Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 02:04:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIGF 2010 nominations
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26
Print
Author Topic: IGF 2010 nominations  (Read 98471 times)
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #440 on: January 13, 2010, 12:15:29 AM »

Kinda super disillusioned with everything right now.

After reading that I wish I took the blue pill, but it's too late now

WHAT ELSE HAVEN'T THEY TOLD ME?
AndySchatz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: January 13, 2010, 12:16:50 AM »

...Kinda super disillusioned with everything right now.
Rad.  Dont forget that Crayon Physics was just a clone of when I used to draw.  With Crayons.

Pocketwatch Games - Monaco, Venture Arctic, Venture Africa
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #442 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »

i also now have a deep hatred for tommy and super meat boy

I only hope the judges for the awards are right and don't pick them for any, and make me beat them out for audio, otherwise I'd have to go on the internet and complain about it
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 13, 2010, 12:26:29 AM »

welcome to the ground floor of the pigscene forums, a world where irony is law.

p.s. brandonnn dunno what you're saying besides saying this is how it's always been, which is a point people've expressed many-a-time in this thread. cause lemme tell ya brother, i didn't vote, but if i had, i woulda voted for obama. i would've voted for change. just because a bad system's been around for a thousand years doesn't mean it's gotta go on for a thousand more.

funny, coming from you, mr. podunkian. i heard you still use multimedia fusion 2.

...k... kuso.

p.s. thanks for the derail, bro

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 13, 2010, 12:29:14 AM »

hey super meat babies, let's bring the conversation away from your hurt egos and back towards Re: IGF 2010 nominations

You're so getting pantsed at GDC
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: January 13, 2010, 01:02:30 AM »

Podunk~
If you like innovation so much, why don't you marry it?

No seriously though, what's so great about it?

mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 13, 2010, 01:24:55 AM »

Podunk~

i spent the last three months creating what amounts to the world's most elaborate fan fiction. i am also making a game that borrows heavily from other games. innovation isn't something i care much about.

it does bother me, however, that the IGF's one sentence summary amounts to "rewarding innovation in games", when from my perspective, that's not at all what they're doing anymore. that, in a nutshell, sums up my relation to innovation with respect to this discussion, and even that was just more a point in illustrating what i perceived to be the many failures of the IGF.

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 13, 2010, 02:11:57 AM »

Podunk~

i spent the last three months creating what amounts to the world's most elaborate fan fiction. i am also making a game that borrows heavily from other games. innovation isn't something i care much about.

it does bother me, however, that the IGF's one sentence summary amounts to "rewarding innovation in games", when from my perspective, that's not at all what they're doing anymore. that, in a nutshell, sums up my relation to innovation with respect to this discussion, and even that was just more a point in illustrating what i perceived to be the many failures of the IGF.

Translation: "I felt like bitching"
PlayMeTape
« Reply #448 on: January 13, 2010, 02:18:16 AM »

So you're saying that the only thing you take issue with is a brief description of what the competetion awards? If the IGF site didn't have that written at the top you woildn't be making such a fuss? Because it feels like you wanted the the competetion to change, which I can respect, but these kinds of semantics I can not.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 13, 2010, 03:06:48 AM »

So you're saying that the only thing you take issue with is a brief description of what the competetion awards? If the IGF site didn't have that written at the top you woildn't be making such a fuss? Because it feels like you wanted the the competetion to change, which I can respect, but these kinds of semantics I can not.

reread the last sentence of what i wrote -- this discussion over semantics is just one of the things about the IGF that i was dissatisfied with, and it's something i'm sure others are dissatisfied with as well.

i think i might've misstated what i meant by 'innovation isn't something i care about' -- i meant that it's something i don't care about much in my own works (with the implication, of course, that i haven't entered my games into IGF, as i don't feel they do not innovate much). i very much believe innovation should be part of the IGF, and it's personally kind of baffling that people are more behind the idea of simply removing the tagline than they are revising the festival.

Krystman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: January 13, 2010, 03:25:56 AM »

I think since IGF actually awards quite a lot of money

Meh. The grand prize (20 000$) is just ok but the 2500$ for the other categories is honestly quite low. If somebody (like me) comes from overseas, it doesn't even cover the travel costs. And that just if they win so they can't even count on it. So for most people, the entire IGF is something you invest money in, rather than get money out of.

And even the 20 000$ for the grand prize. In Cologne we have a local design price I was speaking of. It's super small and given annually to the best student final thesis from like 3 small, local universities. They have 30 000$ as a main prize. Their total sum of all prizes is exceeds that of IGF.

Quite honestly, the entire finance structure of GDC eludes me. The prices seem to be ridiculous. Either I miss something substantial, they do something super-inefficient or somebody makes a ton of money with it.

But I'm not complaining, the real advantages you get from IGF are of an entirely different nature and they are profound. But you get them already from being nominated. That's why I think figuring out ways on how to increase the number of nominations might be a good idea.
Krystman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:11 AM »

It certainly isn't a platform game, but is TRAUMA really "new"? It seems similar to a lot of other ideas and styles of games.

I think quite a few authors from different media already agreed that you never can create anything new from scratch. Even if you close yourself off from all input, something slips through the cracks. And even if you think you didn't, the audience will always find something they can compeare it to. They have to. That's how we make sense of our world.

That being said, there are quite often games that repeat an established formula for the sake of repeating it. They don't add treat what came before critically, they don't open up new possibilities. They don't make any statements. I think it would be a mistake for the IGF to honor such entires. But I doubt IGF 2010 does.
Krystman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: January 13, 2010, 04:19:50 AM »

Looked for the truly innovative stuff like "Cloud" and "Narbacular Drop", turns out it only won bullshit "student" awards.

Oh you mean "Katamari Damashii in the air" and "Quake without shooting but with more Teleporters"?

It seems like there is no such thing as innovation when you start looking at games only by comparing them to previous titles. How strange.  Roll Eyes
Krystman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: January 13, 2010, 04:27:51 AM »

So I guess to speak directly to Simon/Matthew/all the organizers: what the IGF needs more than anything else right now is clarity.

It may be that IGF could use a more defined mission statement to establish an unmistakable identity.

But on the other hand, I think you may be asking for something impossible. Nobody can tell you what you have to do in order to be successful. If they did there would neither be winners nor would there be any progress.
Alexander Bruce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: January 13, 2010, 04:52:29 AM »

Yeah. I don't think changing their mission statement will help anything either. I mean, what happens if you change your mission statement to suit the kinds of entries you normally get, but then you get something exceptional that doesn't fit that statement either? It all begins again, but instead of discussing "innovation", you're discussing something else.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: January 13, 2010, 05:49:10 AM »

I still think the tagline should go. Judges are obviously not looking for innovation, they're looking for games THAT THEY ENJOY, which makes full sense.

Tagline starts reflecting that, IGF starts to look a lot less broken.

Also lol podunk bro man you are a fuss <3
Movius
« Reply #456 on: January 13, 2010, 07:15:52 AM »

Remember back in the dark old days of 2007 when everyone was fapping to Jon Mak posters and there was a general theme of "man why are they going on about innovation, I'm so sick of hearing that word. Fuck innovation!"
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 13, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »

Remember back in the dark old days of 2007 when everyone was fapping to Jon Mak posters and there was a general theme of "man why are they going on about innovation, I'm so sick of hearing that word. Fuck innovation!"

Yeah and you were all like "Innovation is rather shit."
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: January 13, 2010, 08:41:46 AM »

I think the next big trend should be immolation.

jonschubbe
Level 0

My observations become something you can observe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: January 13, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »

It seems like the IGF is bridging the gap between indie and mainstream games, getting mainstream developers more excited about what the indies are doing. And over time, I believe that more and more people will be comfortable with more innovation and different styles of games. And that's a good thing. Even if there's only a little innovation at a time, everything takes time to develop.

Like I said before, all games are based off of previous games in some way, whether it be the keyboard controls or playing it on your computer screen or the way the game is played within those capabilities. If you really wanna nit-pick, you may as well change it to 'independently created computer screen video games' cus what if someone creates a board game or other equipment that goes along with the computer that can't be judged by all those people?

jonschubbe.com
closuregame.com
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic