Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 02:39:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnreal or Unity - which is best for this?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unreal or Unity - which is best for this?  (Read 3340 times)
Bennyboyz
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:38:56 AM »

I'm aiming to make a game where you have to depend on light. Whenever you are in darkness, an enemy strikes you.

Are there any tutorials for this?

And which engine would you recommend I use? Unreal or Unity?

Thanks in advance
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:36:15 PM »

Maybe you should introduce yourself: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0
So it doesn't like you are here just soliciting us for answers Smiley

I haven't used the UDK, but I know it can do what you want. As can Unity. I would tell you to get Unity, because I am familiar with it and I know it can do what you want.

As for tutorials the Unity site has a subsection called Resources full of demo projects and tutorials with photos:
http://unity3d.com/support/resources/

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/fpstutorial

This fps tutorial has a section on A.I. and waypoints.  Which you could easily learn from to make your desired behavior.

It's not as easy as you think, and you're going to have to do a lot of reading (http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/index.html) and some "unfun" things before you come up with results. But if you're dedicated enough, I don't see why you couldn't have a prototype running within a few days.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »

Unreal Engine doesn't have a built in method for you to be able to detect whether players are in light or not; especially if it is dynamic lighting. There are ways around it such as defining volumes and so forth. But as allen has said, getting grips with the basics of the engine is going to be the harder part.

I like turtles.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 04:31:07 AM »

The correct answer will entirely depend on how you'll accomplish lighting in the first place. It's also hard to say "which is best" considering neither of them do what you want intrinsically.

Since it hasn't been done, I'd say it'd be easier to prototype in Unity since in my experience Unity gets you up and running fairly quickly. Unreal does have some pretty advanced lighting system built in already so it might be easier to build on top of that, but that would make it more a hack job than doing it properly from scratch.

Bennyboyz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »

My apologies. I'm Ben  Smiley

I had to decide on which game engine I'm going to choose when I start my 3rd year at university so your replies are a big help.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it Smiley
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:30:46 AM »

Either should work, but UDK has MUCH better lighting in the free version, if you have the computer to run it. Unity doesn't really do proper shadowing without the pro version.

As others have said, your "darkness" code and the graphics will probably be separate anyway. A simple check would be to check for line of sight between the player and all nearby lights, and I see no reason that would be limited to a certain engine. On the other hand, unreal bakes "lightmaps" and you should be able to access them to you can check static lighting for the ground you're standing on.

My main gripe with UDK is that the coding setup process can be quite annoying and changing small things can have unintended consequences, unity is easier to get into in that sense.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic