Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 05:53:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1453454 times)
marcopolo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: June 23, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »

Suggestions?

I don't think these fishes need a water stream system to be fast at all, they already have two excellent long fins. And the resulting frog pose (and poop) in air does not look very charming. These crab-like claws look great, but you could place them at the tip of the head, because they look like small t-rex arms in the center of the body.

Well I like that idea too. Like sharks, they accelerate under water and then just use the momentum to "jet off".
You could also use the "poop mechanic" underwater like jellyfish do with ink, to protect themselves against predators.

I think the problem with the poop propulsion is it doesn't look believable that there could be that much liquid inside the fish, maybe if it had a pouch which deflated as the water was expelled it would look better?

-
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: June 23, 2015, 11:48:12 PM »

Wait did they have infinite supplies of poop for propulsion?
That's something I"m stuck on too. The creatures can only "store" so much water in them at a time.

They should spin their way out of the water (c'mon use those legs!), then use a bit of the water propulsion to redirect at the specific target.
At least, that's how I envision them.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: June 24, 2015, 03:51:31 AM »

I for one like the water pouch idea. Could be refilled when going back in the water too.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4043 on: June 24, 2015, 05:09:03 AM »

I for one like the water pouch idea. Could be refilled when going back in the water too.
I think a water pouch would definitely give them more of an amphibian appearance. Like a frog's vocal sac

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Wolfgang141
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: June 24, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »

Posting here for the first time, but long time fan of your work. Congrats to the both of you!

I think an irregular flow of expulsion should still lead to a fairly regular acceleration, as the inertia of the propelled poopfish would smooth out the variations in speed. Plus I like the grossness of it versus a clean water stream.

use a bit of the water propulsion to redirect at the specific target.
Seems to me like a valid solution to avoid a massive poopfest.

Also, poop cucumbers : https://youtu.be/wOIHzl2h9a8?t=2m40s
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: June 24, 2015, 07:58:17 AM »

I hereby retract writing "poop fish" and want to state for the record that it was meant as a joke, never as a suggestion  Cheesy

Update 443

Am I getting there?  Tired
Rojom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: June 24, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »

I hereby retract writing "poop fish" and want to state for the record that it was meant as a joke, never as a suggestion  Cheesy

Update 443

-snip-

Am I getting there?  Tired

Looks perfect. Dat reflection tho EpilepticHand Thumbs Up Right

The arm placement does look a tad off though. Kinda like zorg's suggestion to push them closer to the head.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: June 24, 2015, 08:47:44 AM »

Cool! Then I'll apply this on the surface splashes as well  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

@Wolfgang141, hi, welcome! Those cucumbers are awesome! I especially like the one where you can see how the seeds are propelled by the water.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: June 24, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »

@Update 443
Is that poop fish playing Splatoon?

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: June 24, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »

My Word! That's gorgeous.

And I apologize for giving you a hard time.
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4050 on: June 24, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »

Definitely getting somewhere, that looks nifty! :3

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: June 24, 2015, 08:53:25 AM »

Not at all sir, I think this is good proof that you guys giving me a hard time yields good results Smiley
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: June 24, 2015, 10:31:15 AM »

Looks pretty solid! How did you do the reflections?

It just came to my mind what would happen if you apply these splashes to different layers. The deeper the layer the darker the splash. Of course only 3 layers not the whole 30. However I don't know how that would interact with the rest of your game architecture because this is happening in the "player layer" I guess. Not saying that it should be implemented. Maybe just tested how it would look like.

Would also be interesting how the whole water engine would look like if it was with this layer style like the solid objects. Water looks totally rad as it is. Just curious. But the whole water thing on 30 layers would kill the cpu? May I ask how the water is done. I mean how does it know where it can go since the rooms are not really 3D. How does it not just leak between two layers? There was a gif of a water pool where the waves also got in the vent holes in the back layers.

TOTALLY AWESOME!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:40:46 AM by adge » Logged
kizmarh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: June 24, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »

The new splashing water looks really nice. I agree that it i strange that the fish have so many water inside itself, I think that when outside of water it should keep a bit amount of water just for some emergency cases, like to release it as a defense or attack mechanism just once, but rather precisely.

And I can see the current continuous streaming of the water to happen only when the fish is on the surface of the water, so it could make fountains, “pumping” the water from under the surface. This also could be like a defense/attack mechanism, like, to make creatures fall into water or to harass the lizards and vultures.

BTW, what do those fishes eat?
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: June 24, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »

I hereby retract writing "poop fish" and want to state for the record that it was meant as a joke, never as a suggestion  Cheesy

Update 443

img

Am I getting there?  Tired
See, this still doesn't make sense. The fish here is flopping wildly on the ground. Away from water, but trying to get back to it.

So after mistakenly landing on the ground, it should stop spraying water, since its pouch is empty. Especially since there's no new water to pump back in itself.

I get the first second of water. But after that, if it needs to get back to the water, it should crawl its way back using those claws or something.

And even then, it could get exhausted and then just lay there, short-breathing/gasping for breath like a (literally) fish out of water.

Probably leeches. And slugcat Tongue

Also, I propose the name Clawfish.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4055 on: June 24, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »

I hereby retract writing "poop fish" and want to state for the record that it was meant as a joke, never as a suggestion  Cheesy

Update 443

img

Am I getting there?  Tired
See, this still doesn't make sense. The fish here is flopping wildly on the ground. Away from water, but trying to get back to it.

So after mistakenly landing on the ground, it should stop spraying water, since its pouch is empty. Especially since there's no new water to pump back in itself.

I get the first second of water. But after that, if it needs to get back to the water, it should crawl its way back using those claws or something.

And even then, it could get exhausted and then just lay there, short-breathing/gasping for breath like a (literally) fish out of water.

Probably leeches. And slugcat Tongue

Also, I propose the name Clawfish.
Maybe it's not actually "water" but some kind of bodily fluid. Like how the horned lizard shoots blood from its eyes

Also, that spraying water made me think of the archer fish

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: June 24, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »

In the actual game the fish needs to take in water to spray out water, I just gave it infinite water for the sake of the gif. Remember that what you see here is generally tailored to show off the technical progress, not to indicate the canon of the game. So assume that the game will not work like what you see in the gifs, but if you're curios feel free to ask!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: June 24, 2015, 01:50:07 PM »

Puh!

Remember in the kickstarter budget breakdown when we said no jet skis? Lies!  Evil
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: June 24, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »

Looking great! The spraying pose is growing on me, and the liquidity of the water discharge helps everything feel a bit more natural. And those impact splashes are perfect. I'm kind of hoping you'll throw in some "play" behaviours like you did with the bats, with shoals of jet prawns all jumping balletically together.

One thing I've been kind of curious about is how you manage to get hold of these sorts of creature-items. They're big enough to be a hassle to you and throw you around, but somehow you manage to wrestle them into obeying your will. Do they have to do something like stun them first and then grab them, or is it just a matter of pressing the "use" button?
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: June 24, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »

poopfish are now peefish

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic