Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:47:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBit 0
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bit 0  (Read 606 times)
Fugsnarf
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »

Bit 0 is a prequel to another game that I made awhile ago (and am remaking) called Bit. Bit is a 1-bit game and was originally called 1-bit Space Adventure. As a bit of a joke, I made Bit 0 in about 30 minutes and called it 0-bit Adventure. Yes, that's right, it is a 0-bit game.

Bit 0 is a fairly unique concept. I've looked pretty hard and haven't discovered that anybody else has made a 0-bit game (maybe somebody could prove me wrong). Being 0-bit, the game can only have 1 color on the screen at all times. The color I chose is black, meaning that the entire game is just a black screen. Obviously, I had to think of a way for the player to play the game without being able to see. Since I can't use text (that would count as another color) I decided to use sound.

The game is extremely basic. If you could see, it would simply be a maze in which you need to reach the goal. Most of the mazes are not complex in the least, but this is because you can't see. Sound is used to navigate the maze. Every action you perform makes a distinct sound. Being a simple game, there are only a few sounds to keep track of: moving over to the next tile, bumping a dense tile, and reaching the goal. Each are pretty distinct and obvious. As a request and a bit of a joke, I added options to disable music and sound effects, haha.

The game is as complete as I'd like to make it without extra help; currently there are 12 levels, each being announced by a voice saying "Level [number]". I didn't think it would catch on at all, but surprisingly enough I've gotten some good responses from the community I developed the game in. Because of that, I thought I would pop in here and get some of your thoughts.

As you can imagine, the game is extremely difficult and annoying. Due to that, I added in the "Cheater" tab just for fun. In there is an option to activate a text mode cheat which will momentarily display the map with text. "P" represents the player, "G" represents the goal, "O" represents a dense wall, and "," represents the floor. There are 12 cheats to use per session. Obviously there are ways to abuse this and cheat even more, but that just takes away from the challenge and spoils it for you Tongue

As I've said, I don't intend to add anything to the game unless somebody else wants to help. So, technically the game is done. If anybody here is interested in adding more levels, I'd be glad to add in more if you'd like to make more voiced level announcements. On top of that, I'm always open to criticism and ideas for new gameplay elements. Just don't take the game too seriously!

tl;dr
The game is 0-bit; you play it with sound. You can cheat with text mode. Have fun.

In the zip folder is Bit 0.dmb and dreamseeker.exe. Open Bit 0.dmb with dreamseeker.exe to play.
Download: http://files.byondhome.com/Fugsnarf/Bit%200.zip

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »

There's been at least two games built around using sound alone to navigate, and one of them centered on a maze.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic