Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411540 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 03, 2024, 01:09:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJealous Rectangle - 'Thomas was alone' meets 'Super Meat Boy'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jealous Rectangle - 'Thomas was alone' meets 'Super Meat Boy'  (Read 2277 times)
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:22:08 AM »

Jealous Rectangle (might stick with this name).

A 'Thomas was alone' inspired game about a rectangle and jealousy. Race to your lover on the other side of many obstacles and try not to be caught by the green ey'd monster chasing you.

Game plays similarly to Super Meat Boy and is endless runner in terms of pace.

Would love any feedback if there is any to be had.

You can follow progress in this thread or on Twitter @Slooowpoke

You can download the latest version from our itch.io page here.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:07:41 AM by Maliii » Logged
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:27:44 AM »

Still just an idea really. Struggling to think of how to make the clouds do what I want, probably going to end up making a particle system or something.

Heres a video of dying and camera movement:

Unsure how I'm going to do a lot of what I want, level-based running game. Not endless. Just quick levels that require fast thinking.
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:40:17 AM »

I like the minimalism... why don't you brainstorm a story first?
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:50:47 AM »

Thanks, I suck at art. I was thinking I could add the story after I have the core mechanics. Not sure what peoples view on that is.  Undecided
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 12:43:12 AM »

Not sure how frequently I can post in my own thread, or what the rules are on double posts. I just finished coding how I think I want the green cloud to behave.

Let me know what you think.

I've also setup an indieDB page to keep hold of everything.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/jealous-rectangle
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:54:47 AM »

I always forget about these forums Sad

Video of the lover/goal.

Finished a rough level editor for myself.
Here's an image of the level in game.

Rough version of the level complete screen.

Looking for an SFX artist and feedback on everything so far. I want to get a version out super soon, just been kinda busy.
Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 04:20:20 AM »

Where's the gameplay?
What's the gameplay?
What's the point?
Level complete? But where's the level?
Why is every such game responded with "oh cool minimalism". Less isn't always good.
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »

You're right, I haven't explained enough about the game. I do this in real life too, I say something thinking everyone knows whats in my head as pre-text. Ugh.

The game is an adventure platformer, heavily inspired by Thomas was alone in terms of art direction. You jump across platformers using momentum that is built up to reach your lover, after the first few levels a green cloud is introduced which forces players to move faster through the level (which is pretty hard). There will be little extras that you can grab along the way if you are quick, which improve your score at the end.

I only just started the level editor yesterday, so I haven't really had a chance to make the levels yet. I'll probably end up adding more mechanics to it as I go. Story will be shown in the form of icons/images rather than any dialogue.

I threw in some SFX today here.

Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »

Early version done! Would love any feedback that I can get.

http://slowpoke.itch.io/jealous-rectangle
SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »

It's visually looking pretty nice, simple, but everything is clear enough that it works. My main concern is that the movements seem really slippery, which I know is meant to be because of your momentum, but I think something is lost in translation here mostly because you are using a plain rectangle. Without visual reference that the character is actually slowing down it just makes it feel like you're running around an ice rink.
Maybe something like a small particle effect or dust cloud when he is coming to a stop would help fix it.

Another thing is that at the moment you can finish the game having spent more time in the "Level Complete" screen than actually playing the game, I'm sure this will be fixed when you add more to the levels but it seemed a little drawn out having your character jumping with his love then fading out to the complete screen then back in again.
Not a big deal though, it's probably only something that's going to be noticable in these early phases.

Overall it's nice, I like the colour choices, easy to look at and easy to play. Good work.
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »

Thanks a ton! I've increased deceleration, so the momentum thing is still there for starting movement but control is much tighter now. I think I'll add some particles like you said as well, just for good measure.

The new version will also have a faster level transition, its mostly a problem because there aren't many levels yet like you said, but still I've reduced the time it takes anyway.

Thanks for the feedback! New version next week I think with more levels.  Smiley
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »

Preview of the 'monster'.
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »

New version done! Feedback greatly appreciated on the movement, monster and some of the levels. Borders are ugly at the moment.

You can view the change-log and download the game here.
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 12:33:31 PM »

Internet was down the past week, so I missed my Friday goal. I don't want to offset everything so the next release will be this Friday with a level editor (which needs lots of work and will need feedback on).

I recently finished up the level select screen, which loads six levels per chapter (created dynamically depending on how many levels in the folder). To add a level to the game, you just add your .txt file and a .png file for the thumbnail.

Also added new level borders and a screenshake if you get too close to the green monster, not sure about the screenshake.

(basically a revamped .gif of the earlier one)

Level editor is messy, but you'll see it Friday anyway. It saves over the last .txt file in the level directory but this will all be in some form of documentation.

Working on saving scores/highscores tonight and I'll clean up the level editor more because I'm not happy with it.
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

CRUSH CRUSH CRUSH

I added moving platforms because I wanted something fun to do (and settings aren't fun).

I also changed the map format to serialise information instead of using a .txt (why I was using a .txt in the first place don't ask, I'm ashamed).

If you have any ideas for mechanics let me know and I'll consider it! Got a fair few already noted down, but the more the merrier?
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »

Decided to release this version today. Biggest addition is the level select. Level editor release tomorrow.

changelog

additions

added new border to level editor
added a center guideline to level editor
added 3 new levels
added screenshake which increases as green monster approaches
added level select
added level editor
added level editor saving over the last level (add new levels to increment last level logic)
added moving vertical danger
added total time and current attempt
changes

adjusted heart position so it is now above the lover
faded out green monster faster after you die
tidied up border
changed maps to use new border instead of invisible border
removed shadow apon hitting border, needs more work
adjusted camera catchup
changed level format to allow for more than 9 types of things
increased sinking time
fixes

fixed timer and text resets on level completion
fixed player clipping above lover

Download it here.
Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »

New version released! Includes save files, pause menu, new levels and new mechanics!

Download here!

Full change-log below.

changelog

additions

added green rectangle who runs away (will be explained more)
added a linger to the start of every level
added pausescreen accessed via escape
added best time system
added saving system
added speed up block
added 5 new levels
added new sliding blocks
changes

changed heart colour
removed shadow on collision with border
tweaked the collision box on the danger(red stuff)
fixes

fixed strange line that appears on the border
fixed up the border collisions
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »

This looks pretty cool / fun. I can clearly see where you draw your inspiration from, but it doesn't feel clone-ish at all due to its isometric 3d perspective. I know it's still early on but I can see you adding tons of visual polish to this. Gameplay wise it looks pretty cool. I'll have to download it to give more thorough feedback though.

Maliii
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »

Thanks! I was a little paranoid it might come across a bit clone-ish but its good to hear a second opinion. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic