Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 03:54:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationBiocosm [FINISHED (OSX and WIN32)]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Biocosm [FINISHED (OSX and WIN32)]  (Read 42884 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2008, 01:29:04 AM »

Thank you, mewse, I think i'm slowly losing my mind. And with that, im off to bed! Smiley

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
increpare
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2008, 02:46:25 AM »

I don't know whether or not it's running slowly on my computer, but the acceleration is painfully slow. Sad 

Edit: hmm; it does seem to slow down a lot in some places.   It looks good, and sounds good, and moves well, and might play good, but due to the slowdown the gameplay is pretty frustrating Sad
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:41:40 AM by increpare » Logged
increpare
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »

Okay; I just gave it another try; thought I should at least try to finish a leve.  But, erm, I got tightly attached to one of my creatures, and ended up falling from a height, the result being the attached picture, where I could still move, but couldn't pick up the last creature ( who was also, for some reason or other, partially immersed in the ground)  Sad
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2008, 12:49:48 PM »

Ok, win32 version compiled!

Behold the buggy incompletess that is Biocosm!

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2008, 01:03:36 PM »

Ok, win32 version compiled!

Behold the buggy incompletess that is Biocosm!

Looks excellent, my good sir. I don't care if it's buggy, by the way. It's just too pretty for me to care about that.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2008, 01:04:10 PM »

Dammit.

I think this game will be worthwile if you add more stuff (outside the compo of course)

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »

Thank you, reetva!

Yeah, as with my last compo entry, I basically wrote most of the actual game stuff hours before the deadline. I gotta stop doing that Tongue

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2008, 01:33:08 PM »

Well, first of all, the menu didn't show text, only white boxes.

When I got into the game, my truck got thrown into the stratosphere by some random spastic thing. Then I saw one of the creatures.

It had a lot of atmosphere in terms of graphics and sound, but I couldn't really play it. Also ran very slowly. Might be a problem with my graphics card.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2008, 01:35:05 PM »

Which card do you have, Melly?

Zaphos
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »

All I get is a title screen which doesn't seem to respond to input.  After a while it exited.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »

NVidia GeForce 4 MX 4000

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »

Woah. I was trying to grab a medium-sized...thing that was garbled up in some kind of mush with other smaller things and suddenly the whole thing just fritzed out and shot into the sky. There they disappeared and got counted towards my score.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2008, 01:53:09 PM »

Haha yeah, the constraints in the physics engine bug out once in awhile and go completely crazy. Just pretend that didn't happen Tongue

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2008, 02:57:07 PM »

I kept feeling like I wanted to hear the little things walking around screaming. Nice.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »

I dunno what to say - I really liked a lot of things about this game, but it's way too buggy for me to really judge yet. I get the same "white box" thing Melly does (I've got an old laptop integrated ATI card), and the very first thing I did in the game sent my little car flying in the air never to return Sad

I hope you can fix some of the bugs soon! I really want to play this properly Smiley

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »

I found no bugs at all. The PG content is amazing and the creatures are damn spooky!

The game, though, I found quite annoying. Sorry. It's very hard to grab the creatures; I found it much easier to just run over them and go backwards so that they're pushed in the right way. This doesn't always work, though.

You have a fantastic framework there, but right now it's lacking good gameplay. I'm looking forward to seeing any development Grin
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2008, 03:31:24 AM »

Aww MAN! Toastie. Look, the creatures? They're awesome. Eerie and organic and cute and bewildering.I love seeing them in action.

But, ze game, she is broke. Scratch the forklift- it's slow, and finicky, and dull. Replace it with a UFO. With a tractor beam. Or a mutate ray. Or a grabby arm. Something which allows exploration and observation over... gameplay? It doesn't even have to control particularly well, just enough to let one zip over the creatures and get a good look.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2008, 04:27:32 AM »

One of my specimens refused to be beamed up. Sad

I love the atmosphere. When the physics engine works well, the feeling of dragging these tortured, insane creature unwillingly to their doom is amazing. But there's too many times when it feels like the claw didn't have enough friction, nor the wheels enough torque to handle all the creatures.

Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2008, 04:50:27 AM »

This can happen to Smiley

Otherwise it was fun, I liked the physics and how when I tried to pull a big one towards the beam he struggled to get loose. Felt kinda guilty, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Crash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »

I like the idea. It looks sweet, the creatures are cool, but he game seems fundamentally broken. I either end up with a creature that is impossible to grab, or I get flipped over by some creature bugging out. I bet it'd be hard to fix, too. Great concept though  Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic