Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:01:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioNewbie to composing. Question about chiptunes and software.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Newbie to composing. Question about chiptunes and software.  (Read 2410 times)
tehbes2
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »

Hi, I'm looking to create music for a game in chiptune style. I'm also considering making money off of this game (eventually). Now I know I'd be better off in terms of money hiring someone to do this for me, but I like having a lot of creative control. Only problem is I have very little experience, and am not sure where to start. I'd very much prefer to not have to rely on hardware, and would rather use something like LMMS or FL studio.

So my question is, what programs are best capable of composing chiptunes and are available for commercial use? Any free?

Thanks.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »

Really any DAW is capable of composing 'chiptunes' as they are most often composed of the simplest wave forms. It is up to you, would you prefer a tracker or a sequencer? do you want a basic program or one with built in effects (such as filters, eq, delay etc.)?

The DAW is a tool for you to use to compose with, if you don't know how to compose already or have a decent idea at least, using the programs will be of little use; sure you can screw around in the programs and maybe even come up with something half decent but really you need to learn basic theory and if possible learning some piano would help you immensly.

Now if you already have a good idea on how to compose or play an instrument like the piano and can come up with some decent tunes here are some programs I have come across in my endeavours:

Trackers(there are a lot out there so I will only mention some I have some experience with):

MilkyTracker - Free. Very basic tracker in terms of effects* and interface, but decently powerful and has all the features you really would need for chip tune tracking. Focuses on creating your own samples and you could say on chiptune music but I believe you can import other samples also. Also has a decent user base and a few tutorials and examples on the net.

Renoise - Not free (website down at time of this post so I am unaware of exactly how much it costs, but it is somewhat negligible). Feature rich DAW with VST support and effects, can be used for chiptunes but also much more. I really like this program but I am prefer to use the free options myself. Big(ish) community. Nice interface and controls.

SunVox - Free. I recently discovered this and I am loving it. Features its own built in effects and synthesizer, no VST support though. Nice modular approach to the interface and the effects and synth's allows for a lot of possibilities, also has a piano roll and is able to stack patterns which are nice features that work well with the tracker interface. Not a very big userbase though the developer has an active Youtube channel and there are some resources out there(look for SolarLune on these forums and there should be some tutorials that he created linked in his signature).

Sequencer:

Fl Studio - You obviously know of and perhaps have used FL studio. I have played around in it from back when it was called frooty loops, and it is a great program for beginners. Feature rich with many built in effects, easy to use and learn interface(although it is ugly in my opinion). Probably the most beginner friendly and has a massive community with a lot of resources out there for it. Certainly capable of making chiptunes but is more slanted to creating trance(and other likewise electronic music). The main downfall is the price for myself.

Reaper - Very capable program easily on par with the big DAW's and for a fraction of the cost. Fully featured program with built in effects. Great for recording with and for producing all kinds of music, but slanted very much towards more professional music composition, though still very capable of doing chiptunes. Great interface.. once you learn it, probably not the most beginner friendly program but once you get better and if you want to branch out to more with music, keep this in mind.

Don't let this be a discouragement to yourself in any way, that is not my purpose, but what I recommend is (if you haven't already) gaining some music knowledge (Chords, scales, intervals etc) while you learn any of these programs, it will help you a heap and you will have an understanding of how music works. Learning to play and compose music takes a long time and there is a lot to learn, I myself am also learning every day and have much to learn but I recommend you give it a go as it is highly rewarding and enjoyable(although there are the odd frustrations).

*effects in the sense of compressor, delay, reverb, eq etc

Also this is entirely based off of my opinion and experience, every point may not be 100% accurate. Smiley

bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:01:58 AM »

Do you have any prior experience with playing or composing music? Or are you starting from absolute zero?

Personally I'm using Reaper a lot (pretty much exclusively since a year back) so I'm heavily biased towards it. Smiley As Halcyon says though it might not be the easiest to start with. You'd probably not want to spend money on this (yet at least) so I would recommend either Reaper or MilkyTracker (I haven't used SunVox). Both of them will also allow you to play using your standard keyboard so you don't need to buy any midi hardware to play, which is great for coming up with melodies (compared to clicking out notes).

If you decide on Reaper, please feel free to msg me if you have any questions. They also have  a great forum with lots of active people.  Beer!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic