Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 02:20:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessTips on timing of release and release press push?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tips on timing of release and release press push?  (Read 1093 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »

I have most things sorted out for how I'm going to release anodyne, but I'm not sure of one point - when to release and when to do a press push about the release? I know the press push should precede the release (to give out free download codes?) but I'm not sure by how much. Eh.

For the demo of anodyne I just put out the demo and then contacted a lot of people, that seemed to have worked okay. Not sure if things are different this time around. ack

play hydlide 2
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:09:00 AM »

You are not big enough to build hype with pre-release press push. You are a small indie, not a AAA studio. Nobody cares about you and people won't remember your game 5 mins after they're done with the article. On the other hand, if you promote a game that was released a week ago, nobody will be bothered by it either.

So just release the game and start the press push. Make sure that people who've read about it can check the website and download the demo right away. Actually, it's often a good idea to do a silent launch first. Release the game but don't promote it outside from your social networks. Let some people get it and see if there aren't any technical or gameplay problems that should be fixed. When you are sure everything's all right, start the press push.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:57:08 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »

You are not big enough to build hype with pre-release press push. You are a small indie, not a AAA studio. Nobody cares about you and people won't remember your game 5 mins after they're done with the article. On the other hand, if you promote a game that was released a week ago, nobody will be bothered by it either.

So just release the game and start the press push. Make sure that people who've read about it can check the website and download the demo right away. Actually, it's often a good idea to do a silent launch first. Release the game but don't promote it outside from your social networks. Let some people get it and see if there aren't any technical or gameplay problems that should be fixed. When you are sure everything's all right, start the press push.

I think that's a bit cynical but still a mostly realistic generalization, yes, a super early press release before the game is a bit absurd.

By social networks you mean IndieDB, Reddit, Twitter, FB?

Do you have a personal example? It's easy to imagine the abstract position of these release events but hard to figure out what will/won't work.

Anyone else have personal examples?

play hydlide 2
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »

I'd recommend timing the press push so it coincides as closely with release as possible.  As per TeeGee's point, though, you don't want press appearing before your game's out; after is better.  So do a press release with a specified release date maybe a day or two ahead of the actual release..?

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »

It's not really cynical. It's perfectly normal that the general public doesn't care about each and every indie (until they get very well known). Lots of games are coming out and human mind can only focus on so many things at once. It doesn't mean you shouldn't do promotion as a small indie. Just that you shouldn't take example from the bigger studios. They are in a different situation.

By social networks I meant just twitter, facebook, and existing fans following your website. But it's really up to you.

Personal experience tells me that silent launch followed by a big press push works best and is the safest. If you want specific examples, here's how I did it with Cinders:

- After leaving my last job, we started a new website for our team and notified my existing press contacts that we're full-time indie now. This was to get some initial traction -- get people to check the website, like our facebook, twitter, etc. Also to notify our former fans that we're doing something new.

- When I announced the game, I contacted the press again. Same reasons as before -- get some more initial traction.

- Went into silent mode for most of the development. Worked on the game and didn't promote it outside of our inner circles of fans. This is important as you are risking losing trust at this point. If you tell the press that your game is almost finished and then it gets delayed (it always does), they may either forget about it or assume it's vaporware.

- Launched pre-orders for the game. Didn't contact the press. Only fans. Press doesn't like when you spam them, especially with deals on games they can't check yet. You don't want to land on their "this guy's a spammer" list.

- When the game was done, we delivered it to the pre-order owners at first. We've let them play it for a week before the official release. If you have enough pre-orders, that's even better than doing a public silent launch. It was a good idea, as we've found out the game still had problems at that point. Pre-order owners knew they are getting it earlier than the rest, so they were very patient and understanding. But if we released it to the public and the press at that point, it could affect their opinion negatively.

- We fixed all the problems. Corrected typos, removed some bugs, tweaked some values. Made sure the press and general public are getting our best. You have only one chance at making the first impression. I learned it the hard way when I released my Magi seven years ago.

- The game was officially released. I waited a day or two before contacting the press. Just to be sure there aren't any new problems that could ruin the experience.

- I first contacted the outlets that I had the best connection with. Either they knew me from my former work or we were on good terms in general. When they published their articles, it gave me some "social proof". Very useful in contacting outlets that you don't have existing relationship with. "Hey look, an indie game" sometimes doesn't work. "Hey look, an indie game that indiegames.com wrote good things about" usually works better.

- First reviews also got us some attention by themselves. For example, I never contacted Kotaku, but they featured the game.

- A month later, I started contacting any outlets that I missed during the first big push. This time, I had a whole bunch of social proof I could rely on, with some good names recommending people to play the game. Worked pretty okay. Most journalists didn't mind it's a month-old title.

I released and promoted 7 games in total during my career, and this is what I came to consider as the most efficient way. Also, from checking website analytics at my former job and during my current indie endeavors, I know that most people who visit the website after reading a review, stay only for a very short time. If they can't find a demo, they mostly leave to never return again.

Let me know if you have any more questions -- I'm always happy to help Smiley.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:13:50 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 04:19:16 PM »

Yeah quick question: How do you handle pre-orders?

play hydlide 2
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »

TeeGee is correct in regards to most indie releases. Even getting a good reddit post would probably get you a lot of impressions but very few customers excited for your game.

Is there something very unique about your game that you could stick in a trailer to build hype?

If you have something different about your game that a group might find interesting enough to follow your game for, then you need to showcase that feature and get it plastered on sites that your target demographic is going to be reading.

Ages ago I read some article on HN where a guy got a good review of a startup he was working on in Wired. What he found was that despite getting huge amounts of traffic from the article, very few of the hits recieved turned into customers because he didnt showcase the best features of his site correctly, so that's an important thing to keep in mind when you're advertising.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 02:13:42 AM »

Yeah quick question: How do you handle pre-orders?

When someone buys one, they receive a preview build of the game. It's a lot like a demo, but exclusive only to pre-order owners. It gives them something tangible, while also letting me gather early feedback. When the game is ready, I just replace the demo with the final build and resend customers their purchase information.

It's all handled through BMT Micro.

Tom Grochowiak
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic