Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:45:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSeren Nova 3D - on-rails space shooter (Win & Linux) !Alpha-Demo!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Seren Nova 3D - on-rails space shooter (Win & Linux) !Alpha-Demo!  (Read 8635 times)
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »

Here's a video of the current state of development with the first level.

I'm playing with a keyboard, so they movement isn't as smooth as it can be.

I think that from this video I can see that I need to refine collision boxes and some of the raycasts.

Click to play:

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »

Today, I’ve added mines to the game.  The mines present another obstacle to avoid in the game.  When you get near them they explode.  However, you can shoot them and destroy them before you get near.

I’ve also added another new enemy to the game, called a skimmer bike, similar to the skimmer tanks created before, these enemies move forwards in front of you, shooting back.  They are lighter and thus easier to destroy than the skimmer tanks and they have a fixed weapon so only shoot backwards (whereas the skimmer tanks has a turret which can shoot in any direction).  These will probably be used in the first level, which is the snow planet level.

http://www.sionco.com/beware-the-mines-and-skimmer-bikes/

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 05:11:12 PM »

Seren Nova looks nice !
And it's cool to see all the improvements that you made since the begining.
It's interesting to see someone becoming better while working on a game.

Did you choose to change the game and to make it a top down shoot them up ?

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2015, 12:10:38 AM »

Thanks,
Yeh, this is as much a learning experience as a game,

I've chosen to continue making Seren Nova, but because it seems that it will become a big project, I'll also make a small shoot em up using all the same assets as it will be a lot easier to do, it means that I can actually get a project finished and it'll keep me motivated, in that when I open the editor I usually end up working on both of them.

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2015, 04:27:27 AM »

After a few weeks off due to health problems, I’m back working on Seren Nova 3D.

Firstly, as mentioned before, this is a learning process into the world of 3D, so I’ve restarted the project with a clean slate, I’ve imported and tidied up code from the existing project.  This also means means that now all my files are more organized.  I’ve also decided to restart all the levels from scratch, using a template and more structured approach.   Currently, I’ve only restarted the first level, which is the snow world level.

I’ve also created a robot, the robot has two laser cannons for arms, which shoot out lasers at a fast rate.

Here is the robot in game (since this screenshot, I’ve adjusted the angle of the lasers so they both eventually merge and therefore the player can take quite a bit of damage:

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2015, 05:10:16 AM »

Today, I’ve created a new ship called a scout drone, these drones are fairly easy to destroy drones, that don’t move and shoot at the player.

These will be the first enemies that the player will encounter in the game.

I also want a lot of destructible objects in the game which aren’t enemies, destroying the will add to the players points score.  So, today I’ve created some houses that will be inside the (spoiler) enemy base in the snow level.

I also added a frozen lake. (probably will try and improve it later)

http://www.sionco.com/drones-and-houses/

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 03:05:31 AM »

Today, I’ve been creating some more enemies, especially enemies that I’ll need in the first level, which is based on a Star Wars Hoth style ice-planet.

First, I’ve created some big ‘lander’ motherships that while they’ll be very difficult to destroy, they have no weapons and will give the player a lot of points. The player reaches them as they slowly begin to take-off, given the player limited time to try and take them down. The player will either need a laser upgrade to be able to hit them enough times to destroy them or a rocket/missile, which are always in limited supplies.

Soldiers

I’ve also created an enemy on the complete opposite scale, some tiny enemy soldiers/troopers:

The soldiers are small and difficult to hit, and also they don’t pose much threat to your ship individually, so shooting them down is optional and more for those who want to go for a big points score in the game.

Speaking of scores…

The eagle-eyed of you will have notices a new bar at the top-middle of the screen, (graphic is temporary), this is a score multiplier timer that starts every time that you destroy an enemy, if you then destroy another before it runs out, the timer resets and your score is multiplied depending on how many seconds remain.  This can lead to some big scores, especially if you do choose to shoot little enemies like the soldiers or enemy structures.

Finally,

I’ve finally added limited rockets to the game, so once you run out of rockets, you have no more, and taking out big ships like the motherships will prove very tricky without them.
http://www.sionco.com/seren-nova-3d-motherships-and-soldiers/

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »

I’ve created a new ship, it will be used for enemy fighters.   These enemy fighters aren’t difficult to destroy, they only need to be hit twice, and they’ll be in the first level. But, these enemy fighters can dish out some damage to the player, as they comes from behind the player shooting downwards.

Here is the enemy fighter in game (minus booster effects, which will be added later):

One part of the first mission will also be to stop some rockets from being launched.

Finally, I’ve added another score for the amount of enemies destroyed, the first level isn’t finished yet, but playing through it (still with the keyboard) I’ve managed to get over 100 kills:

I think that the first level is more or less finished, I just need add some more environment features (more snow hills, etc..), and also to design and add a boss, I’ve been thinking (and playing Star Fox 64) of different bosses for different levels.  Any ideas welcome…

http://www.sionco.com/enemy-fighters/

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2015, 06:52:33 AM »

I don't have a gamepad, but then while playing my Wii and thinking of whether to buy a dear or cheap gamepad for testing, I thought there must be a way to connect the WiiMote to the PC, and it was easy in Linux, so I've now been able to test the analogue stick control for the game, it works well, just needs a little refining at a later date:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2015, 09:02:49 AM »

finally the wii star fox we all deserve!

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »

finally the wii star fox we all deserve!

Thanks, well, if I can get it anywhere near the original Star Fox, I'll be happy.  The good thing, is that it feel fun to play, I've played through the first level a lot of times, testing different things and it feels fun.

Next things to do:

Add triggers to the level that bring up speech from the characters.  As well as the main character, I'm thinking of having an R2-D2 style companion who gives you information and tips.

Here's another loading screen:

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »

A small update today.

Firstly, today has been the 30th day, or more realistically the 30th afternoon that I’ve spent on this game, I’m making this game in my spare time, so some of those afternoons like today have just been an hour or two, while in others, I’ve spent a good few hours until midnight working on the game.   I feel that the game is finally getting there, and even though I still haven’t finished the first level (just need to design some bosses), it does feel fun to play and hasn’t got boring, even though I’ve played through the first level a lot of times testing new additions.

I’ve added some energy crystal collectables, that when you find and collect them restore power to your ship after you’ve taken a few too many hits.  Currently they are blue crystals

I’m trying to put them in difficult to reach places, such as this one under an ice bridge structure, and there’s another one in the first level that you have have to destroy an enemy building to reach it.

As mentioned before, I restarted the project as things were getting a little messy, and I’ve re-added the ability to roll the ship so that it’s flying on one side, this will be important in some levels to get through narrow gaps.

Next on my plan, is to add a system for the game characters to talk to the player during the game.  I currently only have the one character. I’m considering calling her Aderyn (Welsh for bird), Aerona (a Welsh name for carnage or slaughter), Mona or Alwen.  Which do you like best?

http://www.sionco.com/energy-crystal-collectables-and-30-days/

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »

Two updates today!

A Robot Co-Pilot

In the game I want some interaction between characters like in Star Fox.  But, at the beginning of development, I decided to only have one ship and against having fellow ships as it’s a one man project and I need to downscale my idea a little to be able to actually finish the project.  So, to get round this, I’ve decided to have a R2-D2 type robot that flies with you in your ship, and it (he/she, who knows?) will give you advice and generally add a bit of atmosphere and story to the game.

It still hasn’t got a name, I’m thinking Tomi, Maxen or ARTHA (Android for Real-Time Help and Advice ), but here he is:

In-game Conversation System

Finally, I’ve created and finished the in-game conversation system, where different characters can speak to you while you’re battling the evil forces.   A little image of the person who’s speaking appears and what they have to say appears next to it in text format.

I’d really like to get some voices for the characters, especially a female voice for the main character, but unless I can get someone to volunteer, that doesn’t look likely (I’ve already tried unsuccessfully to do a female voice, which was promptly deleted!).

Your robot co-pilot gives advice:

The pilot (your character) tells you what she sees and thinks:

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »

That's snow boss! My Word!

Today, I’ve created the first boss for the snow level (which is also the first level).

I decided to create a flying saucer type snow boss, but with two stages, and it was more of a challenge than I expected, but worth the learning experience.

Here is the finished snow boss (in it’s second stage of attack).

In the first stage of the boss bottle, the boss looks more like a spinning top, and that’s what it does, it spins round and shoots lasers out of the four arm that are in a vertical position above the saucer:

In this first stage you have to shoot all the arms, when an arm has been destroyed it slowly lowers to a horizontal position:

When all the arms have been destroyed, the ship turns on it’s side, and shoots a new type of weapon that I’ve created, that causes more damage than a regular laser:

Hit the bottom of the ship a few times, while avoiding it’s projectiles and the boss will be destroyed:

Also, as shown, I’ve also updated the character speech system, which can now receive text and which character is speaking from any object in the game, so the characters speak at the correct time at each stage of the boss stage.

I think this means that the first level is more or less finished, it could do with a few more environmental objects, but I’m happy with it.

I’ll have to upload a video or demo soon, even though SFX, such as explosions haven’t been added to the game.

http://www.sionco.com/the-first-boss-the-snow-boss/

Follow me on Twitter

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 03:29:35 AM »

I approve of this devlog.

It's a great chance to see someone start and improving development skills.
And the game looks and seems great.

Yeah.
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »

I approve of this devlog.

It's a great chance to see someone start and improving development skills.
And the game looks and seems great.

Thanks very much that's nice of you too say. 
And yes, this devlog has been a great motivation for the development of my first game in 3D. And I suggest, that anyone else trying something new in game development should start one.

I've got some more challenges awaiting me, such as improving the environment and landscape and the GUI and a good level menu and system, as well as cut-scenes.  I wish I could work full time on it! Hand Money Left Hand Money Left

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »

I've improved the first boss.

I've added a top saucer section to the boss, that collapses and is destroyed once you destroy the 4 arms/supports.

Also, (not shown in the GIF animation) the boss now moves from side to side.

Here's a gif of the boss (I've set the  gif to run faster than the game)

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2015, 06:00:16 AM »

I’ve had a break for summer, but now, I’m back working on Seren Nova 3D.
Firstly, I’ve added a basic mission over screen, I hope to make it look a bit prettier and have some basic conversations between the characters.

Also, I’ve added snow particles to the snow level, which fly towards the player.  It’s hard to see their effect from the screenshots, but they give the player more of an idea of speed and flying through a gentle snow storm.  The Godot engine has quite a good and easy to use particle system, which meant that setting it up was trivial, and the hardest part was drawing the snow flakes.

I’ve also changed the circular lasers, to release three at the same time, this gives them a bit of depth.

http://www.sionco.com/mission-over-screen/

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »

Could you please add a boulder or two on the ground during the boss fight?
Like it is on the gif, it looks like the ship is still.

If such has been done already, call me dumb.

Yeah.
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2015, 08:18:13 AM »

Could you please add a boulder or two on the ground during the boss fight?
Like it is on the gif, it looks like the ship is still.

If such has been done already, call me dumb.

That's a good idea, I'll definitely add some ground objects! The environments are one area that I could improve upon

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic