Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411629 Posts in 69392 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 01:12:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSuper Pixel Man+
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Pixel Man+  (Read 1852 times)
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »

Released a game called Super Pixel Man+  
It is an old school, hardcore, arcade, action platformer,        (like all those adjectives?)
when you die you have to start the game over.  It has about 40 levels,
5 bosses, simple, but goof looking pixel art, collectables, secrets,
many gameplay mechanics and one super long level if you can finish the
game with enough of the collectables. It is the sequel to my older game,
Super Pixel Man, which actually won an award from indiegames.com
Please try it and I really hope you like it, I had fun making it.  

UPDATE 1.1
   -Spikes now red to stand out from stairs
   -Added instructions
   -Movement bug fixes
   -Menu bug fixes

DOWNLOAD
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/197623/download
TRAILER

GAMEPLAY

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:43:08 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »

looks pretty cool, and grappling hooks makes it 777 times better.. :D

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »

Ok, I tried it.  I was excited at the prospect of this game, but I ended up disappointed.

Music was really annoying, and there's no way to turn it off.  Everything sounds like it's being played back through a alarm clock radio that's been hit with a hammer.  I assume this is intentional, really not a good idea.

The spikes (which kill you) being the same color as everything else is a really bad visual design decision.  I shouldn't even have to point this out.  It's especially bad when stairs lead up directly to spikes.

When you're going down stairs it counts as falling and you can't jump off them, which limits your ability to move on them for no real reason at all.  Also you can't hold down jump to jump again as soon as you land, so once you fall down the stairs, you have to let go of the jump button to jump again .. which didn't work as you were going down the stairs.

Jumping and hitting ceilings seems really buggy - sometimes you hit the ceiling and your horizontal position changes drastically.  It also causes you to shift around.  Sometimes falling against a wall resets your falling speed.  Also, I'm fairly sure at one point I fell right through one of the platforms as I was going to land on it.

The frame rate seems to be really low and everything moves choppy.  It's harder to judge your movement and the movement of the moving platforms.  No reason the frame rate should be this low.  This is probably the biggest issue aside from the wonky jumping/controls/collision detection.

Hit detection on the first boss is ridiculously strict.  I found that even when I hit him dead on, I'd get hit by his blades anyway.  I don't know how many times you have to jump on him, but I could only get in one before I died on the next jump attempt anyway.  Also it was quite trial-and-error-ish as his blades are the exact same color as he is, giving the impression that his entire body is fatal no matter what you do.  Again, the low frame rate didn't help here.

Overall my first impression was not a good one.  Hopefully you can make some improvements.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »

Ok, I tried it.  I was excited at the prospect of this game, but I ended up disappointed.

Music was really annoying, and there's no way to turn it off.  Everything sounds like it's being played back through a alarm clock radio that's been hit with a hammer.  I assume this is intentional, really not a good idea.

The spikes (which kill you) being the same color as everything else is a really bad visual design decision.  I shouldn't even have to point this out.  It's especially bad when stairs lead up directly to spikes.

When you're going down stairs it counts as falling and you can't jump off them, which limits your ability to move on them for no real reason at all.  Also you can't hold down jump to jump again as soon as you land, so once you fall down the stairs, you have to let go of the jump button to jump again .. which didn't work as you were going down the stairs.

Jumping and hitting ceilings seems really buggy - sometimes you hit the ceiling and your horizontal position changes drastically.  It also causes you to shift around.  Sometimes falling against a wall resets your falling speed.  Also, I'm fairly sure at one point I fell right through one of the platforms as I was going to land on it.

The frame rate seems to be really low and everything moves choppy.  It's harder to judge your movement and the movement of the moving platforms.  No reason the frame rate should be this low.  This is probably the biggest issue aside from the wonky jumping/controls/collision detection.

Hit detection on the first boss is ridiculously strict.  I found that even when I hit him dead on, I'd get hit by his blades anyway.  I don't know how many times you have to jump on him, but I could only get in one before I died on the next jump attempt anyway.  Also it was quite trial-and-error-ish as his blades are the exact same color as he is, giving the impression that his entire body is fatal no matter what you do.  Again, the low frame rate didn't help here.

Overall my first impression was not a good one.  Hopefully you can make some improvements.
       Firstly thanks for the head hitting on ceiling bug, its now fixed. I also made it easier to jump while moving it down stairs.  As for the bad music, people said the music being your enemy is a great idea, sorry it wasn't for you.  About the spikes not standing out enough, the ground all being the same colour is the graphical style, and I've tried, spikes look horrible if you make them a different colour.

About your framerate issue, its probably you computer or something I don't have any framerate problems, and no one else has complained. The game runs at 30FPS.  Thanks for taking the time to write a review longer than my initial post Smiley

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

I literally can't beat that first boss, I did a lets test on it or tried to and I just was at that boss literally 34mins!!! and could only hit it twice before dying, and sometimes I would die even when I hit him in the right spot just due to the very strict timings with no references.

I'll post a mini-lets test to show you what I'm talking about in a second here, I hope to do a FULL play of the game if I can actually find a way past this boss thing.

in short udderdude is basically totally right.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »

I kept falling trough the extremely fast moving platforms in the fourth or fifth screen (the one with two of them and bunch of enemies below) and I gave up so I don't know what comes after that.

Does Game Maker support pixel perfect scaling? If so, please implement it because this scaling mode really ruins the graphics, which otherwise would be pretty decent. I sort of like the direction that you're going with the music but only if you did the same with the sound effects. You know, the distant reverb effect.

Sort out the things that need sorting out and you'll have a pretty sweet little game.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 03:30:53 AM »

As for the bad music, people said the music being your enemy is a great idea

I don't know who told you that, but I'm here telling you it's a bad idea .. :p

About the spikes not standing out enough, the ground all being the same colour is the graphical style, and I've tried, spikes look horrible if you make them a different colour.

Even a different shade of gray would help here.

About your framerate issue, its probably you computer or something.  The game runs at 30FPS.

I wasn't dropping frames, the fact that it's 30 FPS is the problem.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:21:24 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »

Seriously, the music is the only thing I like.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »

As for the bad music, people said the music being your enemy is a great idea

I don't know who told you that, but I'm here telling you it's a bad idea .. :p

About the spikes not standing out enough, the ground all being the same colour is the graphical style, and I've tried, spikes look horrible if you make them a different colour.

Even a different shade of gray would help here.

About your framerate issue, its probably you computer or something.  The game runs at 30FPS.

I wasn't dropping frames, the fact that it's 30 FPS is the problem.  

Thanks for the continuing feedback, um first there was bad music in the original game, which won an award from IndieGames.com, and they really liked the bad music for some reason, and the people in the comments did too.  so I kept it for this one, sorry if it's not really your thing (Personally I don't really like the music either, but before you people all really like the "music is an enemy too" idea)

For the spikes, I actually have got a few complaints, so I'll try and see if they look good red.  Looking back on it, stairs are not really needed, so I probably shouldn't have added them and started the confusion in the first place.  Made the spikes bright red!

For the 30FPS being the problem, do you mean I should make it 60FPS, or lower than 30?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:46:28 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »

For the 30FPS being the problem, do you mean I should make it 60FPS, or lower than 30?

It should be 60 FPS.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 12:32:57 PM »

It should be 60 FPS.

OK ill do 60FPS in a future projects (Not my next one, I already started it with 30FPS),
it will make it a lot smoother, but I don't think I'll be able to change the FPS for this one without making it move too fast or breaking a lot of the jumps, so sorry for that...

Thanks for the continuing feedback, it has helped a lot.

camelCase
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »

No linux version :-(

Linux is like a wigwam- no Gates, no Windows, and apache inside!
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »

No linux version :-(

Sorry don't know how, I would if I could.  Do you know any way to port .exe files into .app files for macs or to whatever type of files Linux uses?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic