Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:51:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralVampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines  (Read 5023 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »

Anybody else played this? I just recently bought it off Steam for $10 (it was half price for Halloween) and so far it's amazing - probably going to go on my top ten favourite games ever. The story, atmosphere, voice acting, and choices are what make it stand out. I think the reason it wasn't a bit hit was because of its glitches, but with the unofficial patch they're almost all gone.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »

I liked the game by itself, but back then when it was released I was really, REALLY hoping they'd do a multiplayer modus similar to the one in Masquerade Redemption. That was simply the best thing about the old Masquerade game.

I never finished Bloodlines due to being a Lasombra and thus being mercilessily slaughtered in a bossfight. But someday I will finish it :D
The ghost mansion made me crap my pants.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:49:40 AM by Don Andy » Logged
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:12:19 AM »

Yeah, I loved Bloodlines. I finished it three times already - with Ventrue, Malcavian and Tremere. Tried a Nosferatu then, but got bored of the constant need of sneaking. Malcavian dialogues and Dementation lines are awesome. Also, walking through the city in pimp clothes, with a huge rainbow-hued tophat, and axe.

It's a very good game, imho. Very moody, fun, with diverse quests and good dialogues/voices. Wait till you see the later city locations - their modern gothic atmosphere would make the Batman feel jealous Wink.
For me it's like the Black Isle/Interplay RPGs of old, but with all the joys of modern games. It resembles the original Fallouts in many ways too. Which is not that surprising as it was made by the makers of Arcanum, which was made by the makers of the original Fallout Wink. It's a bit on the easy side, though.

I've found the stories of its buggyness to be exaggerated. There was one crash bug, but it's fixed in one of the patches and I had no other problems through my many hours of playing.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 01:49:30 AM »

I finished it once as one of those sexappeal/superior talking guys.  :D

Good game.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:56:47 AM »

It's a pretty decent game.  I enjoyed it quite a bit for the first two thirds or so, but then for some reason it started to drag.  I never did finish it.  I have trouble sticking with games all the way through in general though.

And I never could pass the damned (spoiler) Angry.  That shit is hard.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:08:29 AM »

If my older computer can handle it, I'll definitely get the game.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:10:20 AM »

Mmm... I'll have to check this one out. Used to be a big fan of Vampire.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 03:29:20 AM »

I enjoyed the tabletop game, but for some reason I didn't enjoy the PC game. I found the dialogue and cutscenes to be a little weak, actually :< but I had recently played such games as Half-Life 2 and Bioshock, so I was maybe expecting something a little more next-gen :D

I will give it another shot, I have this nagging feeling that I was being way unfair on the game. After all, my housemates enjoyed it too, and they tend not to like that sort of stuff!

olücæbelel
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 06:09:55 AM »

I played it, it was cool except for the random 30 second pauses that drove me to forsake it from my hard drive.
lordmetroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 06:32:23 AM »

Only Vampire the Masquerade I have played has been the original LARP :D
Though I can't say how the video game is, it is an awesome LARP.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 06:37:01 AM »

Oh man, I've heard some messed up stories about vampire larps.

Well, hello there!
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:37:49 AM »

larp?!

I never knew it was a larp. I always though it was just a roleplay game. You know, with dice and stuff

olücæbelel
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:42:22 AM »

It is.
But there is also some sort of a larp version of it
dither
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »

I received this game as a Christmas gift (oh, the irony) a few years ago. It was a bit too much for my computer to handle, but I tried it out for a little while. The open-endedness appealed to me. It's similar to Deus Ex in that respect.

Unfortunately for me, the first-person perspective tends to give me headaches, and I become disoriented while playing these games, so I can never stick with them for too long.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »

larp?!

Yep.  Years ago my roommates were talked into going to one by some friends of theirs and they dragged me along with them.

It was one of the silliest things I've ever experienced.  Imagine all of the goofy larping stereotypes you've ever seen, and multiply it by all the goofy goth stereotypes you've ever seen.  And this coming from someone who at the time was an unabashed goth and wore makeup to go clubbing, etc.

A couple of highlights:
There was a large open room with a bunch of 2x4 boards laid out on the floor.  I walked in with my roommates and stepped over one of the boards.  Some random larper looked at me and said "Oh wow, that must have hurt.  I'll bet you broke your nose or something."  "What?"  "You just walked through a wall."

Later on I went outside for a cigarette, just to get away from everyone.  As turned a corner, some dude who had been hiding behind the corner screamed "CELERITY!" at me and grabbed my by the throat.

Wheee.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »

I thought the game was pretty good, but it always seemed grossly unfinished. Like it was one of those games that was probably originally designed to be a lot more detailed than it turned out to be in the end. All in all, not bad though.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »

Larps will become a new trend once science gets off its lazy ass and finally invents holodecks.
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »

Bloodlines is AWESOME, one of my fav games EVAR

Honestly, so much interesting story, i ate up every crumb.

Why are there not more proper vampire rpgs?  Legacy of Kain was another slice of awesome...

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »

Why are there not more proper vampire rpgs?  Legacy of Kain was another slice of awesome...

The only one I've played is Soul Reaver, and that wasn't very RPGish.  More like a platformer, or a cross between Tomb Raider and a very linear Ocarina of Time.  Were the other ones (aside from the obvious Blood Omen) different or something?

tweet tweet @j_younger
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »

None of 'em were really RPGish, unless you view RPGs as games with massive amount of backstory and (internal) dialogue, which, uh, I guess is a pretty common viewpoint :D

Anyway, I need to play Bloodlinesss; I played both the other Troika games, and enjoyed both. Arcanum was just wonderful, probably the, uh, fourth best western RPG in existence (Fallout 1 and 2 and Planescape obviously higher), besides the HUGE game imbalances, like being able to make rings that give you +2 to dexterity in the first town, which pretty much doubled my amount of action points :D That combined with an electrical sword and a shitload of molotov cocktails made me the most awesome half-orc scientist to eva live.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic