Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 03:35:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 47382 times)
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 04:34:59 PM »

I still don't know if this is a good idea. This generation, I don't see Nintendo 'winning' at all. I really hope this thing supports Classic Controllers, playing Tekken or Smash with that thing must be awful.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »

Nintendo already win, just not in the hardcore department they try to win back

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »

Do you think Wii Fit moms will be buying this? I seriously doubt this could ever achieve Wii 1 numbers.

Also, pet peeves of mine: the console is awful looking, Wii 1 is so much better looking. Same with the control, not good looking at all. And while I love white consoles and went all white with my DS Lite, PS3 and Wii, I want my Wii U to be anything but white. 3DS blue would be nice.

It's getting Tekken! I need to be positive. Ugh.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »

Irony time: remember the "nintendo on" fake? Now it's a m$ console down to the create/play dichotomy and sony steal the "on" logo

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5809744/nintendo-used-360-ps3--pc-game-footage-in-its-wii-u-demo-reel

reggie interview

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

Cloud gaming service OnLive is going portable later this year, when the OnLive Player App brings PC gameplay to your iPad and Android tablet PCs.

You can already download an iPad app that lets you watch other players enjoying the OnLive streaming service; now you'll be able to join in. The OnLive Player App will give iPad and Android tablet users with the appropriate amount of bandwidth the ability to stream the entire OnLive game library directly to their tablets, playing via either touchscreen controls or with the new Universal Wireless Controller.

On top of streaming games, the OnLive app will also allow your table PC to act as a touch or motion-based game controller for your HDTV. The app will support both synchronized and independent video between your tablet and your television, sort of like what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U. And if you prefer a smaller screen, the app also works on the iPhone and Android smart phones. It even supports full voice chat-enabled multiplayer.

Now how much would you pay? But wait, there's more!

OnLive also plans to roll out a 10 gigabit cloud-based full-featured browser for tablets and smart phones, allowing web surfers to access things many phones won't process alone, like Flash video. It is the dawning of a new age, or something!

"The power of the cloud is definitely the theme this week, displacing what had been assumed to be platforms that could never be displaced," said Steve Perlman, Founder and CEO of OnLive. "The OnLive Player App for iPad and Android shows how with the power of the cloud, the question is not whether cloud gaming will be able to catch up to consoles, it will be whether consoles will be able to catch up to cloud gaming"

If you've got the bandwidth, they've got some pretty unique gaming experiences coming later this year.

Fugsnarf
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »

My only issue with the Wii U controller is that the analog sticks are above the buttons. Seriously, that just looks stupid and goes against how it's been for years and years and what's comfortable (especially for hard-core gamers, what they are trying to attract more of).

My personal opinion on the Wii U is that it will actually live up to the hype. I don't, however, believe it will attract the hard-core gaming population like they want it to. If it does, Nintendo just gets another thumps-up in my book.

Nintendo's always innovating, and it's why I love them. The Wii looked completely idiotic, but turned out to be pretty cool. I think the Wii U will also turn out to be pretty cool in the end, but also keep its appeal through good, new games.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 08:15:03 PM »

I feel so shallow because my biggest issues are the name, the color and the 'ugly Xbox clone' look of the console.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »

Well, if Sony can retcon their PS3 bananamarang controller from one E3 to the next, Nintendo shouldn't have any problems listening to feedback at E3 and making changes to their controller, either.  Though I can't remember any Nintendo hardware actually changing much between E3 revelation and actual release.  Undecided

And I'd also have to agree that the name and design were a bit of a letdown.  Even "Wii Too"  sounds have been better.  I keep unintentionally reading this name as "weeoo."

PowRTocH
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »

The DS changed a lot before its release, I don't know if you remember the huge crate with light grey buttons, but I do.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »

And I'd also have to agree that the name and design were a bit of a letdown.  Even "Wii Too"  sounds have been better.  I keep unintentionally reading this name as "weeoo."

I sound it out exactly the same as the phrase "P.U.", which... isn't too good for Nintendo.

The DS changed a lot before its release, I don't know if you remember the huge crate with light grey buttons, but I do.

...That was released, no?

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »

I was able to find it by searching "prototype ds" :

Now I remember it.

I guess if you count useless peripherals, the Wii Zapper attachment also changed.  Unfortunately, for the worse.

HDSanctum
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:10 AM »

The Wii U looks exciting if they can pull-off the stuff they put in the trailer. I wonder how smooth it will really be and how much is just smoke puffing for hype.

Imagine the price on the controllers though!
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »

If there was any one potentially limiting factor for the WiiU, (other than eventual price) this is it. Expensive controllers don't prevent me from buying consoles, but they certainly prevent me from utilizing them for multi-player early on. This was actually why Wii Sports was so ingenious. Most of the games you could play for that were turn-based, and could effectively be played by a group with a single Wiimote.

That screen controller looks quite expensive, and I can't imagine it going for any less than $70. Most controllers that have no screen at all go for $50+ these days. Even the Wiimote still goes for $40. (with an additional $20 for the Nunchuck)

If I do pick up a WiiU at launch, I am not going to buy multiple tablet controllers.
Apparently you wouldn't be able to even if you wanted to:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306087/news/wii-u-console-and-controller-wont-be-sold-separately/

If it's designed only to support one of those controllers, it might not be able to support more at all.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »

Granted, I think that might not have been a bad decision on Nintendo's part. Limiting the design to one touch-controller (tablet controller?) gets around the dilemma of buying expensive controllers in order to play multiplayer. Since most people already have a couple of wii-remotes, it means instant multiplayer without buying extra hardware outside the core system.

The downside is that multiplayer games will lose out on each player having a private tablet. It means creating a lot of multiplayer games with unequal character design. Probably there will be a lot of Four Against One games like the Pacman vs. game that hit the gamecube years back. That might not be a bad thing.

I wonder what the battery life on that controller will be? I hope Nintendo takes a page from Playstation 3's book and makes the controllers recharge when plugged into the main console. The worst part of the Wii is having to own rechargable batteries and recharge them separately.
Uykered
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 05:08:46 AM »

lol @ where nintendo got name from

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 06:06:37 AM »

Only one screen is a big fail in my book ... no FFCC or four sword :/

Also it's a gimmick apple and onlive support, no real differentiation aside from the game as usual, it's not likother company cannot steal their concept, it look like an excuse to upgrade the console without having to look like a loser.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 06:25:12 AM »

aaaaaa what the fuck
only one tabletcontroller per system? fucking morons!! do you realize that the biggest fucking interest of a tablet and one big screen is to have something that one player knows but not all of them! Sort of like split screen only where each person has their own screen!
this would allow a cool "deck-of-cards" approach for multiplayer games. Information control!! It's basically online gaming in the same room!

If this thing has development as easy as XBOX and you can connect 8+ of those padcontrollers then nintendo I will buy you very fast!! (I'm allowed to dream >:I )
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 06:29:31 AM »

tablet is really all the rage at E3

HDSanctum
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 08:00:12 AM »

Shocking to hear that they seemingly won't allow multiple new controllers at once! I wonder if NGP + PS4 will be able to swoop in on this gimmick and edge Wii U out?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic