrator, but that's largely unnecessary. xD

... Funny, I suggested a Tetsuya Mizuguchi game, too. Rez and Space Channel 5, same daddy. Hard to picture, but true. The Trance Vibrator even works for Space Channel 5.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »

The most fun you can have with your Playstation 2 is God Hand. Buy it.

Once you're done with that there's some other stuff you can get, like SEGA Classics Collection has an absolutely excellent remake of Fantasy Zone on it and the Outrun remake despite looking bot so good is absolutely spot on to play. And it has Virtua Racing which isn't a too bad game. Just save your Virtua Racing data first since there's a really bad bug in the game that prevents you from saving you VR data if you've done so with the other games first. And stay the fuck away from Golden Axe, it's as bad as people say.

Of course, you could just buy Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast instead because it just reeks of love. Yeah, just do that instead though it is nice just to have classic Outrun on hand despite the visuals.

You might want to get both TAITO Legends discs, you should be able to buy them both together still. If you can't though you should go for TAITO Legends 2 for Elevator Action Returns, Cameltry, Cleopatra Fortune and some others, it's really good value for money and the emulation is quite well done.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »

We <3 Katamari
YES.
Okami and Beyond Good and Evil are also great.
And Mercenaries.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »

Gitaroo Man, if you like music games or crazy Japanese stuff.

Jak and Daxter, if you like free-roaming platformers.

Psi-Ops, if you can find it.

Okami, if you have a pulse.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 05:02:33 PM »

Psychonauts, Chulip, Amplitude/FreQuency, LifeLine, Rez, Gitaroo Man, Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, and... Burnout Revenge.

EDIT: Removed the games I didn't realize he already had. My bad.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:49:20 PM by Otaku42 » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »

Way of the Samurai
Disgaea
GTA San Andreas

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 05:13:47 PM »

ICO, Psychonauts, Chulip, Amplitude/FreQuency, LifeLine, Rez, Gitaroo Man, Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, Kingdom Hearts 2 (it's a Square Enix game where the actual gameplay is better than the story), and... Burnout Revenge.
he says he has ico and kh2

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »

We <3 Katamari
This. I was shocked that it wasn't mentioned earlier.

As much as I try to be a fanboy for Microsoft, I kind of have to admit that the PS2 was better than the XBox. It just has more really cool games.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »

It's nice to have it with the Trance Vibrator, but that's largely unnecessary. xD
Wait, are you saying that you OWN the Trance Vibrator!?!

Shocked      :D     Beer!
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 08:57:13 PM »

It's nice to have it with the Trance Vibrator, but that's largely unnecessary. xD
Wait, are you saying that you OWN the Trance Vibrator!?!

Shocked      :D     Beer!
Doesn't it come with the game?Besides make for some interesting night with the gf.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

Wowzers this thread exploded since I left to go meet up with some of my buddies.
Klonoa 2 Lunateas veil
I thought those were shitty mascot games, so I payed them no mind.

Space Channel 5: Part 2. That, and the assorted obscure Japanese music games for PS2...
I've always wanted to try the Space channel games. I was a huge fan of Pa Rappa the Rapper back in the day, but I didn't bother with any music rythem games until Guitar Hero. Maybe Ill try to hunt down a copy.
Ace Combat 4 and 5
I played a alot of Ace Combat the latest one at Gamestop when I worked there, to close to Independence day style arcade shooter for me, it needs to be closer to Wing Commander.
The most fun you can have with your Playstation 2 is God Hand. (Classics)
Ahhhh, God Hand, I remember when that came out, it didn't get the most favourable reviews, so I ignored it, I had the PS2 at the time. The classics are classics, I played them in the Era that they came out. Its rare that I purchase compilations.
Gitaroo Man, Jak and Daxter, Psi-Ops Okami
I just bought Gitaroo man for 30 bucks off of Ebay, Jack and Daxter fall into the mascot platformer Catagory that I pretty much burned myself out on. Psi-ops I haven't looked into so I'll check it out. Okami I have for the Wii.
Psychonauts, Chulip, Amplitude/FreQuency, LifeLine, Rez, Gitaroo Man, Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, and... Burnout Revenge
Psychonots and Beyond Good and Evil Ill just get off of Steam. Im probably going to buy Chulip next for its weirdness. Ill check out lifeLine it sounds pretty wacky and fun. I also burned out on the Xbox version, I used to play it all the time at my buddies place.
Way of the Samurai
Disgaea
GTA San Andreas
Way of the Samurai looks cool, Ill have to check that out. I always Steared clear of Disgaea because it seems to weird JRPG to me, and that has traditonally been not a favorite genre of mine. I have beaten all GTA games including the first 3 before it went 3d.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »

Nothing new to suggest - I own/have played most of these, so in general a resounding hell yes.

EDIT: My Opinions. Let me show you them.

Klonoa 2, though... well, I loved the first one, played it when I was 12 or so, very cute, rather fun. Played #2 a few months ago and... I couldn't pick it up. Devastatingly easy, kind of dull. Borrow it? Still cute though. Maybe I'm just a monster, and it's in fact Quality. But, I'd say lower priority.

This goes for Jak & Daxter too, but less so. Aforementioned 12 Year Old Me finished the latter in.... 8 hours? 100%'d in 10. Not Happy. The sequels, however... hell, I liked them. The plot can get way too Serious Business, though.

Disgaea is a rather deep Strategy RPG, actually. And it's funny! Colour me surprised.

God Hand. Yeah, ignore the reviews. All wrong. If you feel like some slapstick, pretty damned awesome game. A generally excellent (and very occasionally abysmal) soundtrack, totally bizarre scenarios, alot of fun. And the combat's deep! Colour me surprised.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic