Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 06:16:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLast Days of the Universe - Download Available!!! - Sci-Fi Visual Novel
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Last Days of the Universe - Download Available!!! - Sci-Fi Visual Novel  (Read 11882 times)
AdultSciFi
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »

Progress

I am working on the story and the first major choice. I alternate between writing and rendering. Progress is going well. I just can't wait to get the first WIP release out to get feedback!

Hard Choices

When I first thought about the game I would be making I decided that I would try to add as many hard (or difficult) choices as I could. The player is a leader so there's a good opportunity to have important choices that will impact not only the player but entire populations.

I am currently working on a choice with four options. None of the options are clear cut "good" or "bad". They can all spell disaster in the story. They all seem to be valid choices and they are. Each choice will direct the story for a while. I want the player to hesitate and think about what choice to make. I think that this will increase the replayability of the game and will make it more interesting. It will take more work from me but I prefer to do a game that will possibly be more memorable to the player. After all the player character is a leader and sometimes a leader has to make impossible choices.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 02:01:10 PM »

i can't wait for ass effect

AdultSciFi
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 05:25:52 AM »

Hahaha  Cheesy In a few weeks I hope. I prefer to take time to give a good impression of what the game will offer than to release it too fast.
AdultSciFi
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 08:45:12 AM »

Rendering on the GPU

In the last few days I have been optimizing the textures of some of the models and characters. I have to do this because I render on the GPU and it only has 4GB of memory. I could render on the CPUs but it would take hours instead of about half an hour for rendering. The textures don't seem to be compressed when they are put in the graphic card's memory so they become very large very fast. So I make some textures smaller and use them for the characters that are farther away. When I have more than two characters in a scene I have to render them in different passes. For example, in this image, I rendered 2 images. One with the characters at the extremes and an other with the characters in the middle. I then combine the 2 images in a single one.

The next scene will have about half a dozen of characters so I will have to be creative and probably make a few more renders.
Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »

I have decided to make the change to Jpegs this morning.
Why jpeg and not a png? Jpeg quality overall mediocre =/

AdultSciFi
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 03:50:40 AM »

I have decided to make the change to Jpegs this morning.
Why jpeg and not a png? Jpeg quality overall mediocre =/

I am not sure why you would say that Jpeg quality is overall mediocre. Maybe for retro style graphics with large pixels but for images that look like photos there's about no difference at low compression. I have alternated images between PNG (original source images) and Jpeg (compressed at about 25%) and see about no difference. I would not see a difference without alternating between the images. A regular person will definitively not see the difference and the Jpeg images take about 1/10 of the size of the PNG. So if my game is 100MB in size it would be about 1GB in size with PNGs for essentially no visual difference. In my opinion it's not worth it for the people who will be downloading the game. Some people have limited bandwidth. If the images were 10 times better looking with PNG it would be worth it but they're about the same.
AdultSciFi
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 10:13:08 AM »

Progress
Things are moving along. I am starting to get a better workflow. Since this is the first time I work on a visual novel and the first time I work in Unity I wasn't sure on how to organize files and things. Now I'm more organized and it's easier to work.

Here's another teaser render, the player character in her standard uniform entering the main control room (or bridge):

AdultSciFi
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 05:19:07 AM »

First Blood

I have made some blood tests using fluids in Blender. It doesn't look real but I like the "300" style look.

AdultSciFi
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 09:22:21 AM »

I have made some experiments with lots of water in Blender and I really like the dynamistisizm(?) that it adds to the visuals. It will not look fully realistic but it should be good looking. I was wondering what I would do in a certain story line and water solved my problem   Smiley
AdultSciFi
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »

It's finally here! You can download the first WIP version from the website at http://AdultSciFi.net! Let me know what you think. I appreciate feedback, suggestions and general comments. Coffee
AdultSciFi
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 04:45:29 AM »

I have had a report that the Linux version may not work well. I have installed Linux in a virtual machine but had problems using it so I am not able to test the Linux version. I will try again to install Linux but if I still have problems I may have to remove the Linux version of the game.
AdultSciFi
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »

I have installed Linux Mint in a virtual machine and the game works. So I will make the Linux version available for now. If I get too many reports of problems I will remove it.
AdultSciFi
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »

Now I have a report that someone can't start the Mac OS X version of the game. Has anyone tested this version who could let me know if it works?
AdultSciFi
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 12:09:02 PM »

I have received some very good feedback. I will have to rewrite some parts. I am currently adding the option that went nowhere. I hope to have it finished by the end of the month. Then I will make Load and Save options  Smiley
AdultSciFi
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 04:55:43 AM »

The GameJolt page of the game has almost reached 10,000 views but I have still few supporters so I have decided to remove the adults only content from the game in the hopes that it will attract more Patreon supporters.
AdultSciFi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »

Hello, it's been a while. After launching the game and getting about 15000 views I only got 2 Patreon supporters so I was really dissapointed and decided to cancel the game. But after a vacation and some thoughts, I decided to give the game a second chance. The game will now return to it's root with the sex scenes. I hope that I will get more Patreon supporters this time.

The downloads have been updated with minor modifications including a resolved memory leak problem.
AdultSciFi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »

Progress

I have started work on the possibility to play a male player character. The female side of the story is taking too long before encountering male characters for some players so this will allow them to play a male character in the next release. The female and male player characters will sometimes meet (in their own stories) but most of the stories will be different. The next update will be available near the end of this month.
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »

Hey!

I started playing through a bit of the demo (these renders are GORGEOUS by the way).

The art is nice and the writing is fairly decent. Personally, the lack of sound effects and music hinders the experience. Do you have any plans for cataloging free to use sound effects or pre-made music tracks to enhance that area of the game? It would really add personality.

AdultSciFi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 05:25:26 AM »

Thanks! You are playing the whole work in progress game, there is no demo as such. Starting from the next release some images will only be visible as Patreon rewards but the full game will still be playable.

I am not sure yet what I will do for the sounds and music. I will finish the female episode 1 and male prologue before thinking more about it. Then I will look at the available libraries (both free and paying) and make a decision. I will probably get low cost sounds and music for starters but may eventually replace them with originals if the support for the game goes well.

Thanks!
AdultSciFi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 06:35:35 AM »

New release available! It is now possible to start playing as the male player character. The lenght of this part will vary greatly depending on your choices. Download at adultscifi-net.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic